5.0 out of 5 stars Forging Her Own Path to Stardom
Published on 13 Jun 2004 by C.J. Haldeman

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmmkay
i bought the album due to the first single (track 2) which was brill. slightly dissapointed with the rest of the album thogh which was a little to "me me me" for my liking.
Published on 22 Sep 2004 by mach1ne_5lave

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Forging Her Own Path to Stardom, 13 Jun 2004
C.J. Haldeman (Lewiston, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
Melissa Auf der Maur has filled the roles of bass player/backup vocalist for the likes of Hole and Smashing Pumpkins and as backup vocalist for Ric Ocasek (Troublizing) in the past. 2004 now sees her stepping into the spotlight with her own music. Apparently the apprenticeship in these other bands has enabled her to hone her skills as a bass player and come out with some very original and very rocking music of her own. Courtney Love should feel ever grateful that she had this talented musician an artist in her band for a few years. Melissa knows now how to create her own brand of alt-rock and also knows how NOT to do things, thanks to watching Love self-destruct several times a year.
In my opinion, there really isn't a dud on this whole album. The tracks run the gamut from radio friendly pop/rock "Would if I Could", "Taste You" to driving rock "Real A Lie", to the best alt-rock I've ever come across "Followed the Waves", "Head Unbound", "Lightning is My Girl", "Beast of Honor", "Skin Receiver". I'll admit that lyrically, I don't often get what she's saying, but it SOUNDS really cool, if that makes any sense? Skin Reciever is a good example of this - you'll see what I mean when you buy this excellent CD!
Melissa wrote almost all the songs on the album and called up her good friends in bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Tinker and Hole to help her out in the studio and add their bit of musicianship. It's nice to have so many friends willing to help out someone who's obviously very well-respected in her own right.
Not only should Auf der Maur be listened to for the driving, bombastic, ethereal piece of artistic rock that it is, but we should all support an artist who made this album by paying for it with her own money even before having a label to distribute it. Now THAT's someone who's in rock music for the right reasons, and obviously someone who is going to give her all to put out a great album. You haven't heard rock quite like this in a long time. You can hear Melissa's heart and soul in every track. Trust all these great reviews you're seeing here, you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightning is my girl, 22 Jan 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
In the modern music scene, too often female pop singers are relabelled "rock," no matter how light their sound. Here's the real thing: Melissa Auf Der Maur -- formerly of the Smashing Pumpkins and Hole -- debuts with a blast in "Auf Der Maur," pushing aside pop-rockers with her robust, bass-heavy sound.
It opens with a bang in the swoopy, searing, catchy "Lightning is My Girl," which adds a rather confusing spoken interlude before the sweeping buildup of "Followed the Waves." From there on, she gets into the cycling hard rocker "Real A Lie," the softer "Taste You," the bass-heaving roaring "Beast of Honor," and the playful rocker "I'll Be Anything You Want." It rounds off with the sprawling "I Need I Want I Will," which starts on an ominous gothic note, before falling into silence, and blossoming again.
Listening to this album, it's not hard to see why Melissa Auf Der Maur was in the Smashing Pumpkins -- she has the heavy, roaring complexity that many other rockers could benefit from. There's an air of confidence around "Auf De Maur," which seems to come from Auf Der Maur's extensive experience, and her undeniable talent as a bassist and singer.
Auf Der Maur has a solid voice that rises above her music. Don't expect her to do any vocal gymnastics, but her vocals are assured and confident, as if she's fully in tune with her music. Her songwriting needs lots of work ("Take one look at your cook/Feed yourself, I'm on a hook"), but it has some raw promise ("I'll see you in my dreams/Electrified and cherry red") and very evocative imagery.
She was also the bassist in both the Smashing Pumpkins and Hole, so needless to say she plays a mean bass on her own album -- complex, dark, heavy, and sinuously flexible. Her old bandmate James Iha and Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme offer their own talents, with Homme cowriting and playing solid guitar, and Iha offering his talents to the solid "Head Unbound."
Melissa Auf Der Maur's debut shows the polish of many years in other people's bands, but she's strong on her own two feet, in her own unique sound. An imperfect but solid debut, and one that promises good things yet to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goth tinted radio friendly hard rock., 1 Mar 2004
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
From the opening of 'Lightning is my Girl' this album shows its true colours. While it is certainly painted with the same sonic palette as Melissa Auf Der Maurs previous work as bassist on Hole's Celebrity Skin and with Billy Corgan in Smashing Pumpkins, the lyrics and riffs belong in an old fashioned 70's rock album.
The first few bars and lyrical phrasing of Lightning is My Girl reminded me (bizarrely) of Hawkwind and the closer 'I Need I Want I Will' could easily be a cover version from some lost archives of psychedelic rock.
In addition to the excellent "Followed the Waves" there are several candidates for a follow up , "Taste You" , "Real A Lie" , "Lightning..", "My Foggy Notion", "Would If I Could" and "Skin Receiver" are all good powerful, riff laden songs with decent hooks and (unsurprisingly) excellent bass lines .
Even the weaker songs "I'll Be Anything You Want" and "Beast of Honour" aren't bad.
The former, sounds like a cross between something by Greenday & QOTSA and the latter is saved by a decent chorus.
An earlier reviewer referenced Tool, but the closest album to this that I can think of is "Mer de Noms" by "A Perfect Circle".
Less fraught than Hole, less weird than Smashing Pumpkins, Melissa Auf Der Maur's debut album is classy and refined by comparison but no less honest or touching and while the singing is by no means great, it suits the songs.
A fine contemporary heavy rock album; fairly accessible but with a site more gravitas than the likes of Nickelback.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the waves to you, 22 April 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellisa Is My Girl, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
I bought this album blindly. All I knew of Auf Der Maur was her acreditation in "Celebrity Skin" by Hole.
Let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised by this. People may go on about how her voice isn't too strong or whatever but it's perfect for what she's doing. I don't think she has ever claimed to be the new Courtney Love so power-shouting isn't exactly what we should expect.
It's more like new goth metal. ? . If they had metal and rock back in the 40s I always imagined it would sound like this.

An accomplished first album from this talented bassist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic debut solo album, 8 Feb 2004
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Melissa since her time with Hole and have been waiting a long time for this solo album.
The wait was well worth it and there isn't a single song on this collection that I would say had no worth at all. The lead single, Follow The Waves, is amazing and other highlights for me are Lightning Is My Girl, Taste This and Overpower Thee, the latter being a sparse piano driven song yet with haunting vocals.
One criticism I will make is that sometimes the music is better crafted than the lyrics and Melissa's singing but I guess that is to be expected from someone who specialises in playing bass guitar.
Overall this is a great album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Auf Der Maur's takes a Hard-hitting solo turn, 17 Jan 2004
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
Melissa Auf Der Maur (formerly of HOLE & SMASHING PUMPKINS) flys fast out of the gate with her fantasy-laced debut solo album. Did MS. Auf Der Maur play Dungeons & Dragons when she was a kid? It would seem as such with this record. Ethereal background vocals swirl over sampled trodding horses in "Skin Receiver", "Followed The Waves" (the first single) employs chanting as a hook, "Overpower Thee" is a quiet & goth piano ballad and "I Need I Want I Will" sounds like some sort of Prologue or outline for a good-vs.-evil-fantasy movie. But there are also the riffs. RIFFS GALORE. With Help from Friends like Queens of the Stoneage's Josh Homme and ex-Smashing Pumpkins' James Iha, this album has some masterful fret-work. Even with heaviness, darkness, and fantastical metaphors, theres still a sure-shot radio-ready gem on here called "I Would if I Could", which wouldn't have been out of place on her former band Hole's swansong "Celebrity Skin." This a great record, so buy it, put it on, ask the dungeon master, roll the 20 sided die, and prepare for a hard -hitting journey.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought and paid for, 15 Mar 2004
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
I fell into the trap again. Like a hundred times before. I heard "Followed the Waves" and what a superb song this is. An old (only just the right side of 50) crooner like me was seriously reminded of 70's style rock - riffy and self-indulgent, but ultimately harmless. And no bad thing. And then I had the rest of the album for my money. If I never listen to the lyrics and never scratch more than a millimetre from the surface, I will like this album for a long time. A bit like Evanescence. Deep is really my thing, but to appreciate deep, you sometimes have to get nearer the surface. And Melissa sure is doing it for me. Worth it for the riffs and the guitar sound and deffo to be played loud in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars impressive and beautiful, 30 Jan 2005
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
i love this album, i wasnt sure what to expect - i've always been a big fan of hole but mostly courtney but i was so surprised by this album it's gret and i cant stop listening to it!it's not as commercial as albums such as celebrity skin, it's heavier and catchy and very beautiful.i dont really understand how she's stayed in the background of bands before when she's a great solo artist and has a very beautiful voice.songs i listen to repeatedly are followed the waves, taste you and i'll be anything you want oh and overpower thee is beautiful. i'd definately recomend this album go on get it! lol i think i may have overused the word 'beautiful' but listen to it and i'm sure you'll see why! x

4.0 out of 5 stars definately damn good, but not brilliant, 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: Auf Der Maur (Audio CD)
well, i first heard "followed the waves" and instantly loved it, so went out and bought the album. unlike the previous writers, i felt the opening track "lightning is my girl" was a bit lacking with such a good song name, i was expecting better but after a while the song gets going well enough.
but from then on, i was happy as anything. the album really carries on brilliantly with "followed the waves" onto "real a lie" and my current favourite "head unbound", which has been criticised (along with the whole album) for poor lyrics, i agree they probably could be better, but they suit the songs so well, they're simple yet the songs come off quite huge.
its true the album may be lacking a real anthem, but i think "followed the waves" really substitutes that well, such a brilliant and different sounding song.
running out of things to say, but this album is damn good, could be better but im not entirely sure how it could be done. buy it and find out for yourself?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Auf Der Maur
Auf Der Maur by Auf Der Maur (Audio CD - 2004)