4.0 out of 5 stars Good 'every day' workout
Published on 10 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners
This DVD is a nice gentle workout, however, if you are looking for a workout that will break you into a sweat this is not for you.
I have since gave this DVD to a friend who has just started exercising. She thinks it is great and over a few weeks can feel a difference.
Published on 23 Jan 2006 by Em

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 'every day' workout, 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
This is great workout for anyone looking to improve their overall fitness level and is especially good for toning arms, legs and butts. The aerobic sections are fun, varied and not too exhausting but the real benefit of this workout is in the toning sections. After a few weeks of regular use you really will see the difference in your general muscle tone, with a firmer bum, less flabby arms and a firmer, flatter stomach.
Karen Voight’s instruction is clear and encouraging. She explains what you’re doing and why without shouting or any of that ‘come on, you can do it’ motivational stuff that I personally find really irritating after a while. Elle looks great and is full of enthusiasm, although her little comments do get a bit tiresome after a while. You will need a bit of room to do this in, especially some of the aerobic sections, and I recommend you use hand weights (I find 3lbs is about right) after the first few times as they really help to tone up your arms fast.
Although this isn’t a hard working, high impact workout (try Nell McAndrew’s Maximum Impact if you’re looking for something more challenging), overall it is a good ‘every day’ workout (I use it alternative days with Kate’s Cardio Combat) that will give you better body definition and is fun to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best workout DVD around!, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this on VHS about four years ago and it still the best workout DVD I've ever used! I've been through them all - Cindy Crawford, Aerobics Oz Style, Tae Bo, pilates, yoga, salsa... the list is endless, but Elle is the one I go back to every time.

I'm in pretty good shape,but this is challenging enough to get my heart rate right up - overall at about 75% of maximum, (which is an ideal aerobic rate, especially is you're looking to shift that extra weight!) but the final cardio section takes me up to 95%. If however you're not used to working out you can easily hold back on the cardio sessions and work at your own level - just make your movements smaller and you'll find it perfectly easy. The third (last) cardio session is the hardest - they throw a few jumps in here, but if you cut out the jumps and keep it low-impact you'll be fine.

The conditioning exercises are effective and the instruction is very clear, which avoids risk of injury. You need some small weights for the conditioning sessions, and you can get a pair of those for about £5 in Argos/Amazon.

This is the only DVD apart from Billy Blanks' Tae Bo that works me hard enough to make it a substitute for going to the gym. The Tae Bo DVDs are HARDCORE and I just can't face them most of the time, so I needed something a notch below that!

I can't recommend this enough. WHATEVER your fitness level, you will get a good workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all-round workout that really works!!!!!, 1 Aug 2004
A BIG FAN OF THE BODY WORKOUT (Sunderland, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
This workout dvd is the best I have tried. It combines 3 aerobic sections with 3 strengthening and toning sections. Each section is alternated so that you don't get bored (or too tired), and they are all fun to do - not at all repetitive. It targets all areas of your body and spends just enough time on each one.
The sections are as follows:
1)Warm Up
2)Aerobics 1
3)Legs and Butt
4)Aerobics 2
5)Upper Body
6)Aerobics 3
7)Abs and Back
8)Cool Down
I always feel that I get a good workout, and I am quite fit, but I really think that it is suitable for people of all levels of fitness. It is really easy to follow and the best thing about this workout that it only takes 60 minutes to do from beginning to end which means that you can easily fit it into your daily routine (no excuses!).
I lost over a stone in 3 months by doing this workout 3-4 times a week (and eating healthily). I am now a size 10 and I am the most toned I have ever been (I actually have muscle definition!).
I really would not hesitate to recommend this workout to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it...and I hate working out, 29 Aug 2004
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
I hate workout videos. Actually, I hate working out. And dieting. And tall, slim, muscular fitness Nazis in Lycra, barking at me through the tv screen.
But...I also hate not fitting into my clothes, getting breathless walking to the car and the fact that my naked arse looks like a bath sponge. So, in a moment of madness, I bought this dvd. Given my usual level of persistence and determination, I fully expected that I would use it once or twice, then go back to doing something more instantly gratifying. Like eating some doughnuts and having a cigarette.
However...I now find myself writing a positive review for this dvd. It is five weeks since I bought it, and in that time I have managed to stick with it, using it to start my day, at least four days a week.
The programme alternates short sessions of aerobics with body-toning sessions, using light weights. It's simple enough for a beginner, but does give you a serious workout. In just 5 weeks, my clothes fit better and my body is fitter and more toned - I can even take my jeans off without undoing them!
The commentary from the instructor is kept simple and factual...not too much of that patronising "you can do it!" stuff that tends to pall after a few viewings. Elle is cute and has a great body, although I have to snort with laughter at one or two of her interjections (e.g. during one of the bum-toning sessions, she mentions that this is "what I need to do most!" Yeah, sure, Elle-baby...and I'm a super-model!) The stretching/unwinding session at the end of the programme incorporates some yoga moves, and really makes you feel good after the exertion.
I recommend this dvd for anyone who is NOT a fitness fanatic, but is maybe looking to shed a few inches and feel better about their body. It's a beginner-friendly, do-able work-out video, that doesn't get boring after a couple of viewings. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners, 23 Jan 2006
Em "Emma_1" (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
Thus, if want want a gentle toning exercise DVD and yoy are a beginner standard to exercise, this will be perfect for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly fab, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
If you have any doubts, let me allay them for you here - this is a great workout, as the other reviews state, and it's actually a routine I look forward to doing! You will need arm / hand weights (little dumb-bells) and access to a chair. I probably need a bit more room to do the "swim skate" bit in the third aerobic section, but otherwise I use it in a pretty cramped space.
I noticed the results in the arm exercises within a week. I never realised my arms could be that shape. The cardio section probably needs supplementing with some other (more sustained) cardio work of your own devising, like running or dancing, to make a complete workout.
There are a few editing blips in the DVD, but they don't really matter, and Elle is likeable, which is important if you're going to spend hours staring at her. She does come out with some particularly cheesy comments though, and looks off camera for her cue to say them. And at one point does she dare to answer back the instructor by saying "I know" when told to lift her arms higher?! Maybe I've been using the DVD too much... but it's so darn good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great workout, 22 July 2005
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of my favorite exercise dvds. I love that there's ten minutes of aerobics, then ten minutes of toning. It covers your entire body (arms, legs, abs, etc.) and the aerobic work-outs get progressively more difficult over the hour-long video. I also found the stretches at the end helped keep me from getting stiff the next day. I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for jump-starting the day, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
Elle Macpherson's The Body Workout arrived on May 12th, and I've been using it most every day since then, bright and early in the morning, to get me going.
As other reviewers have already pointed out, the exercises are not sustained long enough to really break a sweat, but they will get your heart rate up, at least if you aren't super fit, which I am not!

The workout lasts 45 minutes. It's divided into chapters, so it's easy to jump from one section to another if you don't have 45 minutes but still want to work out a little.
The total minutes of aerobic workout (including the warm-up, that is dynamic, not stretches), is 20 minutes, enough to get your blood circulating and your heart rate up on days when you have less time.

The upper body toning section is pretty good. My husband already commented on my arms, and I've been using the dvd for less than a month, with 3 lb weights!

I agree that the abdominal and lower body sections are very short. No lunges, no jack knives, and very few repetitions, but if you do the aerobic section purposefully, you are getting a good leg workout right there. I like the bum squeezes at the end! If you focus on them and do them right, you will feel the burn. It would be helpful to have a view from a different angle to see how Karen positions her feet and knees for each variation. It took me a few days to figure out the different positions just listening to the instructions.

There are some exercises in it that are either not very effective, or I'm not doing them well. For example, those leg kicks in the first toning section, and standing up with a pause. I can't feel anything and I wonder whether I'm even doing them properly. I've been skipping the section the last few days and adding some other exercises when I'm done, before stretching.

Cool down and stretching is very short. I add some stretches of my own, from pilates.

The workout could be longer. Each cardio section could be a few minutes longer, and the toning exercises could be revised to weed out ineffective moves that only waste your time, same as some comments Elle makes. I find it irritating that the warm-up begins with Elle's long introduction to the exercise routine and I either pop the dvd in while I tidy up the living-room, or I fast forward it.

This is a dvd that I will keep and use when I want to jump start my morning. I like the cardiovascular circuit concept because I get bored if I'm doing the same thing for too long. I like to take a break from jumping and dancing about, but I could jump and dance about for a couple more minutes each time!
I like Karen Voight's style, although I get lost with her counting sometimes! I get the feeling I am doing more reps on one side than on the other. I'll have to do my own counting.

I'd recommend this dvd to people who have limited time to exercise and want to get back on the fitness bandwagon. It includes a little bit of everything, it's not boring, time flies by, and it's not too strenuous, so you're more likely to stick with it.

I hope this review is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice, 3 Feb 2004
Miss J C Hall (Witham, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not normally one for exercise, i never have been, but this year i made a resolution to get fit.
Not being into sport much, and not being keen on the gym i decided to go for something i could do at home. The workout is really good, i felt like i was really working, the moves were easy to follow and not too fast, and it made me feel really good about myself afterwards. The workout changes from aerobic exercise to toning and strengthening a few times, so it doesnt get boring, and gives you a chance to catch your breath! The aerobic sections are fun, and make you work up a sweat without getting completely exhausted!
I certainly feel more healthy, and although i have only been doing it for a couple of weeks so far i can see a difference. I would definately recommend this dvd/video to everyone. It makes getting fit fun, i love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I've Done (So Far....), 12 Jan 2006
This review is from: Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] (DVD)
I hate having to work out, but every time I start to think it's time to re-join the gym, I dig out my very aged VHS copy of The Body.
You're worked good and hard during the aerobic sessions, but have enough time in the toning session to catch your breath before starting the next aerobic session. And the warm-down is great - you get to stretch out really well.
To prove how good it is, I'm now on my DVD copy, having actually worn out my VHS copy!!!
Despite all the workouts that have come out since this originally came out on video in the early 90s, I will still recommend this to anyone - just remember to pull the curtains before you start!

Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD]
Elle Macpherson: The Body [DVD] by Elle Macpherson (DVD - 2003)