on 20 June 2012
Having seen very mixed reviews of these products and having used a lot of them myself I thought I would add my views. The fact that I am still buying them speaks for itself. At two houses I have rented I wanted to avoid aggravation about excessive numbers of holes in walls and command strips seemed to be the answer. I have probably hung as many as 75 pictures. The overwhelming majority have been perfect, staying in place perfectly and coming away from the wall so that you would never have known they were there. HOWEVER, I did have a series of three pictures that fell. Interestingly, the issue was not with the half that was affixed to the wall but to the half that was affixed to the pictures. They had been sealed with adhesive tape in the normal way and I stuck the strips to the tape. What seems to have happened was that the weight of the pictures caused the adhesive on the tape to fail. I believe the gum on the sealing tape had deteriorated in the sun. My recommendation would be to make sure the strip is attached directly to the frame itself, not to any paper backing that is there. It would have been helpful if 3M had provided this advice since most pictures have paper backing, but on the whole I don't think they were to blame for the problem I had,

Not one strip has ever detached itself from the wall, or from a frame (as opposed to the paper tape). One reviewer has been distressed at having some pictures fall off. All I can say to this is that you must be very sensible about how many strips to attach. You must also use commonsense as to what you use them for. I quote from the packaging: "DO NOT use for antiques, heirlooms, or other valuable or irreplaceable items. DO NOT hang items over beds".

Without wishing to sound unsympathetic this is a pretty clear warning that they are not 100% reliable in 100% of circumstances and I think most people would be sensible in their expectations. Used judiciously, these strips are a really excellent product - but don't expect miracles. For my part I would not use them for items of more than (say) 50x50cm unless it was very lightweight material. I can also reassure people that they really do come cleanly away from the wall - although I would caution that I have removed none that have been there for more than 2 years so I can't vouch for long-term performance.

I hope this helps any future purchasers.
0Comment|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2014
handy product, didn't have any problems sticking to the frame or the wall (painted plaster) - make sure you give them a bit of a wipe first, and press and hold for 30 sec. per the instructions. Heaviest frame I mounted was 400g, only used 1 pair per frame and so far no problems. Will update if any drop of the wall.
There are 4 pairs per packet, for a smallish frame you need 1 pair, for medium or heavier small frames you will need 2 and so on. Weigh your frames first as some of them are surprisingly heavy.
on 14 October 2013
I've never used these before. They're really very easy to attach and so simple to place on the wall, once in place they're very firmly hung and the large picture that I put up feels very safe. A brilliant product and will purchase more.
on 2 August 2015
Simple to use, great result. Not sure why you'd go back to nails, hooks and string. The strips are already in sets when in the packet, therefore if there are four strips, that includes both parts of the strip (the one that sticks to the wall, and the one that sticks to the frame). Note if you place them right at the edge of the frame, it would be visible side on, something to consider depending on where you are placing the frame. Perhaps consider not attaching the strip right to the very corner of the frame if hanging somewhere the frame would be visible side on.
on 16 February 2016
As an amateur photographer I have used these extensively around my home to display my handiwork. They absolutely are a great alternative to screws and nails. There are things to know, though.
Firstly, the fix to the wall is only going to be as strong as what is covering your plaster / plasterboard. Ancient wallpaper or paint will be the weakest link so don't be surprised if they fall down if you haven't redecorated for some time!
These small hanging strips are perfect for every sized picture I have put up from small to large.
Follow the instructions! Give the strips on the wall the required bonding time before finally affixing your picture. They will hold up to 1.8kg which is a lot for a picture!
And finally, feel smug about not drilling holes or banging nails into your walls.
I have only given four stars as I think these are just a smidge expensive - especially when you get through as many of them as I do! If your better half ever decides you need to redecorate the room with all your favourite pictures in, you'll be needing quite a few of these packs!
on 2 July 2013
Bought these when they came out 17081B, 17202, 17201,17206.so my reviews will be the same for all these as I have tried them all at home.

Easy instructions make it a doddle to put on and install at home. You shouldn't overload but overall, much better than cracking plaster with drill / hammer and there's no mess. Wish it was a cheaper though because I would buy many more.
on 15 August 2014
These are really handy! They do exactly as described - in my house the walls are pure brick can't gang anything without having to drill a hole which is a real nuisance!
Since trying these, these are all I use now to hang picture frames, canvases etc
Have also recommend to family and friends who have also started using
Really simple to use
on 30 June 2015
I'm using these to attach a number of small cork boards to the wall. They are easy to apply to the wall and haven't shown any signs of slipping or peeling after more than a month. You can easily detach your item from the wall thanks to the velcro interface but you have to make sure you do it in the right direction otherwise you can end up forcing the strip on the wall to move or detach. As for removing the strip from the wall, it's pretty simple to do and in my case didn't remove any paint or create any damage.

My main issue with these strips is that they leave a visibly large gap between the wall and your item because of the velcro interface. For example, if you wanted to flush mount a picture frame on the wall, well you can't because the gap would be the thickness of the strip.

Knowing this I would purchase again but being very mindful of the application.
on 24 April 2016
I love these things, got 5 packs a month ago and have since bought another 4. Slowly turning my house into a gallery, photo/picture frames 6×4 and 10×8 canvasses and even a shadow box (nothing too heavy inside). Ofcourse some have 4 strips on the back and others just need 2, depending on size or weight, alternatively you can always get the larger strips. It saves the bother of marking your walls with nail holes and the fun of missing the hook as you pass the picture frame over it to hang up. Don't know what they are like when taking pictures and the strips off the wall but to be honest when I do it would probably be for decorating anyway.
Didn't think they would adhere so well to some of my wallpapers but so far so good, I happy and will probsbly buy more soon.
on 12 December 2008
Got the medium size version of this to mount display boards on painted walls in the office. It was very easy to stick the strips on to the wall and board but the best bit was when we had to take down the display boards. You just pull the tabs away from the wall and like chewing gum, the tab streches and the whole thing comes off the wall with out damaging it!