on 16 February 2004
Given how long ago this concert was (20 years ago this year), the transfer to DVD is remarkable. the visual quality is good, but I was very impressed by the quality of sound reporduction - it says Hi-Fi stereo on the cover - and that's what you get.
The live set is made up of most of Stationary Traveller including the full length version of opening track Pressure Points. The Stationary Traveller tracks - unfortunately have some (now) very dated theatrical visuals, directed by Mike Mansfield, that do not lend anything to the music at all, apart from novelty value. In addition to Stationary Traveller - there is a selection of tracks from Camels other albums - tracks that stand out are Saquatch and, of course, Lady Fantasy - watching the emotions on Andy Latimers face as he weaves his magic on guitar is worth the price of the DVD alone. Camel on this recording are Andy Latimer, Colin Bass, Ton Scherpenzeel, Paul Burgess, Chris Rainbow and Ritchie Close - guest appearances are from Mel Collins and the late, great Peter Bardens. The Pressure Points CD is culled from the same concert but features a different selection of tracks.
on 22 January 2005
Absolutely amazing. I remember the first time it was broadcast on Channel 4. Wonderfl, wonderful - such amazing musicians and genuinely being moved palying their music. So many highlights - but of course the unique sound of the Andy Latimer Les Paul guitar in the live setting is what aboslutely carries it most. Astounding. 20 years on I still watch, listen and drop my jaw.
on 1 November 2005
I first bought this as a VHS tape and am greatly surprised to see how well it has been transferred to DVD. If anything, it's better in all respects. The songs from 'Stationary Traveller' are well represented by intermixing performance footage with film-imagery based on the lyrics.
There are now four Camel DVD's and all are first class, so don't be put off because this is an old release. It's as powerful and fresh as it ever was.
on 28 March 2014
I was looking forward to receiving DVD as I love the Pressure Points album.Unfortunately, several tracks from the record are missing, and by chance they are the three tracks tracks I liked the most on the album,Drafted,Captured and Lies. Sod's Law the two tracks I like least, Fingertips and Wait, are! Not that they are bad songs I just believe they don't really work live. Not sure why tracks are missing as you would presume they were part of the same concert!Omissions made even worse by at least 5 minutes of the 80 minute running time taken up with some terrible 80s video intro and outro.
As 1984 was at the height of the Cold War we also get some dreadfully acted films with the Stationary Traveller tracks showing what I presume are repressed East Germans.
That said, Mr Latimer is a fantastic guitar player and listening to him is always a joy.
Just annoyed by the omissions and the terrible video. Grrrr....
on 2 February 2006
Great musicianship and good sound quality.
More tunes than the CD-version, but also some "non-stationary
traveller" good such have been left out.
Unfortunately tha picture is lousy. Dark and probably from
a VHS-copy.
on 26 April 2014
I'm afraid I have to agree with Nigel54321. I purchased this a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how awful the transfer is. I, too have the video and it's considerably better image quality than the DVD. If this is ever released in a remastered format I'll be the first in the queue to purchase it, but in its current form its appaling. Stick to the CD. There may be less tracks than on the DVD but they're a vast improvement over this dreadful release.
on 18 March 2015
Awful picture quality
on 7 April 2014
This DVD arrived promptly . However when I played it the video quality is appalling , my VHS copy is far superior. I get the feeling it is copied from a VHS on Sub Standard equipment . Returned it to Amazon and was reimbursed my money with no hassle.
on 15 April 2015