Format: Audio CDChange

on 17 February 2004
Okay so it isnt the START of something considering it is their second album but it is according to the band themselves who say that this is their first album proper. anyway this album is absoloutely fantastic from start to finish! AS heavy metal fan myself whose favourite bands include Machine Head and Metallica, I was a little apprehensive at buying this in the first place as I thought it would be a little too 'pop-like' for me. But I was wrong. The album starts with We Still Kill the Old Way which is one of the best songs on the album with a killer chorus and some inventive ideas to boot. Then we get To Hell We Ride which is followed up by the brilliant Last Train Home. My favourite songs on the album are We Still Kill the Old Way, Start Something (which has a riff that reminds me of Muse' Stockhom Syndrome by the way but that dosent matter!), Last Summer and We are Godzilla you are Japan. But every song on the album is a cracker, and the fact that they have those weird but cool outros on some tracks is also very inventive. Bascially this album rocks, its also mellow, has some great riffs and though yes it is different from their first album its still worth every penny of your money. album of the year contender already? I think so.
on 16 January 2005
When Lost Prophets first emerged, they were over rated and over hyped by the media. They were thrown straight in at the deep end by their label, with a debut album that was pretty much just the demo's they got signed with, which were at the bands own admission not particularly good. But the 2 singles released from the 'Fake Sound of Progress' album gave a glimpse of Lost Prophets true potential.
Since their first album, Lost Prophets have gained a lot of experience and had time to refine their sound and figure out who they are as a band. 'Start Something' definately benefits from this and shows the Prophets have come of age and finally fulfilled their potential.
On 'Start Something' keyboard player Jamie Oliver's is a lot more involved. His screaming adds a newfound aggression to songs, but never in a way that compromises the melody or over shadows Ian Watkins singing. The singing and screaming combination bounce off each other to brilliant effect (to best affect in 'To Hell We Ride'), this twin vocal attack gives Lost Prophets a much welcomed extra dimension. Also the heavy use of multi layered guitars make the riffs soar, while the subtle use strings/orchestra (in songs such as 'Make A Move') add a dramatic and epic feel to the album.
They already released 5 singles from this album (and could easily release a couple more if they wanted to), which is testament to how strong the material is. The singles released also give a good example of the diversity and quality of the tracks on 'Start Something'.
Lost Prophets have figured out what they do best; fast, adrenalin pumping, rock music that has a killer hook and chorus to sing along to. And this is exactly what they do throughout this album.

'Start Something' is a million miles better than 'Fake Sound' in every way. The good elements from the first album have been perfected, while all the weaknesses have been vastly improved or removed. If you liked any earlier Prophets material then you will love this. Even if you hated the Lost Prophets before now, this album could change you mind about them.
'Start Something' is undoubtedly a contender for the best album of 2004.
on 19 January 2004
Many people rip this band off for being too commercial or mainstream but the fact is this is what this band strive not to be. There about the music which makes them worth a listen.
I've basically grown-up with lostprophets seeing them in everything from small barflys to academy 1's and they never cease to amaze me.
The addictive melodies and riffs are far more worked and fabricated in this the second album from the Welsh sextet, they songs are far more worked and more organised tha the debut but still have the same rebelliousness and attraction we all felt when listenin to F.S.O.P.
I heard these songs when they were first aired in Manchester and was awestruck, this is band not to be missed and should come with a safety warning for addictiveness!
Its time to start something, get addicted
on 8 February 2004
After their first album, The Fake Sound Of Progress, I wasn't particulary expected a great deal from this one. But I was amazed at the progress they had made from their last album. I'll run through my personal opinions on my favourite tracks on the album:
1. We Still Kill The Old Way - Great song with fantastic guitar sequence at the start, reminisant slightly of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I'd make no other links between them. The song has a good tune, great beat and a catchy chorus. 9/10
2. To Hell We Ride - If you have Need For Speed Underground on the Ps2 you will recognize this, as along with Burn Burn it is one of the songs on the deal they have with Ea Sports. Onto the song, it has a fast tune and tempo, a heavy metal chorus and a catchy bridge. 9/10
3. Last Train Home - The second single along with Burn Burn to be released from this and it has recently got to number 8 in the charts (too low if you ask me!) But this song will have you singing it all day and force you to listen. After a nice calm start the usual guitar sequnce, and some philosophical lyrics, this song really catches on and the chorus is superb. 10/10
10. A Million Miles - A slightly less heavy song this one, but good none the less. Good verses and another catchy chorus with very good lyrics and a great tune to it. 9/10
There are plenty of songs that I havn't mentioned, but personally I wouldn't skip a single track on the album. And if you didn't know, this cd come with extra material for your pc, including the video to Burn Burn and studio footage.
I rate this album very highly and recommend it seriously to rock fans
on 2 February 2004
I have anticipated the release of this album for a number of weeks now, so when it final came to the day of release, my first priority was to get my copy. It made the rest of my day. I had been enjoying the previous album "The Fake Sound Of Progress", but a number of the tracks on this offering are average at best. However, it did have enough good tracks to keep your appitite wet for the new album. "Start Something" is on a totally different level. There is not a bad song on the album, and "Hello Again" is possibly the best song I have heard in my memory. Tracks like "Burn Burn", "Last Train Home" and "A Million Miles" just make you want to sing along. This album is brilliant, and there is no other word for it. The only shame with this album is that the B-side to the "Last Train Home" single, a cover of Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" is not on the album, as it is without doubt the greatest cover of any song ever made, and deserves to be heard by all listeners.
on 5 April 2015
I was a little late to the 2004 scene (Lostprophets, Incubus, Hoobastank etc.) but fell in love with this band the moment I heard them. Their unique, boisterous style gets you invigorated and ready to face anything. The thing I admire the most about this record is that the ending to each song is the beginning of the next. This makes the album feel like one piece of music as opposed to a collection of songs; this really highlights the band's talents. For the punk/post-hardcore genre, this is most definetly a classic and should be heard by everyone who loved the 1997-2005 era of music/culture.
P.S. Let us celebrate the good times and not dwell in the bad
on 25 January 2004
This album is brilliant, there are no better words to describe it. It is a different sound to thier previous album and is far more superior. The songs vary, each with a different sound but still have the power to bring a smile to your face or make you reminice over old times past. It is music to suit any mood and any fan of real music. I cant emphasise the greatness of this album and am happy to have got a sneak demo of it.
Listen and you will not be dissapointed! The Lostprophets are indeed one of the best bands around and have a long musical carear ahead of them.
on 19 May 2004
Recorded in just 1 week, pontypridd's 'The Lostprophets' debut album 'The Fake Sound of Progress' announced the arrival of a precocious new talent. Four years on and after an almost non-stop tour from the release of that particular landmark the 'prophets come back with the sophomore effort 'Start Something'.
A slicker, more melodic and crucially more globallyfocused release, 'Start Something' shows a startling maturity. Yet the 6 piece are clearly struggling to let go of their collective infatuation with Faith no More, thats no bad thing but will always draw comparison. Ian Watkins' vocals are more Mike Patton than ever whilst the remaining band members add a wall of sound that deviates between bludgeoning riffery and subtle harmonies.
'We still kill the old way', single 'Burn Burn' and the standout 'last train home' ably demonstrate how far these welsh boys have come since the fierce days of 'DragÃ'n Ninja...'
Producer Eric Valentine (Good Charlotte/Q.O.T.S.A) harnesses their obviously idealistic approach to recording ensuring that 'Start Something' is always epic and crucially fun.
If your going to concentrate on the T-shirts and hairstyles then your somewhat missing the point. Right now the Lostprophets desreve all the hype and adulation they get.
on 5 February 2004
This is brilliant all the way through....the prophets have really tightened up their sound since FSOP. This is an albulm for hardcore prophet fans and new ones alike. Prophets have really shown their range with songs like the melodic Tonight to the rapid fury of We are Godzilla you are Japan. Ians really improved his vocals to boost the prophets from britishwide to worldwide. The songs are a lot more structured and this helps the albulm flow better than FSOP. The lyrics are very deep and this is demonstrated in songs like Hello again and Last Summer combined with rocking good time tracks such as burn burn. Prophets are set to be huge and good on them.....thanks to bands like Muse and the Prophets..........Britain officially is ROCKING THE WORLD again....as it should do. Great job lads!!!
on 8 October 2005
I bought this album, like many others probably, in the hope of more songs like Last Train Home, Goodbye Tonight and Last Summer, all of which were released as singles. If this is what you want from the album, please don't go for it. I'm not trying to put you off, it's just that I truly don't feel that the released singles represent the band and the album in their true light. Basically, the album is much heavier than the released tracks. I was lucky in that I like heavy stuff as well as the more lighthearted songs, but it won't be for everyone. However, if you would like something a bit different, and don't mind a bit of a twist in what you expect, then prepare to be pleasantly surprised. It is a great album by a great band and I thouroughly recommend it! The guitars are amazingly written parts, and the vocals will get you humming all day. Buy this album, but if you're not prepared for a bit of heavy distortion then unfortunately this album just ain't for you.