5.0 out of 5 stars Warning, time quake approaching, paradox, magnitude 7...
Published on 14 Sep 2010 by rossuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Really but slightly dated
This film holds up considering it's fairly dated. Really good plot though and I did enjoy it I would still recommend it.
Published 9 months ago by Deelighted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning, time quake approaching, paradox, magnitude 7..., 14 Sep 2010
rossuk (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
This film could be described as a romantic relationship between Kris Kristofferson and the beautiful Cheryl Ladd, but that would be boring. But when she is a time traveller from 1,000 years ahead of us, then that gives this film the edge. She and her time travel partners keep on losing their 'stunners' and have to come back to retrieve them, to avoid a time paradox, and the subsequent time quake. They want to capture humans to preserve the species as they are dying, to avoid a time paradox they capture humans who are about to die in a plane crash. The film features two plane crashes, one in 1963 and one in 1989 and in this one Kris is the plane crash investigator.

The film is a bit dated as in 1989 they are worried about acid rain, now we worry about global warming. Cheryl chain smokes in order to keep up her hydrocarbons, and in the 1963 air crash you can see the stewardess serving cigarettes. The robot has the best lines as far as humour is concerned. There is one extended scene on the romance between Kris and Cheryl, that is repeated, this only works because one is before we know she is a time traveller and the second after we know that she is a time traveller. The inevitable happens and a time paradox occurs leading to... The SFX are OK for 1989. All in all a good film which has been scripted very well. I was able to watch the DVD twice when I got it, I first saw the film on TV 15 years ago. It is underrated by the Sci Fi guys IMHO.

4.0 out of 5 stars Film version of a story by John Varley, 26 Sep 2006
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
John Varley's time travel story "Millennium" which came out both as this film and as a full length novel with the same title in the 1980's is one of his best pieces of writing.

Varley's initial concept was first published as the short story "Air Raid" and he was commissioned to write the screenplay for this film version: at about the same time he published an extended version of the short story, lining up with the film but including some rather broader themes and more detail in several areas, as the novel "Millennium."

If you have read the novel and are wondering whether the DVD measures up, it was not practical for the film makers to get the full scope of the novel into this film adaptation, but they did a pretty good job. Most of the political comments about air safety in the book, particularly those about the battle between Ronald Reagan and the air traffic controllers did not make it into this film, and neither did the quasi-religious aspects of the book. But most of the guts of the story did.

In particular, the film is faithful to the plot and tone of the novel, including both the central romance and some of the most gripping action scenes. Both the book and the film capture brilliantly some of the most memorable scenes in the story, and incorporate one or two quite funny moments, none of which I can begin to describe without spoiling the plot.

Kris Kristofferson is excellent as an air crash investigator, who discovers some unusual anomalies in the wreck of an aircraft. Cheryl Ladd is equally brilliant as the mysterious woman who sleeps with him and then disappears. As the story continues we learn more about the investigator's past, and why the mysterious woman reminds him so much of someone he remembers from his childhood.

I can recommend both the book and the film. If you might want to experience both I don't think it makes any difference in what order you do it. If you want to read the original short story "Air Raid" it is included in the collection "The Persistence of Vision" which I understand was also published as "In the Halls of the Martian Kings."

DVD extras are a little basic: short filmographies on Kristofferson, Ladd, and one or two other people, a short synopsis of what the producer was trying to do, and an alternative ending, which differs only in the backdrop to the Winston Churchill quote which provides the very last words of the film.

Varley made a joke about this book (and film) in one of his much more recent novels, "Mammoth" which I can also highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Time Travel film., 30 May 2014
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
The time lines of the two leading characters cleverly intertwine. I had to view this more than once to work it out, but that might just be me! The sets are magnificent; the work that went into them is incredible. The quote at the end (from Winston Churchill I believe?) has remained with me ever since. The great chemistry between Kristofferson and Ladd tops it off as a great film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really but slightly dated, 2 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A piece of S/F film history, 27 Oct 2013
M. J. Hage "mjh" (Catford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
This film was product of the creators of thunderbirds and the models were superb. Much of the acting was pretty unconvincing and the story could have been more creative(a good idea not exploited) BUT as a piece of S/F film history very entertaining and enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Millenium(DVD), 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
A good entertainment, and as always it seems of the issues in containing any prediction about "the earth-catastrophes" will be the busy engagement of the mind to us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Millennium [DVD], 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
Ever tried to find a film when you could not remember what it was called, or even who was in it?
Well, this was one of those, and it didn't disapoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2007 Version not in English, 1 Dec 2012
I have just purchased the 2007 version of Millenium (DVD) and to my surprise it is in German with no option of changing the Language to English, although the trailers on this version are in English, the film is in German only. If you look closely you can also tell by the cover as some of the wording is also in German.

If you are to order this film then go for the 2004 version (Blue Cover not Black)if you would like an alternative language i.e. an English version.

As for the film itself, I saw this on TV about 20yrs ago and found it had an interesting storyline therefore was delighted to find it on DVD, however I will wait before watching the entire film until I can get an English version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Millennium - A time travel mystery., 4 Aug 2011
I. Guerin (Bedfordshier England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Millennium [DVD] (DVD)
I will try not to include any spoilers in this review.

Millennium is not a film that you can doze through. I originally had it on VHS tape but wanted a better copy. The plot arguably follows the most complex sequence of events of all the time travel films I have seen over the years. You need to pay close attention otherwise you will lose it. This is particularly important as some scenes get repeated later in the film, but from a different perspective and if you are not keeping up it can be confusing.

The standard of acting is first class, although I cannot deny that the plot, (based on "Air raid", a short story by John Varley), does contain a number of holes and improbabilities. However I believe that it is important to watch any science fiction film with a measure of open mindedness. For myself, providing the script is intelligently written, I just immerse myself in the universe created by the film's makers and accept that in some areas that particular universe does not operate in quite the same way as my own. You can't love Science fiction unless you are able to suspend your disbelief. Reading reviews for some other films I wonder whether some reviewers actually go to the cinema with the express intent of trying to find something wrong with the film.

I suppose that one of the main reasons that the film appeals to me is that the basic story line revolves around aircraft crash investigation. As an engineer who has spent all his working life (almost 50years) in the aviation industry I found the background script and plotting of this area to be almost perfect. In fact the opening sequence that precedes the credits still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up no matter how many time I watch it.

If your preferred viewing consists of a diet of hunt-em-down-and-zap-em with lots of violence, gore and explosions, then I guess you will not like this film, but if you enjoyed films such as "A boy and his dog, Hangar 18, Moontrap, 2001 Mission to Mars and even Waterworld and the postman" then I think you might enjoy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sherman, send the gate, 9 July 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We are medially confronted with a midair plane crash. In the confusion, the navigator goes back into the cabin and is horrified by something. All we see is a staring device sliding along the floor "MILLENNIUM".

Bill Smith investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board (Kris Kristofferson) is dispatched to the crash scene. he must make since of things that do not add up to a normal crash. Meanwhile a physicist (Daniel J. Travanti) that seems to know moiré than he is letting on is asking him about the anomalies. In addition, to make things more complicated a female airline employee (Cheryl Ladd) that does not seem to do everything from driving to eating awkwardly is sidetracking him.

Bill wonders if he is tired, paranoid or is there something that is just not normal?

The music and filming remind me of a Hallmark romance movie which just happens to have a sci-fi background.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Millennium [DVD]
Millennium [DVD] by Michael Anderson (DVD - 2004)