5.0 out of 5 stars What a Start!
This is truly the best album of this year, and perhaps the best of the new milennium. All the songs have their good points, and unlike on most albums, there are no songs that are just there to fill in time. Jacqueline is a good start - the slow opening developing into a fast-paced foot-tapper. Tell Her Tonight, is, for me, the one disappoinment, I find the vocals...
Published on 19 Aug 2004 by Oli Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
I liked this album, there's no doubt about it, but I found it extremely rough. While the lyrics were well written, they come off as slightly pretentious, and the main vocals can be a little lacking at points.
Nevertheless, Take Me Out and The Dark of the Matinee are both brilliant tracks, as is This Fire and Auf Asche.
It's definitely for a britpop lover, and...
Published 4 months ago by Louise

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Franz Ferdinand, different and exciting, 5 Jan 2005
Ryan Mackin (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
I believe this is the band to save us (and the music industry) from falling asleep with the same old boring pop. I first heard of Franz Ferdinand at the beginning of 2004 with their hits Take Me Out and Matinee, needless to say I was impressed. I wanted to get the album but thought of it as a gamble as they might only have released the best songs on the album, but as soon as I heard the first track on the album (Jaqueline) I knew that Franz Ferdinand were something else. My expectation levels grew song by song and time after time I was satisfied and was proven wrong about my thoughts of 'might be one hit wonders'. Not one song on the album is wasted, they are all great but if not at first the tracks (namely Tell Her Tonight) will grow on you. The album sounds like something out of the early 80's which makes great listening to anyone of any age. The sound of Franz Ferdinand's debut album is refreshing and has given hope to the music industry that not all bands are the same old boring plastic pop (Busted and McFly especially). All of Franz released songs are excellent but unreleased Jaqueline and 40 Feet have got to be listened to. The self entitled album is one of the few that can be listened to and enjoyed the whole way through. What annoys me is the dismissive comments about Franz Ferdinand when most of the people making these comments have never listened to the album. I have managed to change some of these peoples minds and they have begun to like Franz so that shows that they aren't too bad after all. Franz Ferdinand aren't boring art freaks but even if they are were there is no way that, by proof of the album, they don't make great listening. Clever lyrics, great beats and quirky rythms make the album what it is. Thanks to the music style, fashion and Alex Kapranos' vocals, that make this band the most recognisable anywhere. Even as type this review I listen to this album which once it has a grip of you won't let you go. No wonder Franz Ferdinand's debut album has been a hit both sides of the Atlantic.
P.S.
Look out for these guys in the future, they look set to get bigger again and let's hope their second album is just as good later this year.
Thank God for Franz Ferdinand!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is "Superfantastic", read and find out why, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
This may not be helpful, I‚€™m only 16, but I feel everyone has to know how great this album is.
The majority of this album lives up to all the hype and expectations that surrounded its release. The only tracks that disappointed me was "This Fire" and "40 Ft". "This Fire" is one that I think is more of an overall disappointment, it just does not live up to the standards of the other songs, though I do have the pleasure of saying that you can enjoy it a lot more when seeing it performed live. "4O Ft" is more a personal let down as I felt it was a poor way to end the album. Although I felt those tracks were a let down, the other tracks more than make up for it.
"Jacqueline" and "Tell Her Tonight" are both great head nodding, feet stomping tracks, a good way to open the album. Following with singles "Take Me Out" and "Dark of the Matinee" both of which everyone knows and loves are definitely amongst the stand out tracks. Slowing things down a little with "Auf Achse" its a good song, and compliments the album, as do "Cheating on You" and "This Fire". "Darts of Pleasure" is another stand out track.
The next track is my personal favourite, first time I heard it I thought its really good, very catchy. Then I was at T in the Park and heard it live, now the only word to describe it is amazing!The story behind the song i heard is it's about their friend who had one gay experience with a guy called "Michael", those lyrics are real and this song is legendary. I don't think it will get the same recognition as "Take Me Out", though it does deserve it. Its truly genius lyrics and a super piece of music.
The next track, "Come On Home" makes me feel very patriotic, just because the fact that these four guys are Scottish, as am I. Its another good song. They end the album with my least favourite song "40 Ft"; it depends on your own personal taste.
This album is "superfantastic" and well worth buying, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, go! Even tracks you may not like sound ten times better, you won‚€™t be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Franz Fantastic, 16 Oct 2004
Graeme S. Hay "Media Junkie" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
Without a doubt one of the top albums of this century! With tracks like "Take Me Out", "Matinee" and "Jaqueline" there is no stopping this group.
I first saw Franz Ferdinand when they were performing in a Glasgow club and I was transfixed! When I heard they had released the single "Darts of Pleasure" last September I couldn't believe it! With the release of their album earlier this year I rushed out to buy it and since then it has become an enormous success.
With their unique style, "cool" dress sense and wicked personalities these Glasgow boys are set to become bigger and bigger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me Out, 10 Jun 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
Franz Ferdinand is one of the best albums i've bought this year. I heard the catchy Take me Out and had to buy the album, and there follow-up tune Dark of the Matinee isn't bad either. I would recomend this album to anyone. My fave tracks on the album are Take me Out, Dark of the Matinee, auf achse and the best by far Track 9: Michael. It's a fantastic album and i'm sure you won't regret buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Franztastic!!, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
This album is one of the best albums I have ever bought! It has catchy and danceble tunes! Jaqueline is the opener which keeps you on your toes. It starts of slow and then turns into danceable chorus line which really is fantastic! Tell her tonight is OK. It's like a Bowie/Talking Heads/Roxy Music type song. It's not their best. Then... TAKE ME OUT! Unarguabley the best song on the album. This song also changes. It turns into a really catchable tune that makes you want to stommp your feet to the beat! Matinee is a danceable one with a fantastic chorus. Auf Achse is good with a chorus different from the verse. Cheating On You is good also with a catchy guitar riff. This Fire is the baddest one on the album. It's not really bad but compared to ones like Take Me Out and Michael it is. Darts Of Pleasure was the debut single and I can see why. Very good lyrics. Michael is the next single of the album following Matinee in April and Take Me Out in February. You can't beat this song! Weird lyrics but a truly great song! Come On Home is Ok with good verses but a bit of a slow and boring chorus. 40ft is the dark song of the album but very good.
Best songs: Jaqueline, Take Me Out, Matinee, Michael and 40ft.
Worst songs: Tell Her Tonight,Cheating On You and This Fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad.... not bad at all...., 28 Nov 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
Well, this album is one of those things that's quite hard to figure out. First time I listened, I hated it. It sounded boring, repetative, and just plain dull. So it was consigned to gather dust. But recently, having heard it going on in the background, I began to slowly fall madly in love with it. It is still repetative, but now that's one of its main draws. If you like one song off this album, chances are you'll love them all. A rather fantastic debut, one well worth a listen. Not quite 5 stars though, as a bit of variety is sorely missed, and I feel it has a certain "love it or hate it" quality about it. Oh well, give it a go! you might just like it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Arch-Dukes of Rock, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
This album is a true great; the best British band since Blur, these Art School Scottish Rockers are witty, pretentious and sharply dressed - this is what pop music should be - plus they've got bags of killer tunes.

After storming into the public consciousness in 2004 with hit singles 'Matinee' - any band that can include a paean to Terry Wogan in a song and retain credibility are alright by me - 'This Fire', a barnstorming anthem that is all spiky guitars and frantic drums, and 'Take Me Out', a rolling, tub-thumping addictive gem of a song; Franz Ferdinand were ubiquitous for the next three years. Final single 'Michael' completed a quartet of Top 20 singles and the band won the coveted Mercury Music Prize to boot.

I saw the band live at Manchester Arena in 2007 and they replicated their studio quality in fine form, all four members played drums simultaneously on an awesome version of 'Take Me Out'. Dismissed by some as lightweight, I think the band follow in a great tradition of Art Rock; from Roxy Music to Duran Duran, there is always a place for great hip-swaying music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the hype, just listen to the music, 27 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
The hype surrounding Franz Ferdinand has clearly made a few people want to hate this album before listening to it. To me these are people who are desperate to show off their 'cool' credentials by disliking anything that's vaguely popular - a stance that is just as sad as liking things just because they're fashionable.
I don't read the NME or listen to XFM but I saw FF on Jools Holland a few months back and knew then that I had to get this album as soon as it came out. Sad to say, I thought it was just me who liked them!
As others have pointed out, each song on the album sounds a bit like someone else, but exactly the same can be said for most bands since about 1982. What FF do have is the ability to combine fantastic riffs with catchy but original tunes, while still writing intelligent lyrics and having an edge of darkness. It really does hark back to the late '70s/early '80s which, for me, was a golden era of pop - a time when artists such as Bowie, Blondie, The Specials, Talking Heads etc. etc. could receive both commercial and critical acclaim.
This album doesn't contain a duff track, so I won't bother listing which ones I like better than others. All I will say is that it managed to exceed my expectations, which were very high after hearing the two singles. In fact it's easily the best album I've heard from the last 10 years.
During the techno era, guitar-based music was in such a dire state that I went through the entire 1990s without buying a contemporary album. Thankfully bands such as The White Stripes, The Strokes and now Franz Ferdinand are now turning that round - hopefully another golden age of guitar-based pop/rock is upon us!

4.0 out of 5 stars Take me out, I want to eat lachfisch, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
'Take Me Out' is the real stand out track, to me it moved everything so far forward in terms of structure and energy that Franz Ferdinand themselves couldn't keep up. Sure 'Dark of the Matinee' and 'Darts of Pleasure' (and even 'Michael') are great songs, but they don't have that extra something so evident in 'Take Me Out'.
Unfortunately the other tracks as recorded here are not particularly good and don't stand repeated listening, which is disappointing because I've seen them on TV playing live at a concert and these poorer songs had an extra level of energy not heard on the album versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars My album of the year!!, 2 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
One of the best debut albums I've ever heard! A truely thumping melody runs throughout an album which is so enjoyable that it's over before you know it! One of the best musical talents to break through in recent years, this CD is essential to any collection of British contemporary music-Fantastic!! I really can't say enough good things about this band!

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD - 2004)