on 22 May 2013
Having been a life long Deep Purple fan & anxiously awaiting the release of "Now What?!" given the hype that preceded it (you'll have to read my review of that particular album to see what I think) I had this on the back burner in my "Wish List". I really couldn't make my mind up if it was worth parting with my hard earned cash as this was the short lived MKIII version whose 1st album "Burn" promised so much only to be followed by the disastrous "Stormbringer" which prompted the exit of a certain Mr Blackmore. On further investigation it turns out that this was Ritchie's swansong appearance with the band making it a must buy for any true Purple fan. So is it any good? The answer is yes & no ... it is a major improvement on "Made In Europe" but it seems a bit messy & amateurish in parts especially from the DC & GH. Mr Hughes as is well documented had a penchant for the white powder, which doesn't seem to affect his bass playing, sees him trying to take centre stage at every opportunity (it's an embarrassment when he does) & Dorothy shows his lack of "star" quality with his inane introductions & attempts to whip the audience into a frenzy (or was that Glen Hughes butting in again). So what you have here is a little piece of history, some sublime musicianship from Blackmore/Lord/Paice, & the hopeless "Stormbringer" album given the breath of life. I chose to take the download option as I am not a huge fan of live albums & am pleased I did. This is not "Made In Japan" by any stretch of the imagination but certainly a priceless addition for any Deep Purple fans that grew up with the band as I did ... at least it sounds like Deep Purple ;-)
on 19 September 2007
La Derniere Séance - Paris 07.04.75

As a teenager in the 70's, my favourites were Yes, Led Zeppelin and Tangerine Dream. I only had the ubiquitous 'Made In Japan' on a cassette from a mate (replaced by the first CD pressing and subsequently the latest remastered double CD) and I never felt any inclination to buy (or even get illegal tapes) of any more, although I did eventually buy 'Made In Europe' in a sale. 'Made In Japan', supposedly best live album of the time was pretty good in the excitement stakes but always lost out in my mind to the subtlety and variations of Yessongs. So, 30+ years later, I have some disposable income and having enjoyed the MIJ remaster I came across the Paris 75 double CD, and remembering the excitement of 'Burn' from my long lost Made In Europe cassette, I thought I'd take a chance.

Burn : Fantastic show opener, possibly one of the best rock songs ever but perhaps doesn't get fair credit because it's Coverdale and not Gillan (discuss). I play this one over and over when I'm cooking ;-)

Stormbringer : Not a bad rocker either with Jon Lord adding some excellent Hammond organ.

"Let's see everyone gettin' down a bit mo' " is not the sort of thing you'd expect to hear between Purple songs and it doesn't seem right. I assume it's Coverdale, but I'm not certain. Whoever, I wish the people responsible for the tape transcription had cut it out as it's bloody annoying.

The Gypsy : Not a song I was previously familiar with, but decent, if not outstanding in any way.

Lady Double Dealer is another fast, punchy rocker which is quite exciting but with no real musical highlights. Could do without the stupid screaming and 'are we getting' down ?' shouts at the end though. If only this had been edited out as it adds nothing to the experience.

Mistreated is a great slow blues with heavy undertones - pretty good guitar and the singing is gutsy. Give Coverdale his due here, he is very good on this one.

An excellent excerpt from Lazy leads us in to Smoke On The Water which is generally pretty good, although Blackmore's solo appears to go a bit off track temporarily. For some reason they finish off with something that could be from a soul show - why did that do that ?

Next, we're in to the hammering You Fool No One. There is something about Paice's drumming here that I find almost hypnotic - a driving rhythm that underpins some good keyboard work from Lord and guitar from Blackmore. Another very good track.

Space Truckin' comes up next, but why does Coverdale have to do mock soul lyrics - especially when Lord is playing a nice organ intro from Holst and 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'?

Going Down is quite good but not spectacular. Lord's organ probably saves this as his improvisation (if it was) keeps the interest before we surge in to Highway Star, which is another rock classic and always gets the pulse running. More good guitar work from Blackmore to finish the show.

Summary : as someone who is not specifically a Purple fan, this has enough good stuff on it to be worth buying in my opinion and it will get plenty of spins. Lord's all round knowledge of music and his ability as a musician shine on this, Blackmore is one of the great rock guitarists and Paice perhaps never had the recognition his skills deserve. Enjoy !
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2014
Been a Purple fan for many years, mark 2 is my favourite line up but mark 3 were great also, there are some superb tracks and great recording quality, the missing star is purely because of Glenn Hughes, when he behaves himself and plays bass and just does normal backing vocals things are fine, but when he tries to take over he sounds like a chihauhau with it's tail stuck under a rocking chair!, it's awful, combined with his frankly embarrassing comments to the audience which include him chastising them for getting fat if they didn't dance more, not to mention that they're French and probably don't understand him's a Purple gig Glenn not a school disco, get a grip, can't believe Blackmore et al let him get away with it, and probably why Ritchie left after this tour!
on 16 January 2007
I have always been a big fan of this DP line up, largely becuase they were able to generate some great 'frisky' rock songs and Coverdale had a wonderful soulful voice. If you are tossing up weather to buy this CD or "on the wings of a russian foxbat" ..... buy this!! Foxbat an absoloute load of junk!! This is reportedly the whole of the last concert that featured this line up. There are moments that make the hairs stand up and other moments that make you cringe. The tracks that feature on "Made in Europe" such as Burn, Stormbringer etc have better versions on MIE. However, these are all good renditions. "Gypsy" is a nice addition.

The songs on ths album seem to get longer and longer as it goes along, there is a great version of "You fool no One" So to disc two!! "Space Truckin'" DO NOT expect this to be anything like the classic Made in Japan version, the only similarity is that they are about the same length!! Coverdale seems to be very unhappy about singing this one and in the extened instrumental part, its like they other four musicians are all playing different songs!! Somehow Ian Paice manages to hold it all together. The encores are good but leaving you feeling that somewhere something was missing.....Blackmore is possibly the greatest guitarist of all time, Lord a fabulous keyboard player, Paice the best drummer ever, Coverdale a superb blusey rock voice......So why did Glen Hughes think he was in Earth Wind and Fire or Hot Chocolate?? I mean who asks a mid-70's rock concert audience to "Get Down" and "Shake thier Asses?" Great bassist - just in the wrong band!!

All in all a good album, but only if you already own Made in Europe and Made in Japan.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2004
What a superb album, one of the best live CDs that I've heard. It's what Made in Europe should have been, instead of the looped audience response and what I thought was a muted recording. This on the other hand is at full volume and boy is it good.
It's not just good, it's simply awesome. Coverdale, Hughes, Lord and Paice are brilliant and on top of all that, there's Blackmores guitar playing. For me, he's the best guitarist by a mile. If you don't buy another DP MkIII CD, buy this one, you won't regret it!
on 9 February 2015
Wow. I accept the (accurate) criticisms that some have made regarding the flannel between tracks and some of the vocals but if you are happy with a live album and the imperfections it brings, this is fantastic Purple. You fool no-one played half a dozen times before getting on with the rest of the album. It has to be in your collection.
on 22 June 2015
For me a humdinger of an album, hard to believe Blackmores last gig with the Mark 3 line up, hard hitting all the way with a wild version of Highway star to end, manic in fact, there is a rumour this gig was filmed. well worth buying and playing loud is a must
on 16 December 2014
A great mix of the great man's last gig with Mark 3 Purple. Even with Glenn Hughes persistent whooping and nonsense. Can't wait for the 5th release in the series. Still a shame about the packaging.
on 21 February 2011
Having got the Last Mk III Concerts CD we were unsure whether to get this or not. Having decided to get it we were not disappointed as the sound quality was so much better, plus it is the complete concert. It's a pity that the record companies won't part exchange older versions for new when they re-release music that has been been sonically enhanced, though, as it does end up costing more if you want the enhanced editions :) If you are a Purple fan then this is worth getting.
on 30 April 2013
After Made in Japan, Made in Europe was a massive let down. I don't know where the tapes for this were at the time or whether these concerts post dated MiE but this is how Purple of that era should have sounded and should have formed the basis for that album. These are much better performances. Glenn Hughes talking between tracks is very irritating and mostly inane babble. His attempts to sound like Stevie Wonder were always bizarre in a classic hard rock outfit and I could never understand why RB put up with it, he wasn't known for his tolerance of thing he didn't like. I've always found his periodic yelping like a dog that's had it's tail stood on confusing and concluded back in 1974 that he was in the wrong band performing a style of music that was not really his 'thing'. Let's put it this way, whilst you might proudly put this on the CD player and let your son listen to what you liked so long ago, you might well cringe with embarrassment as Glenn Hughes comes to the fore. Anyway, the long and short of it is that if you like this era of Deep Purple this is a really good album.