Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 May 2005
I find it hard to believe that anyone with even a passing interest in DIV could be surprised by the eclectic selections on this album let alone disappointed. The whole idea of Death in Vegas is to be something a bit different from the norm. Definitely for chilled out, after hours listening the standout song has to be Songs: Ohia's "Soul" but there isn't a dud in the pack. Highly reccommended.
on 3 March 2004
As a fan of Death in Vegas, and also of the "Back to Mine" series that I ve heard, I had rather high hopes for this. An unexpected pleasure when I discovered its release, I fully expected an eclectic and often unusual track mix these type of compilations throw up.
However, the quality here is below par and often of a similar style. Subtitled " a personal collection for after hours grooving" this collection will soon have you slumbering away rather than sound tracking any soiree. A country/folk ambience ultimatley pervades that just needs more variation in style and tempo to really hold your attention for long.
on 21 April 2004
Expecting a Death in Vegas compilation to sound exactly like their ownoutput isn't really doing the band justice. It's clear they know theirmusic and this compilation manages to avoid the pitfalls so many cliched'chill out albums' often meander into. The tracks here are emotive,rocking and in places - Songs:Ohia's 'Soul' in particular - so beautifulit hurts.
And you get some funky banjo action, a dose of dub and JoyDivision to boot. What more could you ask for?
on 19 November 2008
I was just listening to this and whilst checking what one of the tracks was called (lazy I know) I saw the mixed response in the reviews and had to add to the feedback.

This is a great record, one which saw me buy records by several of the acts featured and which I still play on nights. The mix is not nearly as one dimensional as others would have you believe, it does however understand not to reach too far. The blend of soul, country, bluegrass and dub makes perfect sense, becoming much darker in its tone through its placement within the mix.

I'd rather not be seen to be too in awe of a mixtape but this is a fine, fine example of just that. When people ponder the death of the cassette tape, often it is just this kind of loving attention to making compilations that is discussed with misty eyes. This stands up alongside mixes by David Holmes, Cherrystones and Andy Votel as one of the best things I discovered in the past decade. If they had made it for me, I'd definately think about going out with them!
on 8 February 2016