5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!
Published on 10 Oct. 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I'm afraid I found this album totally disappointing. The selection of tracks was poorly thought out and crafted. I love my music but found that after four tracks I wasn't listening anymore. The choice of music did nothing for Katherine's voice and left me thinking she was unsure of where her register lay. I'm sorry Katherine, some of the work you do is fabulous but in my...
Published on 1 April 2006 by Michael J. Vickers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 10 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
Being a singer myself i found myself extremely critical of other singers, not liking Hayley Westernra and Charlotte Church. I think their age led me to criticise their maturity but the beautiful warm tones of Katherine Jenkins could not be criticised. All of the songs, especially Ave Maria, Miserere and Bailero, are beautifully sung and well produced. An excellent album that deserves to be more highly aclaimed, and i am waiting desperately for a song book, which i cannot find anywhere!!!Please bring one out!!Cannot wait for her next album a very worthwhile and enjoyable buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine debut, 28 Jun. 2005
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
I have come to this the wrong way round, having first bought and generally liked Katherine Jenkins second album, which is still in the classical chart after nearly a year and which won the Album of the Year award at the recent Classical Brits. Although this earlier CD also sold well, I suspect that I am not alone in investigating this album in retrospect and by comparison.
Katherine does have a wonderfully strong and clear voice, with little noticeable vibrato. Her diction is also quite clear, although less so than on the more recent album.
The material is firmly in the light classical drawer, with four traditional Welsh folk songs, a vocal adaptation of Bach's Air On A G String, and John Rutter's setting of the 23rd Psalm (I'd love to hear her singing the more traditional tune) added in for good measure. The arrangements (some done jointly by Jenkins herself) and orchestrations are generally in tune with her singing - on a couple of numbers I thought the backing was a little strong, and on a couple more there's an unnecessary additon of electric bass and modern percussion, though it's not over-intrusive.
In summary this was a fine debut album - it's not as smooth and polished as the later one, and the repertoire is not quite as populist, but it is just as enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars VEry nice, 18 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
Amazon, thank you for delivering this in under two weeks to my home town in South Africa. This is truly a remarkable cd, and even a more remarkable performer. You will have to buy it!!!! Her versions of Bailero, Caro mio Ben(Perfect), Lascia Ch'io pinga, Miserere(Wonderfull) and Ave Maria are brilliantly performed. Strong voice, clear and pitch perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, but too short, 11 Oct. 2007
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
Premiere is the first of 2 CDs released by Katherine Jenkins in 2004 and, as its title suggests, is her debut album. It is notable for several reasons- it reached the no.1 position in the classical charts where it remained for 8 weeks, and marked the beginning of the biggest recording contract in UK classical music history (reportedly worth £1 million) when the singer signed to the Universal label.

I have to say that, for a debut album, and particularly considering Katherine's appearance, I thought the cover picture and the sleeve pictures are slightly drab, although sales figures for the CD suggest her fans think otherwise. This presumably is the image that Universal wanted to portray, although it's interesting to see the marked transformation of the singer's appearance to a sharper, more glamorous one on her following CDs.

I have no complaints though about the choice of music on this CD, other than at 45 minutes long there's not enough of it. It's a mixture of classical, opera, traditional and crossover styles, with a few Welsh and Italian lyrics thrown in for good measure. The emphasis is on classical and operatic music, and amongst these can be found my personal favourites.

The aria `Lascia ch'io piango' (let me weep) from Handel's opera Rinaldo is a piece which everyone seems be including in their repertoire these days and this is a lovely version, sung largely in its operatic form, without the vocal embellishments which is a modern trend which I think often spoils this beautiful piece.

Another popular classical (or more accurately Rennaissance) piece is `Miserere' by Gregorio Allegri. This time the traditional score is discarded in favour of a quite individual version full of vocal improvisations and a subtle orchestral and choir backing which enhances the music to great effect. At four minutes long I think this track deserved to be extended to something approaching Allegri's 15 minute original.

My other classical favourite is an unusual version of Erik Satie's famous (thanks to the Bournville chocolate TV advert) `Gymnopedie No.1'. The combination of harp and vocals make this an interesting and highly original transcription from the popular piano version.

Other tracks include the traditional piece `The Ash Grove', sung in Welsh, and Bizet's opera favourite `Habanera', sung in Italian.

The album closes in suitable style with the nice hymn-like `Bread of Heaven - Wales Victorious', sung of course in Welsh.

This is a great (but far too short) CD which will appeal to audiences of many musical styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars premiere katherine jenkins, 3 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
I think Katherine has one of those crystal clear voices that sends a shiver up your spine. My personal favourites are Ave Maria, Bailero and Sweetest Love. I can't wait for the next album to come out and you can order it now! Of all the female vocalists out now, only Hayley Westenra comes close to Katherine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Jenkins Premiere, 24 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
This album combines hymns and aria with tunes I was unfamiliar with until I listened to this album. My favourites are 'The Lord is My Shepherd', a passionate version of 'Habanera' (of course, taken from Bizet's Carmen) and 'Guide Thee O Thou Great Redeemer', a favourite among the Welsh Rugby Union fans. The pictures of Katherine contained within this book are lovely. However, I was unsure about the whole 'girl next door' look for Katherine; although Katherine is a photogenic lady who suits whatever look she uses and any style of photograph, I think the glamorous opera star/diva look which she was to later develop suits her best. Then again, maybe the reason for the 'safe' choice of image and photography is because this was Katherine's debut album & so, at the time of the album's release, her management team & stylists were still undecided as to what image she should go for. Overall, an impressive debut and a beautiful lady with a voice to match!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great album, 3 Oct. 2012
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
It seems odd to think that at one time, Kathryn Jenkins was an unknown teacher that sung a bit; she has become one of the most sought after mezzo-sopranos in the classical world.

This was her first album and it contains some really good tracks; a nice mixture of classics with quite a few traditional Welsh songs. She does justice to all of these and it's an album that stands the test of time. Although not her best work, it is still a very good collection and one that is worth listening to more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Jenkins is a Star, 29 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
I've been lucky enough to hear Katherine singing songs from this album in concert recently - and I'm going to be the first in line on 5th April to buy my copy! Katherine has such a beautiful and unique voice, I feel certain that she is well on her way to stardom. Songs such as Ar Lan y Mor and Cymru Fach show that she is still a Welsh lass at heart. Good luck Katherine!

4.0 out of 5 stars SHame about the finale..., 12 Nov. 2013
W. Bustard (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
This is certainly an impressive debut with some lovely songs beautifully performed - just so long as you remember to stop before the last song Cwm Rhondda/Bread of Heaven. This track is backed by every orchestra and military band that could be found for the occasion and is - in my opinion - ridiculous. What a shame!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Début album!, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Premiere (Audio CD)
Like many debut albums, this album contains several musical styles (I think this is intentional, the idea is still present the singer) and it does not have much drive. However, the beautiful voice of Katherine and arrangements greatly value this disc. How many singers have a debut album of this quality?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Premiere
Premiere by Katherine Jenkins (Audio CD - 2004)