5.0 out of 5 stars The most nihilistic western ever made
This is one of the finest spaghetti westerns, although it's not as well known as Sergio Leone's work or Corbucci's other classic Django. The reason is perhaps that morally it's too complex for mass appeal as we viewers, especially in westerns, prefer to know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are, then cheer as the bad guys go down in a hail of lead.

In...
Published on 26 Nov 2009 by Blackhorse47

2.0 out of 5 stars Left me cold
The Great Silence is often cited as one of the best Italian westerns but personally it left me rather cold (pun unintended). Although it shares the amorality and violence of the films shot in southern Spain this is the only spaghetti western (to the best of my knowledge) set in the mountain states of America though actually filmed in the Veneto region of northern Italy...
Published 16 months ago by Mr. R Robertson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A Word of Warning For Region 1 Viewers, 28 Dec 2010
I saw this film as a rental a bit over a year ago. I immediately picked up the excellent Morricone soundtrack. I had been listening to it a good deal lately, giving me the itch to purchase the film. In the States, this DVD was released by a company called Fantoma and has gone out of print. I decided to try my hand at purchasing it here. The Fantoma disc was supposedly an "all region" disc as this disc is supposed to be (according to this page as of this writing)and it's extras were identical to this disc. There is also a review from a Canadian(a region 1 area)reviewer on here so I thought I was safe in ordering the disc. It looked suspicious when it arrived but I really wanted to believe that it was an all region disc. Sadly, it is not. It is strictly a region 2 disc. While the disc arrived in a very timely manner it would not play in either of our players or our computer. I now am forced to see how the return process will play out for this. Disappointing.

For those that work themselves in a twist over a lack of film review, here it is. This is a solid film for those of us who enjoy the Italian "spaghetti" westerns. Cox claims this to possibly be the greatest of the genre even more so than Leone's films. I would strongly disagree and would not even call it my favorite Corbucci film (that would go to the wildly amusing Companeros). That said, it does have a terrific sense of atmosphere and, as I mentioned, another amazing Morricone soundtrack. I would also agree with another reviewer that if you avoid spoilers you'll enjoy the film even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great film, 6 Mar 2013
a great film but it did take a long time to arrive but it got there in the end, i will recommend the site

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting characters, thats all, 21 Feb 2013
One of these films you keep watching to see what's going to happen next to improve the story, but it never comes right up to the end, very disappointing, having said that good acting

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony's great silence, 1 Jun 2012
A. G. N. Grinsven "Spitfire" (Oss, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The DVD was delivered very fast and in the condition as described. I can recommend this seller. Glad I noticed this great, but underrated western in the Amazon collection. I will surely enjoy this western more than once!

3.0 out of 5 stars Speak up, 15 Sep 2010
P. J. Potter "Phil" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I like going into movies blind, knowing little or nothing about them other than quality, but I have to warn you about the opening shot that nearly toasted my retinas. Just a giant blinding white that takes up the whole screen. Argh, 'That's one bright desert!' But then the camera pulls back and picks up some other details of the film's environment and eventually twigged that I was looking at snow, not sand, once cinema's equivalent of sunspots cleared from my eyes.

This is just one of the few ways that the Great Silence stands out from the crowd despite being pretty much the same. What else is there? There's your typical western widow, but she's black this time!

The make or break point for me was the main character, The Great Silence, a mute who only shoots those who raise their guns against him. Good thing he's good at provocation in spite of his disability. Hurrah, a taciturn good guy for all those who like speaking through actions rather than words. I felt it was a bit of a gimmick that hurt the film as there's not much to help you understand him or get on his side, especially when he's up against a two-faced, smarmy, cool heel in Klaus Kinski who steals all the heat.

Granted I watched this a month ago, and I'm just trying to find reason why I barely remember it when I think of great films I watched recently. Whilst it's on it's full of visuals that deserve to be on the big screen and the Ennio Morricone soundtrack is up to the usual high standard. It's great if you're just looking for something to entertain you for it's running time, but it's not a classic that'll stick in your head for months afterwards.

2.0 out of 5 stars Vastly over-rated spaghetti, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Great Silence [DVD] (DVD)
If you like a film with no story ,terrible acting and woeful direction this is for you.A cult film I don't think. A 'hero' who doesn't speak but is tiny and suffers from a charm bypass does not make for compelling viewing.The film is populated by acting of the oak and conifer type so wooden. The positive reviewers of this need to get out more and take their guide dog with them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Great Silence [DVD] [1968] [US Import]
Great Silence [DVD] [1968] [US Import] by Sergio Corbucci (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: £9.89