I am one of those paranoid types who constantly worries about my camera gear. I have UV filters on my lenses to protect them from scratches and I bought one of these air blowers to keep dust out from the sensor on my camera.

It is such a useful accesory. The blast of air from the nozzle is concentrated and powerful. I use it to give the rear element of my lenses a quick blast when changing lens and also to clear out the camera itself.

I have to say it does a brilliant job of clearing out debris such as dust and fluff, it really dislodges the particles and keeps everything nice and clean.

A simple but effective design that will last for many years and provide a great service for the minimal outlay.

I would say that this is an absolutely essential purchase for anybody who has a DSLR.
0Comment|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2012
This is an excellent product in my opinion. I originally bought a small grey 'puffer' style blower (with a brush on the end) from a local photographic shop, with the aim of removing a couple of small hairs that had managed to find their way into the mirror mechanism of my digital SLR. Rather than clearing away the hairs, the 'puffer' actually deposited yet more hairs from its brush. The small 'puffer' was absolutely useless. On looking through the Internet, I came across the Giottos Rocket Air Blower which I thought I would try. The product delivers a good, strong puff of air, which is still gentle enough to remove hair/dust from the inside mechanism of my camera. It worked first time and all of the hair (and brush hairs that the inferior puffer had deposited) were gone. The Giottos product was definitely worth the money.

In terms of its build quality, the product is built using strong, thick (but obviously flexible) black rubber. The air nozzle at the top is red rigid ABS plastic with a small hole through which the air is delivered. It can deliver both a gentle or strong puff of air, dependent on how hard you squeeze the body of the blower. In terms of application, according to the packaging, it can be used for computer and communication equipment, traditional and electrical musical instruments and photo, video and precision optical equipment. The packaging says 'Not recommended for CCD sensor cleaning'.

Overall, a good, solid product and money well spent in my opinion.
What a great air blower. I have been using Canned Air for years - expensive comes in a aluminum can and can't really be used on a digital sensor as it has cooling effects and can cause condensation. However, this is green and a great way to clean your lens and sensor. it gives a great air blow when squeezed and I have yet to not be able to dislodge dust from my camera.

Its a great price and any serious photographer, amateur or professional must have one in his camera bag. Also great for cleaning the keyboard of your computer!!!
on 13 February 2009
First thing to say is this thing is huge. When the box arrived I was surprised. This means you get a really good powerful blow of air. Just what you need if a DSLR sensor has an annoying spec of dust. I had a spot appearing thankfully at the edge of pictures so they were salvagable by cropping. I bought this on recommndation and it worked a treat, got rod of the spot straight away. Now this will stay in the camera bag in case I needit again. Highly recommened product.
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 January 2012
I bought this to add to our camera kit before a long holiday in New Zealand. I was slightly paranoid about how it might look on the X-ray at airport security ("Excuse me sir, what's this?" - "Oh, it's for cleaning dust out of my camera." - "Right, so why is it shaped like a hand grenade then?") but luckily it was not regarded as suspicious.

It has a good long nozzle and the air blast it gives is indeed very powerful. Simple but vital addition to anyone's camera bag.
on 28 April 2012
Within a month of owning my new DSLR I had annoying black speck on images.
When I removed the lens and looked inside the body I could see this speck, right alongside the focus points and needed to get rid of it.
I read LOTS and LOTS of tips on cleaning of sensor/mirror and decided to start with the easiest, least invasive method.
A few gentle puffs of air from this Rocket and all was well again.

Very happy. If you are new to DSLR's take the time to read your camera manual, and a number of 'how to' guides before you go poking around cleaning the innards of your DSLR.
on 6 April 2009
My Nikon DSLR had dust spots and I had looked into various methods (mostly very expensive) to get rid of them, as I didn't want to mess around inside the camera myself. A professional photographer advised me to buy a rocket blower and said that the inside of a camera is actually quite robust. You must make sure that when you take the lens off you hold the camera pointing down, then give it a blow with the rocket blower. I've use it once and it did get rid of most of the spots, especially one quite large one that's been there for ages, so I would definitely recommend this product.
on 9 May 2010
It did not struck me that a blower is such a handy tool.Recently required one as I now change my lenses more frequently. First thing that struck me when I received the package was, THIS IS HUGE! Nonetheless, powerful puffs!! It is fantastic at what it does - dislogdes dust. It also works great on keyboards and comes handy if you do not have wipes for your notebook screen.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 August 2009
I have a pair of Giotto blowers - the Q.Ball (CL 1102) and the large Rocket (AA 1900). Of the two, the Rocket blower gets almost all the use. Why? Well, simply because it's easier to squeeze and emits a far more powerful stream of air than the Q.Ball. The one advantage that the Q.Ball has over the Rocket is that you can tilt over the nozzle, which probably helps to prevent dust from falling straight into the blower when its left standing on the bench. However, if you have to buy one blower, unless you have very small hands (in which case, the small rocket is probably favourite) I recommend the Rocket and not the Q.Ball.

The design of the Rocket is a classic; it always reminds me of Tintin in Space. It's not all about looking pretty however, this blower is extremely capable. It dislodges all but the most stubborn of dust particles, and its clever valve stops it sucking from the tip back into itself. Note that its rear inlet does *not* have a filter, contrary to what some people may have you believe. However, I can't see that being a major problem unless you're cleaning space telescopes. Nothing is ever going to be cleaner than the atmosphere in which you're cleaning it anyway. Its cute little rocket legs help it stand up and prevent it rolling off onto the floor if layed on its side (my preferred storage method to keep it free of accumulated dust). Just get one - I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
on 28 November 2014
oooh I am in love with it, we have a great time , I can't live with out it .
review image