5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Solo Album
Published on 22 July 2004 by Joan-Violet

3.0 out of 5 stars Lyrically short - Vocally Wonderful!
Published on 25 April 2004 by Martin A Hogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Solo Album, 22 July 2004
Joan-Violet "Jo" (Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
What can I say, this is a terrific solo album from The Moody Blues frontman Justin Hayward...I have the version with Forever Autumn as a Bonus track....My favourite track is Maybe Its Just Love a lovely acoustic ballad cover written by Mike Silver. Suitcase is a dreamy song with flowing melodies written by Justin portraying a musician on tour home is in his suitcase, I love this. Penumbra Moon is so Justin with words like your hair is shining blue...a cool number, written by Billy Nichols. Crazy Lovers is a quaint melody. It's Not You is beyond the tears a classic no written by Jeff Wayne writer of Forever Autumn...The title track Night Flight was written by Justin and Jeff perfect harmony.... all in all a terrific album with pictures of Justin on the sleeve booklet to drool over what more could we ask for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lyrically short - Vocally Wonderful!, 25 April 2004
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
Hayward only wrote six of the songs on this collection and each one ofthem stands up to every song he's done since. The others don't seem tohave the range of emotional urgency Hayward delivers so well - perhapsit's because it didn't pen them. However, it's still a great vocalrecording and having all his CD's, I couldn't pass this one up and I'mglad I have it. The additional bonus tracks of, "Bedtime Stories" is justadditional filler, but the live rendition of "Forever Autumn" is excellentand hard to find.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dull and un-inspired, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
Let's start by complaining about the fact that the item received straight from amazon looked used and second hand. Because of the low price I decided to keep the item and give it go. Though slightly dissapointed this will not effect in any way my review of the recordings itself.

I own most of the works of the Moody Blues and am also familiar to the magnificent Blue Jays and 'more or less' solo projects of the Moody Blues members. You may see me as a fan of the Moody Blues and the voices of Hayward, Lodge and Thomas.

Something in this production is working against it. I'm listening now (while writing) for the third time, but I keep asking myself why the 'sprankle' and inspiration only seems to be there in the last bonus track 'Forever Autumn' live. I do like the voice of the man, but it sounds dull. Is it in the mix? I don't know the vinyl (original) version, so I can't compare. It's really not vigorous, but rather dull.

'Night Flight' doesn't honour the voice of Justin Hayward, so strange and flat, while the music doesn't convince either. This is, to be honest, a problem for all the songs on this cd that are a bit louder or faster.
'Maybe It's Just Love' is a kind of song that's very slow and romantic and is also the kind of song that saves the cd from getting two stars or less. 'Penumbra Moon', 'Suitcase' and 'Bedtime Stories' are some of the other positives.

In no way I will tell you to avoid this cd, especially when you're a fan, but from my view it is of a poor standard compared to other records in which Justin hayward participated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take Off for Justin, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
A very good album from the lead Moody Blue. A good mix of foot tapping and soulful sounds. Not the greatest but when you just want to sit and listen, this is ideal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
A bit like the Curate's egg, this collection is good in parts, not quite up to Justin Hayward at his best which admittedly iis pretty damn good

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this for "After-hours elevation" of your Mood!, 20 July 2013
Christopher Davey (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
Great singer, (lead singer of the Moody Blues, and he's the one that wrote "Nights in White Satin") interesting mix of songs... and as an added bonus: "Forever Autumn" live! You can't go wrong here...

5.0 out of 5 stars Justin Hayward, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Night Flight (Audio CD)
Justin Hayward is a remarkable singer/songwriter. I am now the proud owner of nearly all of his albums. Plus The Moody Blues' albums.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lyrically short - Vocally Wonderful!, 19 Oct 2003
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nightflight (Audio CD)
Hayward only wrote five of the songs on this collection and each one of them stands up to every song he's done since. The others don't seem to have the range of emotional urgency Hayward delivers so well - perhaps it's because it didn't pen them. However, it's still a great vocal recording and having all his CD's, I couldn't pass this one up and I'm glad I have it.

Night Flight
Night Flight by Justin Hayward (Audio CD - 2004)