5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaininly funny, if somewhat zany film//.
Published on 21 April 2002 by mike-boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, but endearing
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by Lili_K

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaininly funny, if somewhat zany film//., 21 April 2002
With Sarah Sugarman's films you can expect the unexpected, her comedy and humour can be somewhat unorthodox, madcap and zany, but her latest offering, Very Annie Mary, is her best so far. Set in a South Wales valley it tells the story of a baker and his daughter, (who is still living at home and helping in the business), and the trials and tribulations she has to endure when she is left to look after her ailing father following a siezure. Not a normal topic for comedy but this film succeeds where others would not have dared to tread. Also look out for welsh celebs in the background to the main action, Ruth Maddock and Maureen Rees, (from tv's Driving School), to name just two. Buy this video now and after having watched it you'll then want to be on the look out for others from this inovative director, Sarah Sugarman is in a league of her own regarding the films that she makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed till I cried, 30 Aug 2003
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is a brilliant film, I swear I know half the people in it, and my mother knows the other half !! It is very welsh, and I do think being welsh helps you understand the humour, the part where they are wheeling the coffin down the hill on a bike, and someone offers to help.......I can hear my dad saying that ! its a must see film, in fact i'm going to watch it again this afternoon, absolutely brilliant !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great British film!, 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This film was a huge and very pleasant surprise to me - purchased in a hurry with a number of other DVD's to keep the kids quiet while on holiday we sat down to watch, I was half expecting an American Teen Movie as I'd only glanced at the cover and what I got was what should be a british classic in the same league as The Commitments, 4 weddings & a funeral, etc. Brilliantly scripted and beautifully filmed it did what any great movie should do - it made me laugh, it made me cry, it left a great lasting impression when it finished, and it made me wish the film was longer! This is definately a film that I could watch again and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Annie Mary, 13 Feb 2003
Mrs Debra J Fuller (Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I first saw this little gem on a long haul flight and had the crew and my family looking at me in utter disbelief as I laughed out loud!
It is hilarious...although you have to have a Welsh sense of humour (I do; and yes we do have one!)to see all the nuances of Welsh life.I love everything about this film...the gorgeous Rhys Ifans as a gay sweet shop owner was a treat,as was the scratch and sniff Bibles..."Jesus rode into Jerusalem on an ass...scratch here" Absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not without its faults, but..., 29 Jun 2004
It's probably difficult for any Welsh person (particularly any Welsh Jonathan Pryce fan!) to avoid giving this movie 10 out of 10. Yes, okay, it's overly sentimental and Rachel Griffiths's accent tends to slip in and out of gear but there are some terrific (genuine) Welsh accents to enjoy and the central cabaret act (Hinge, Minge, Twinge, Fringe and Brackett) has to be seen to be believed, not to mention Pryce's Pavarotti impersonations. It's a number one favourite with the victims of the Welsh diaspora!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gem!!, 12 Mar 2007
Josephine (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is definitely one of my favourite films of all time. It surely ranks up there with the very best British films like Four Weddings, The Full Monty, Saving Grace and Billy Elliot. I have lent my rather battered copy of the video to several friends, all of whom were delighted with it. I'd recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour who wants to see a funny film with real heart. I love the constant fund-raising efforts by local groups which just go on in the background (like a Giles' cartoon), and the frequent references to 'poor little Bethan Bevan'! The funniest moment for me, though, is where she leaves her father carelessly plonked on the edge of the bed after he's had his stroke, and he just slides off onto the floor! Wonderful! And I always cry my eyes out at the end. It's so beautiful, without being over-sentimental or crass. I'm off to buy the DVD now to update my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars surreal riches, 6 Feb 2006
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is a great movie - one my boyfriend has kept mentioning but despite his reservations in case he had overstated it all four of us watching laughed and laughed.
We are going to have a re-run because there was so much going on that we missed.
The whole seems surreal at the same time as drawing on human characteristics & situations that we all recognise.
The colours and textures of the sets and costumes were rich and gave a wonderfully appreciative sense of life despite the difficulties the area and characters faced.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem., 23 Mar 2004
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I bought this film as it was in the sale and had good reviews here, although I was sceptical about reports of laughing out loud. But it really did have us laughing out loud! Some scenes are set up very cleverly to make you wonder what is coming next or to expect a certain outcome, but what follows is so unusual that you could never ever have guessed it. I was hoping it would be one of those beautifully balanced British films, that never go too far over the top, that base their humour on the absurdities and tragedies of real life and that leave you with a warm feeling (in the vain of Brassed Off and The Full Monty). I was not disappointed. A few pounds well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach yourself Welsh humour..., 6 Mar 2004
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
You don't have to be Welsh to enjoy this film, but it certainly helps. For sheer laugh-out-loud moments, this takes some beating. Rachel Griffiths is wonderful as the eponymous heroine, and the supporting cast do a great job - especially Rhys Ifans and Ioan Gruffud as the gay sweet shop owners.
For those who enjoyed this film, try watching `The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain`.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, but endearing, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Very Annie Mary is definitely one of the weirdest films I've seen and has some of the weirdest characters, including Annie Mary in the major role, but at the same time it certainly has its appeal and leaves a strong impression. Makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you wonder. The story sounds simple when reading the summary, but you have to watch the story to see what can lie behind "simple" things. Like Annie Mary seems simple, simply simple-minded with not much to say or to think or to feel - but it's only the surface. You can see that Annie Mary has her own dreams, feelings, desires and is willing to fight for them, even if she does not / cannot do it like "normal" people do.

Rachel Griffith was great in this role, evoking all kinds of cathartic emotions: pity, liking, strong dislike sometimes and respect.

Sometimes I still don't know what to think of this film, but I certainly won't forget it in a long time to come.

Very Annie Mary [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]