5.0 out of 5 stars Thank the lord for Rockstar North
Quite simply, ITS MASSIVE. I played it non-stop the day i got it and i've covered an area i would reckon equivelant to the size of Vice City and 60% of the map remains undiscovered! You know all the details, your CJ your back to revive your gang and avenge the death of your mother, so no need for more of that. Anyways, i don't have the time or words!
There are bikes,...
Published on 30 Oct 2004 by rickymuir

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ok
Published 12 days ago by DAVE BEBB

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank the lord for Rockstar North, 30 Oct 2004
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
There are bikes, street cleaners, Choppers, motorbikes and i believe aeroplanes, helicopters. TRACTORS, there are so many vehicles in this game you could probably waste a good couple of days messing around with them, thats without going into the customising. You can add alloys, bumpers, colours, nitro, hydraulics. Plus the handling is a damm sight better than in vice city, and since it was pretty ok this is a revelation.
Talking, as i was, about customisation, you can have beards, Elvis hair, B.A HAIR ( y'know B.A Baracus ). AWESOME. tatttos are there for the choosing, chains, tracksuits, jeans. The possibilities are endless.
Then there is the 'keep fit' element. Its strange at first, having to keep and eye on your muscle and stamina, but the excercises that you complete are so intuitive that you can't help but feel they add a certain 'something' to the game.
The visuals are awesome, the sounds are impressive. Pop-up's present but in a game of this size that streams off the disk you can allow some 'minor' flaws. Loading times are vastly improved.
I could go on but i won't since i'm off to play this awesome game some more!
Buy this game, you won't regret it. Just make sure you get it when you've got plenty o spare time.

5.0 out of 5 stars GTA: San Incrediblus!!!, 31 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
This is amazing. If you like the previous gta's you'll be in heaven with this one.
Plus's
- Three huge cities to explore - built-up areas scattered among vast countryside.
- The visuals and landscapes are amazing.
- The fact that you can swim and climb adds a whole other dimension to the gameplay. Just running about simply isn't enough to get the job done.
- You can go to the gym and work out, making CJ more athletic. The more you work out, the greater his stamina and power.
- Similarly, the more you use weapons / vehicles, etc, the greater your accuracy / reloading / handling becomes.
- The police are smarter, as are gang members.
- Great new vehicles! Bikes - chopper, mountain bike, bmx (with amazing bunnyhops), police bike, forklift truck, campervan, parachute (!), loads of new cars, etc.
- Two player gameplay!! You can activate the second controller for some double-team mayhem.
- Fight against other gangs to gain territory across the city. When your land comes under attack you must go back to guard it.
- You can buy car upgrades - body parts, nitrous oxide, etc.
- Take pictures and save them to your memory card!
- Great music ranging from Alice In Chains, Ice Cube, Billy Idol, James Brown.
- Unlike in Vice City, when you reach a blocked bridge at the beginning of the game simply jump off and swim across! You're under police instructions to not leave the area so when you get to the other side you'll have a 4star wanted level! Try exploring new ground prematurely with a few cop friends!
Minus's
- I don't think there's quite as much humour compared to vice city, but it's still really funny.
- Some of the blue 'blip' markers on the map are hard to spot when you're trying to speed across town.
- There is a girlfriend 'sims' aspect, which I find a bit annoying. You have to keep taking her out to keep her happy, which is kind of dull. I personally play these games to escape from female nagging, so understand my annoyance when this needy chick turns up on the scene!
- You can carry around a spray can or a camera - but not both at the same time - annoying!
Not many faults I've found so far. There are still all the plus's from the past games, but now other little gems like a skate park for your bmx skills, a fully-usuable basketball court, and usable arcade machines! The music's still great, the visuals great, the missions are much more varied than before - not just shooting and driving, but now challenges such as rescuing peeps from housefires and rhythm challenges along the lines of pa rappa the rapper.
Buy it now or be sorry later.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, only better, 30 Oct 2004
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
The first thing that struck me with this game was the voice acting. I sat there wondering - "Is that Snoop Dogg?" - "Is that Samuel Jackson?" - yes it is. So, on the acting front, the character voices are really tops, Rockstar having pulled out all the stops to make their characters sound good.
But what about looks? Well, I bought this game along with my first PS2 console on its release date, and being a veteran of Xbox and Gamecube, the graphics were initially very underwhelming on my big TV. However, it is clear when you venture further into the game, that this game has a certain sheen that graphically gives it the advantage over the previous two installments.
There is less popup, which means that the massive (and I mean MASSIVE) environment looks all the more beautiful than that of its two older brothers. San Andreas is not a city, but a *state*, containing three entire cities. I found myself driving around having fun for over an hour, only to check the map and realise that what I had seen was but a quarter of one city, and that I had yet to see not only the other three quarters of it, but ALL of the other two cities, and ALL of the massive expanse of lush countryside that connects them all together.
Luckily, the mission stucture is intuitive and leads you gradually into the game, which has been a strength of the entire PS2 series so far, so you never feel lost, even when you drive out into the country and lose your car. The same "bridge under construction" mechanic has also been used to stop the player from getting lost miles and miles away from his initial set of missions.
The three cities follow the same routine as Vice City and Liberty City, whereby Rockstar have based them upon real cities, namely Los Angeles (Los Santos), San Francisco (San Fierro), and Las Vegas (Las Venturas). The three cities stick loyally to the cities that they are based upon, which makes them fun to explore. However, being fictional cities, Rockstar have taken advantage of their artistic license to make the environments feel homely and huge, without being too much of a labyrinth to navigate.
This game is also very customisable, taking similar character mechanics as Fable, one of Xbox's most anticipated titles, which seems to almost mock Microsoft's big game that has been brewing for around twelve years, by simply chucking in things like new haircuts, tattoos, food to make you fat, exercise to make you strong and bulgy with muscles. This also doesn't feel like a gimmick. It gives the game certain RPG qualities, encouraging you to go on your own adventures to boost your statistics and improve your experience.
This game is packed with special features. You can now burgle peoples' houses at night, get yourself a pilot's license, play basketball, go dancing in a nightclub (and, quite bizarrely, in a "Lowrider" car with manual suspension). Play a game of boxing if you like, or perhaps go and get yourself kitted up with bling at the Binco clothes emporium - or maybe if you want, go around with a Desert Eagle robbing shops.
Of course, Rockstar wouldn't dream of taking out the things that made its first two PS2 GTA games so great, to expect to see the return of the Dodo, the taxi, paramedic, fire service, and vigilante missions, and a great selection of music from the early nineties - along with a hilarious selection of radio stations.
So, the verdict.
Should you get this game? Yes. It's an essential.
Should you buy a PS2 to get this game? If you have an Xbox, it might be worth waiting for - otherwise, yes.
Is it a revolution? No. But was it really meant to be? It's more of the same, only bigger, badder, and better.
Game of the Year? Maybe... but my vote's with Halo 2...

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - The game that changed me forever., 8 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
This game - it changed me forever. Somehow, I found out about it on the internet; all the things you could do - steal and drive cars, walk around and shoot things, you gotta bear in mind here I was 11 or 12 years old and the freedom and realness this game offered - wow, just wow. I mean, I would sneak down the stairs and go into my father's game cabinet (when he was out) and pick out Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - I bought it for him a few years earlier thinking it was a car game... not realizing what beauty I was holding in my hands - I would take it up to my room and put it on. Wow. I thought, just wow. I'm playing an 18 rated game, that allows you essential to live and breath in a virtual world and do genuinely just about anything that I can think of (well, within the constraints of the game). The games I had played prior to this were just either flimsy boring racing games or strategy games that would leave me in fury at not being able to complete it or whatever. I did, however, have The Simpsons Hit & Run - now that was a game I loved. Little did I know, it's core game play was literally based off Vice City. Anyways back to what I was saying; As I put the game on I promised myself I wouldn't do the missions... but of course you kind of have to do the first one, to get going. So I thought, `OK, I'll do this one, but that is it!'. Of course, that wasn't it.
But after the first mission, I explored this game. And dear God, what I had read and seen on numerous YouTube videos - it was true. You could do virtually anything you wanted. And it had been sitting downstairs, for 4 or 5 years right under my nose and I had no idea about it - can you imagine how annoyed I felt? In my first session of the game I felt alive; driving around Los Santos listening to the classic 90's heavy metal - and gradually I began to love all the other stations (Through this game alone I have now collected over 20 hip-hop albums, 10 alt. metal albums and 16 other classic albums on CD because the music chosen here is incredible) - and seeing all the amazing sights. It was amazing, I mean honest to God - when I accidently somehow drove into the countryside, I thought I was dreaming, literally. But I wasn't, and I bet many of you had the same experience as to thinking it was a dream. It was real, alright and it was and still is to this day the best video game I ever played.

This is because of it's simple complexity. By that I mean - I found it incredible how there was all this stuff to do, driving, walking, flying, sailing, cycling, getting fit, eating, in-game arcade games, gambling, buying houses, modding cars, dancing, killing people (no, I'm not a sadist), weaponry - all this, could be done with touch of a few buttons. Incredible, don't you think? And it wouldn't rub it in your face or make you over-use everything. It would let you decide what, when and how you would like to do something.
The plot of this game you ask? Is simple. A long-time, well known crook-gangsta comes back from Liberty City (Rockstar's New York) to bury and avenge his recently deceased Mum, but in the process discovers the corrupted police and the Ballas gang have taken over Grove Street. And you can kind of guess what happens from there - I mean if you've played this game or any other GTA game for that matter, than you will definitely know what I am talking about.
The free-roam factor was what appealed to me the most and since then I've come across numerous GTA-'clones' (more like rip-offs) and they just don't do what this games does. This game does anything and everything you could potentially imagine within a criminally active, living and breathing world. Now of course, if this game was just free-roaming and all the above mentioned - the world would have to be pretty big, vast, believable and detailed in order for it to succeed, right? Well that's what it is - what I just said. San Andreas - isn't a city, it's a state. This game is HUGE and by huge, I don't mean the size of a games' interpretation of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - I mean the size that can't even be put into context - it really is that big. And you'd think with such a big world - that there'd be very little detail. Wrong. Very wrong. Infact, I love the complex detail and little features you see around the state - every time I play it, I always see something new - whether that be a horse-betting station or just a hot-dog stand on the side of the road in the middle of the country side somewhere. The game is never the same twice - if you were to re-load it and take the same actions you did before, everything would be different! Several occasions I've had police cars ram me in the back of my car due to them being terrible drivers and letting their culprits go. I've also been in a mission when an actual plane came crashing down right next to me... infact I kind of drove into it and blew up myself... not a good move, I guess. But hey - that's San Andreas. And that's what makes this so good - take all of what I just said, add THE BEST game soundtrack ever made (ranging from hip-hop, alternative rock/metal, classic rock, soul, funk, dance, chat stations) and the funniest dialogue you will ever hear within a video game - you've got yourself one hell of a game.

Not everything is amazing though, I mean there are definitely pop-in issues when driving at tremendous speeds, and there are LOTS of glitches, and other strange things that happen (I shot a man in the head 19 times before he decided to stop getting up off the floor and getting shot at again). Sometimes, yes - this can be a nasty little pain that happens say sometimes in a mission but it is so rare and so miniscule - that you'll hardly notice it. I will tell you also there are some missions within this game - that are SO hard that you actually convince yourself that you will never complete it, but eventually with time, strenuous patience and a stress ball - you will.
Speaking of the missions, they are good. But you never really buy a GTA game for the missions, let's face it - you buy it for the free-roam. Now that's not to say that the missions are completely dull and boring because they are FAR from it. They are vast, energetic, sometimes furiously aggravating, but all the time exciting - so much can go on at one point, you actually wonder if you will get out alive. You never know with this game. You're usually given an objective, sometimes within a time limit (my worst enemy) but most of the time you just get the objective and take as long as you want. In fact, you could explore the entire game and then complete the task at hand. This adds to the sense of freedom I spoke of earlier. Without some time limit constantly and slowly driving you mad or a strict route or routine you have to take in order to get there and do the task at hand - it really is so much more enjoyable. The game does have it's own clock and weather system - and some missions do rely on the time of day (or night, for the brilliant burglary missions) as to whether or not you can actually start the mission or complete it within the hour or something. Always different, like I said before. The weather system by the way - is incredible... always changing and never the same routine.

The voice cast is superb, infact you have tons of people who you would NEVER expect in a game like this - including; Samuel L. Jackson, james Woods, Peter Fonda, Frank Vincent, Chris Penn, MC Eiht, Chuck D, Axl Rose, Phil Collins, Ice-T, Shaun Ryder - to name a few - and the weird thing is, you wouldn't even know this unless you watched the end credits (I did as it was THE first PS2 game I ever completed, believe it or not) and it's not as obvious unless you know their voices well. Each of the names I just mentioned, gets their fair appearance, Jackson the most.

The graphics are superb, well for 2004. I mean I'm not saying, `they are the best graphics you will ever see!' - because believe me, their not. But they are great. They look and feel very different from it's predecessors (III, Vice City). They are quite bold and everything is quite clear until you get up really close when it can become pixelated and a little blurry... but you're not really going to be walking head-first into a building the entire time you're in the game, are you? Pop-in is there, yes - but generally only at fast speeds and sometimes when you move the camera too quickly (this happens 1/10 times roughly per game session) - it's not really a distraction from what you're doing within the game.

The presentation is nice, your weapon `wheel' is nicely located at the top right of the screen in a little round-edged square with your life underneath in a red bar. Also is the wanted system, 1 being the lowest and easy to escape and 6 being the hardest and about as easy to escape as it is from Alcatraz... if you don't count the film.

As for the box and packaging it comes in; well of course - this is Rockstar so it's going to be top notch. You get a basic guide - however this isn't done like your average (press x to run, etc, etc) - it's done like 'a guide to the state of San Andreas'. It is geniusly crafted and looks lovely. Behind this, in the box - you get a map. An entire map of the whole game. This is really handy when it comes to wanting to find something in particular within SA. The disc has a picture of a artist-drawn-sexy-woman on it and it really gives you the sense that this game is going to be something very unique indeed.

Overall, this game is sensational, spite of what I said earlier, it actually is revolutionary as it did inspire Saints Row (that tot) and other game designers to go out and make a gangsta-style game with as much freedom as this - but let's face it, no one will beat Rockstar at their game. They invented, it and they will dominate it for as long as they are around. The game is my favourite of any console, any franchise and overall just an amazing game. If you haven't got it or played it before, then I suggest you do now - otherwise you will miss out on the greatest gaming experience you may ever have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 July 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
Why are there so many bad reviews for this game? This, in my opinion is the best GTA game there is! It's the only GTA game that has a proper storyline. In GTA 3 you're just a criminal running around doing missions for money. In Vice City you're a guy who just wants to take over the city. But in San Andreas you're Carl Johnson, a guy who wants to regain respect from his brother, as they fell out when their mother was killed. This involves Carl's family, his brother Sweet and his sister Kendall, and of course the rest of Carl's friends who are part of their hood. Yes lots of it is about gangs, but the main plot is to do with Carl's family.

After being released from prison, CJ returns to Los Santos to bury his dead mother. He gets a pretty unpleasant welcome from Sweet, and after the funeral Carl decides to stay in Los Santos and help his brother out, as he has a lot of problems; the Grove Street Hood are failing and losing lots of territory to the Ballas (their worst enemies) and Kendall is dating Caeser, a white man with a gang of his own which Sweet is strongly against. CJ has his own problems to deal with as well, with Officer Tenpenny trying to find ways to arrest CJ again, and enjoying himself whilst he does so.

The great thing about San Andreas is that it uses a lot of ideas from GTA 3, and you instantly recognise little things that have been re-used and improved in San Andreas. For example, Catalina, the crazy woman from GTA 3 works with Carl in a couple of missions. Also Laslow from Chatterbox in GTA 3 is now on a different radio station in San Andreas.

Another feature in San Andreas, one I had been waiting for before it came out is the ability to swim. Not only that, but you can also dive underwater (which is needed for a couple of missions). The graphics are brilliant, and now with the ability to swim you can do crazy stunts and not have to worry about hitting the water and instantly dying. The water looks far more realistic in San Andreas, in comparison to the solid blue coloured stuff in Vice City.

San Andreas also supplies you with a map, which is brilliant for missions or even just simply trying to find a place. This map is also far easier to read than the Vice City map, and it shows you what direction you're facing as well.

You can fly planes or helicopters much easier in San Andreas than in Vice City and GTA 3, and you can also fly really high and leap out whenever you like, so that you can parachute down to the ground again.

This is the best GTA game there is. Yes, there have been complaints about it but if you're mature enough to handle it then you'll have no problems. If bad language offends you then don't buy it, but I'm not a fan of foul language and I just don't notice it after a while. So by all means, BUY IT! You won't regret it. The comments about the graphics certainly aren't true - they're brilliant on my PS2, so why should they be any different on anyone else's?

5.0 out of 5 stars All Hail Grand Theft Auto-San Andreas, 5 Nov 2005
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
What can I say? This is simply the best game ever! Ever since I played GTA on a PSX demo years ago I have been hooked on this series! Having played all previous GTA's I didn't think life on the PS2 could get any better - how wrong I was. GTA-SA is a masterpiece, a work of art, a stroke of genius. To put it simply, if you owned this game I very much doubt it that you would want to buy another game ever again.
I have spent hours (and many sleepless nights that blended into days) playing GTA-SA, I have completed it twice, I have played it to the point of virtual PS2 meltdown and I always seem to find something new within.
From the ghettos of Los Santos to the Casinos of Las Venturas, from Cluckin' Bell to Burger Shot, from a street race to owning your own plane everything about this game is excellent.
There is only one very, very, very minor fault, and that is a matter of opinion, the graphics. On a few rare occasions you may experience some "slow-down" of the game. I say that this "problem" is a matter of opinion because you have to weigh things up. The game is massive with virtually no boundaries on where you can go and everything looks fantastic, a little bit of slow-down really does not matter to me, to others it may. To put it simply because of the sheer size of the actual gameplay area and the quality of the scenery a little slow-down is to be expected.
I recommend this game highly. Truly the only game you will ever need. This game is a must for all serious gamers.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love you Rockstar North, 5 Dec 2004
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
It's the 6th game in the Grand Theft Auto series and undoubtedly the best. Vice City was huge. You had a whole city to play around with. And now you have a state. The game is about 5 or 6 times bigger than Vice City with three major cities (Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas) and small country towns (Dillimore, Blueberry, Palomino Creek, Angel Pine, Fort Carson and El Quebrados). As in VC, the more you progress in the game, the more land you unlock. You probably know by now that you play as Carl Johnson who has returned to Los Santos after his mother has been killed. The missions then start, getting more and more difficult as the game goes on. CJ's two main enemies are Officers Tenpenny and Pulaski. They make CJ's life miserable at any opportunity. But, you shall have revenge....
Here is a list of some of the things you can do in San Andreas that you couldn't do in Vice City:
- Gain and lose weight depending on how often you eat.
- Change your hairstyle.
- Get a tatoo.
- Choose what sort of clothes CJ wears (torso, legs, watches, hats, chains etc.)
- Modify cars (eg. add hydraulics, new paint job, new wheels)
- Gamble (roulette, blackjack, wheel of fortune)
- Take photos and save them on your memory card.
- Go to the gym and get fitter.
- Take over gang territory until you have the whole of Los Santos.
- Do a parachute jump.
- SWIM! Your character is finally able to swim (on the surface and underwater.). The more you swim, the greater your lung capacity becomes.
- Burgle houses at night.
- Start fires or put them out with fire extinguishers.
- Hold two of the same weapon at once.
- Learn different fighting moves.
- Drive trains.
- Fly planes.
- Use stealth instead of going in all guns blazing.
- Play pool in bars.
- Use arcade machines.
- Ride bikes.
So, quite a lot then.
Another clever feature of the game (as if there wasn't enough already) is that according to what's happening in the game, the news reports on the radio will match it.
Speaking of radio, San Andreas has 11 different radio stations (Vice City had nine) all with their own style of music, except for WCTR, the San Andreas version of VCPR (sort of).
As San Andreas is so big, you don't have to drive to the other side of the state: you can now take a plane or the Brown Streak Railroad which stops at five stations throughout the state (Unity Station and Market Station in Los Santos, Cranberry Station in San Fierro and Linden Station and Yellow Bell Station in Las Venturas).
All the voices are excellently done, especially Officer Tenpenny who is voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. The pedestrians comment on your appearance and you can reply back in a positive or negative way. Recruit gang members to follow you around. Tell drug dealers to get out of your 'hood. San Andreas has it all.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a brilliant game, and I recommended it to anybody (over 18 of course....). It will take you a long time to complete, but hey, that's the point isn't it? Hope this has helped.
See you later. Officer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Superb, 5 April 2005
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
Being something of a sceptic, and working in the games industry, I took little interest in San Andreas when it was announced, remembering back to my passive opinion of Vice City. Everyone knew it would get good reviews, but when sites such as IGN gave it 9.9/10, and the average magazine review score equalled 9.6, you couldn't help but take notice; but then again it was the same with Vice City, which I didn't regard as deserving scores of anywhere near that magnitude. So, I didn't buy it on release and my interest soon died down again; it was only a couple of months later, when I was given a copy that I finally got to see what they were getting at. In one word, wow.
This is the ultimate GTA, it improves on all of the individual elements of past games (character control, driving, shooting etc), refining them so that they are individually strong (rather than just working as a whole, as in previous entries in the series), and then they added in a ton of extra content to make this perhaps the most comprehensive console game ever.
I won't go into details as to the whys and wherefores of plot and gameplay specifics, as 300+ previous reviews hav no-doubt covered that already, but what I will say is that this is probably the most fun game I've played in years. Each mission is tailored to introduce something new, exploiting all of the available mechanics, and aside from a few (really) annoying tasks, the mission element is incredibly enjoyable. Add this on top of the immersive freedom of a city 5 time bigger than Vice City (although counting the countryside areas is cheating a bit), crammed with things to see and do, as well as some hilariously humourous elements (Wang Cars, the Van-Kopf Hotel anyone?) and you have something that doesn't just beat Vice City hands down, it practically wipes it from existance.
This is about as close to a gaming masterpiece as I have ever seen, and people stating that it is just the 'same old' obviously can't appreciate what Rockstar have pulled off. Sure it's similar to other GTAs terms of core gameplay mechanics, but what were they supposed to do? Set it underwater, or on the moon? No, what they did instead was addressed all of the faults of the previous games to make the whole experience gel, and set it in perhaps the best scenario yet; the early 90's Hip-Hop era.
As a games designer by profession, I hate to think what hours the Rockstar North team had to put in to get this finished, but I hope that now they are all relaxing somewhere hot, proud in the knowledge that they have pulled off a master stroke of computer game entertainment. Pure brilliance.
Just as a final note, although all of the GTA games have carried BBFC certificates, I do feel that this is the only one to truly deserve it, as the frequent explicit language and graphic nature of some of the scenarios is entirely inappropriate for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Violence, sadism and really big guns., 12 Jun 2005
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
When I first opened the package containing GTA: San Andreas, I expected something big, something that beat Vice City.
I wasn't disappointed.
GTA SA was worth, in my opinion, every cent. Like in the two games before it (GTA III and Vice City) you are pushed straight into the game. It starts with a cutscene showing CJ, the main character, arriving back in Los Santos after a long time away to find his family murdered, and he has been blamed for homicide which he did not commit.
One of the main changes from the other GTAs is the fact that you control basically everything about your character. IF you don't eat regularly, you start to lose muscle, fat and eventually energy. Work out plenty, you beef yourself up. Eat too much or get out hardly ever, you get fat and loose muscle. Bike or run everywhere you gain stamina. And so on.
Another change is that there are bicycles to ride. Controlling them is basically the same as running in SA: hold down X to pedal, tap it fast to pedal faster. This consumes stamina, however, and eventually you will have to rest.
This time over also, there is no 'ooh what gang shall I devote myself to' trouble. You and your people are in a gang called the Grove Street OGs. Some of the enemy gangs are the Ballas, the Vagos and the San Fierro. They, of course, provide ample target practice.
Later on in the game, you will learn new abilities like how to rob houses at night. Some houses can be broken into, and their contents stolen. However, if you make too much noise the inhabitants will wake up.
Of course, if you put a bullet in their heads, it's easier. Make sure it's silenced though, or the police will be on you in seconds.
Like the other GTAs, San Andreas will take ages to complete. Hell, I haven't even finished yet. One of the best and longest games ever.
5 out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only the best, 3 Dec 2004
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) (Video Game)
You get a lot of people saying that this GTA is the same as all of it's predecessors. I can tell you that in part it is but then it has to be. For example: Fifa is always football, Gran Turismo is always racing. This game is doing missions for people, only this time they're your homies. As has been said in a lot of the other reviews, this game is a lot bigger than GTA: Vice City. Each island is around the same size as the whole game on VC. A lot of new cars are also involved and in particular cars you can do pimping missions as you could and still can do the vigilante missions in police vehicles. There are also new weapons such as the spray can which can blind opponenets for a while, enough to kill them while they're covering their eyes, and there is the shovel and also the fire extinguisher which can suffocate people. As well as new cars, there are new planes. From previous games, there is still the Dodo but now there are others such as skimmers (float on the water) and Shamals (private jets). You can also do pilot lessons where you learn how to do a clean landing instead of bouncing back up and how to keep control when tilting for a more effective turn. What does annoy me are Big Smoke's missions. Most of them are on motorbikes where you just drive while a guy on the back shoots and when the enemy gets away, he blames it on you because he can't shoot. Some good features (which are not in the previous games) are eating to improve fitness (eat too much and CJ (the main character) will get fat), Going to the GYM for a workout, going to the tattoo parlour, and getting a haircut. An improvement on what you could do in the last game is the ability to choose what you wear by going into a shop and the clothes that you were wearing before go back to your house in the wardrobe. The main thing that you can do this time is (once you've received enough respect) recruit your own homies which you can tell to stay where they are or to follow you. They can come in handy for particular missions. I only gave this game 4 stars because it just takes too long to get from A to B.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) by Rockstar (PlayStation2)
10.50