5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as it was on TV
There are two versions of the match in this box.
(1). Exactly the same as was transmitted to our TVs on the day. Albeit with Aussie coverage (I think it was VERY fair and unbiased and I LIKE it),
and,
Published on 1 Feb 2005 by J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected !!
Having read the previous reviews for this DVD, I eagerly ordered my copy and when it arrived yesterday I was over the moon...especially after losing to France at the weekend.
Published on 30 Mar 2004 by Quinny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected !!, 30 Mar 2004
Quinny (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
I rushed home to re-live the fantastic occasion and was very disappointed. To be fair, I’ve only watched the game so far, and the extras might be excellent, but the game is what I wanted.
Its annoying from the very beginning, the camera angles are terrible and don't seem to be able to keep up with play...nearly all the shots are from ground level, so you don't get the full picture. After 10 minutes of this I had a headache ! It soon became clear that it was Australian camera's, e.g. whenever Jonny has a kick at goal, you don't see the ball go through the posts...you're busy watching the reaction of the other players, but you get to watch all of Elton's attempts.... this is even the case for the winning drop goal !! I never imagined that a DVD of the final wouldn't have the famous drop goal replay we've all seen.
Oh, and despite the reviews, you do get the Australian commentary…( but that is quite funny)
That’s the worst of it...I was personally, very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is history written by the losers ??, 26 April 2004
CAK (Middleham, North Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
My anticipation awaiting delivery of THE Final was hard tobear.
Everything about this double DVD set looks brilliant, but!
THE Final is the Australian Version, no they don't win, but the commentryis by 2 Aussies, who think the match is between the homeland and theconvicts!
Enough now!, the main point is that, the action is all from pitch level,it's very fast moving,actually too fast, as it follows close up veiws ofball and players faces & hands.
You don't see the goals,honest, you see Jonny kick but it just goes offinto the night, where as the Wallabies goals are shown in full.
If youcan get the UK TV broadcast which follows the play AND surrounding action,I would do

1.0 out of 5 stars Rugby World Cup - The Final, 30 Mar 2004
GRSLATER (Fryerning, Ingatestone, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
I've been waiting for months and the end result for me is bitter dissapointment. What I wanted was the opportunity to watch this magnificent and exhilarating game of rugby all over again and whenever the mood caught me. What I got was more like an art house movie. The action is mainly in close-up and the camera angle switches constantly making it impossible to get any sense of continuity and perspective.
For example, when England get their first points you see Wilkinson (in close-up), you see him preparing, you see him kicking, you see him waiting (all still in close-up) and then the commentator tells you that the ball has gone between the posts and England have scored three points, BUT YOU DON'T ACTUALLY SEE IT.
Forgive me, but isn't the idea to see the whole game or is it just enough to see an Australian kicking for touch and the camera staying on him (yes, in close-up)until the ensuing line-out takes place?
Not what I expected, not what I wanted and I suspect many other rugby fans will be similarly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as it was on TV, 1 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
There are two versions of the match in this box.
and,
(2). The wide angle shots from one or two cameras around the ground that are sometimes used in (1). This is not so good. But I brought it for (1) and that gets 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just to clear matters up..., 12 July 2004
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
...so far all reviews have been of 'The Movie', i.e. the first track on Disc 2. The first track on Disc 1 is the final as we watched it live, with replays, balls going betwene posts etc etc. OK, you still get the dire Aussie coverage ("This must be the stairway to rugby heaven!", "Surprise surprise, Georgie's going for the points!"), but the match is there on Disc 1. The fault is in the packaging, which doesn't advertise this fact.
Overall, an excellent souvenir package, and you know that the dropped goal will come on at parties time and again. To be recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Camera footage?? WATCH DISC 1! It's Perfect!, 4 April 2004
David Howard "ukdolfan" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
The reviewers who gave this DVD 1 out of 5 and complained at the Camera footage and saying you can't see the scores taking place must have forgotten to have the sense to watch Disc 1 in this double DVD set! Disc 1 is the exact replay of the TV footage seen in England, just with the Aussie commentators who do a great even handed job of this great sporting event! Every minute, every point is as clear as a bell with great camera shots!
Disc 2 is a combination of a Widescreen movie version of the file with really close up camera angles of every play looking at the players reactions etc for the connaiseur, followed by Martin Johnson views being spoken over another run of the highlights.
A superb 2 DVD pack for a great price of this great English Sporting victory and a great DVD to sit alongside the 'England's Story' Double DVD with gives highlights of all of Englands games with great interviews with the players after their return home.
Just a shame the moaners on these reviews didn't have the brains to watch DVD 1 in the World Cup Final pack! HaHaHaHa!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Match Camera Footage, 1 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
The match was a heart stopping, gut wrenching experience for any who watched the final.
I was looking forward to receiving this DVD as a souvenir of how we got to be the world's greatest rugby team.
"The Match" footage was very poor in the fact that when drop goals or trys were scored the cameras were looking the other way. It gave you no idea what end of the pitch was being played and was for 97% of the time shot from the sideline camera crew.
The Australian commentary was totally biased towards the Australian team, it least the ITV/BBC coverage was equally shared between the 2 teams.
The score or time remaining was not shown during the match which also in my opinion added to the tension.
I only wished I had recorded the final on the day.
The rest of the DVD is great and will be treasured for many years to come, I do recommend it although it's a shame we never had the British commentary and the extended footage after the match.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 9 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
Don't buy this DVD. I don't know who 'Lace' are but the coverage is truely terrible- no overhead shots to show where the play is on the park, awful zooms, not showing kicks go thro' posts, only close focus on players. It makes you realise how good sports coverage is in the UK. I'm a rabid rugby fan, but I stopped watching this after 10 mins. The RWC commercial arm should be ashamed.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 26 May 2004
Mr. C. P. Hastings (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
My only critisism (which has already been pointed out) is that the commentary is the Austarlian version and not the English version. And this seems true for all the other dvds available too.
But even then, its not the commentary that matters, its the match content.
Its a great DVD which can be kept for ever (unlike a taped VHS version which will soon rot away) so get it for just that reason. Watching it back makes you realise what we achieved (its just a shame about the poor performance we gave in the following 6 nations championship. What Happened?!)
But overall, its well worth the buy. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Versions, 6 May 2004
This review is from: Rugby World Cup 2003: The Final [DVD] (DVD)
To those of you who have discussed the poor quality of the footage and other potential buyers. The DVD has two versions of the match, a standard 4:3 (Disc 1) and a widescreen (Disc 2), both with different footage. I agree, from the little I bothered to watch of the widescreen, the camera angles were poor, but the 4:3 has far better coverage, more like the UK broadcast. It doesn't make it clear that there are two versions but I would recommend the 4:3 aspect movie. Enjoy, it is a brilliant moment!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›