Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 March 2004
Having the first album and finding it absolutely brilliant, real tunes to laze to in the hazy summer sun, I was naturally thrilled to buy the second offering. After listening to the album several times I found it relaxing and easy going but it still lacked that tuneful melody that the first album had. After several more listens I can say I find this effort quite disapointing and tuneless in comparison to `simple things`. Maybe in time it will grow on me, but I really dont think so after the amount of times I have listend to it already.
on 3 March 2004
You could be excused after listening to Simple Things for expecting When It Falls to be an epic masterpiece, the likes of which the world has never seen before. In reality, it's merely excellent. Now don't get me wrong, I know full well that the style of music is similar to both La Femme d'Argent and All I Want by Air (Moon Safari) but if you get the music - and I'd like to think that I do - you can feel just how different it is in both this album and the predecessor. It's less... rough.
When It Falls isn't quite as great as Simple Things - it is still a blessing, however. Warm Sound, the first track feels quite fresh and relaxing, whilst Home, the second, is the instant fave. Track 8, Look Up is more upbeat and feels more light and animated (yet still more refined) than anything on Simple Things - some very, very diversity in song style pays off well here. There are a lot of great songs - nothing that's going to quite oust Destiny, but nothing that's going to hit rock bottom either.
This album, just to note, is definately a bit more alternative than Simple Things, hinting as others have put it at where Zero 7 could go. Very nice. But fortunately, they're only hints - the music is still there.
This is a good album - hell, it's fantastic.
Just don't get caught up in Simple Things and then expect the only improvement possible - perfection.
on 22 March 2004
On first listening to this album my initial reaction was one of confusion. I couldn't decide whether this new album could ever live up to its fantastic predesessor. I listened again and the melodies began to infiltrate. Zero 7 are infectious. This new album is actually great. Once you adjust to the fact it isn't 'Simple Things' you can really begin to enjoy. Brilliant vocals, soulful and heartfelt tunes coupled with Zero 7's trademark and distinctive sound make this album a must for any fan!
Having seen them perform this album live alongside tracks from 'simple things' has made me certain that their standard has definately not slipped! Buy it!
on 15 March 2004
I loved the first album, the second is simply more of the same. You're hard pressed to tell the difference between some songs, it just sounds like one album of the same tune!
To me there are a few standout tracks most notably 'Speed Dial Number 2' and 'Warm Sound', but the rest are pure background tracks, designed not to be taken much notice of.
A note about the laughable copy protection on this CD. It will freeze your computer if you try to play the CD using Windows Media Player or Winamp. I couldn't find any sign of the supposed 'compressed sound file' included as a compromise for us poor PC users. I don't own a standalone CD player, so how on earth am I supposed to play it?
Ironically it is possible to rip the tracks to mp3 and play them, which is what I resorted to doing.
Forcing your customers to rip the album in order to actually play it, when the problem was caused by trying to prevent them from ripping it, is a bit of an own goal. Sort it out!
on 12 July 2004
love it....unfortunately the cd cant be played on my computer by the player i choose as it is copy protected. so if you like watching visualisations whilst playing your favourite tracks, dont buy the digipack version(not sure about the other version). i shall be returning any cd,s i buy that restrict my freedom to choose. microsoft just got it in the neck for plugging there own player on there own software. now a cd is forcing me to use (in my opinion) a rubbish built in player. i did not spend thousands of pounds on a mediacentre/pc set up only to find some cd's wont allow me to use it. not impressed. Once again the greedy parasites in the music industry in there panic are shooting themselves in the foot. wake up littlepigs, your not looking ahead far enough.
on 9 July 2013
It is a CD that surprised by the subtlety and elaborate songs. There are alternating between a male voice and one female. You get to listen and have a willingness to listen again. A disc of pop music very well done, nice and without exaggeration. There is not a wasted track. The band is very little known, but must be listened to for evaluation. It's hard not to like. Very good! Note 8.5.
on 21 March 2004
Having played the previous album "Simple Things" to death for the last two to three years I was glad to see a follow-up album that's allowing me to do the same again for the next two to three years. A well produced and thought of album. This kind of music will eventually be the mature music of the future.
If you love life, people and sex then this one's for you.
on 9 December 2013
This is the album that introduced me to Zero 7. I'm no music afficionado but if I was the official Product Review sounds about right. All I know is that it's a nice, chilled out album that I can happily listen to on repeat. Good for fighting off road rage!

If you like Morcheeba you'll probably like this.
on 5 May 2009
I have had this album for over a year now and I'm still not tired of listening to it. It's like therapy for me at the end of a long and stressful work day. Beatiful vocals, amazing melodies. It takes me away! This album definitely deserves five stars and I would recommend it to anyone, without hesitation.
on 13 July 2009
I bought this CD on the basis of: A) Owning the first CD, Simple Things and B) other good reviews. When it Falls is good, make no mistake, but I prefer Simple Things. I also bought The Garden and again, it's good, but of the three, Simple Things still wins. But don't take my word for it, try them yourselves.