5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inexpensive and just keeps going

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality beaters
Published on 28 July 2009 by Evette

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inexpensive and just keeps going, 21 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
I have been using my Kenwood Hand Mixer very regularly for about 3 years now. It was inexpensive, dead easy to use just plug it in and select one two or three - one is equivalent to folding and three is high speed mixing with two falling somewhere in the middle. The Mixer attachements are dishwasher safe, and the handheld unit can be wiped with a cloth if you get it dirty.

An excellent buy - I'm glad I didn't spend any more as I'm very happy with this product and would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hand mixer, 13 Feb. 2010
Shaya (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
This is a perfectly adequate hand held mixer, it is fairly light weight, easy to hold and easy to use. It has 2 whisk beaters that slot easily into the main unit and there is an eject button on the top of the main unit to remove them once you have finished mixing. The beaters can be stored on the mixer using a plastic holder that slips neatly into the main unit, thus having it all together so you don't have to root around in the drawer when you need them, very handy. The cord wraps around the back of the unit and is secured with a clip. This model only has the whisk beaters but there is another model that has dough hooks supplied Kenwood HM320 Hand Mixer (White). It is fairly quiet and mixes very well with its 3 speeds. I have had mine over 3 years and it has served me well, I mainly use mine to mix meringues and whip cream but sometimes I use it to make sponge cakes if I don't feel like getting the food processor out. It is easy to clean, you just wipe over the main unit with a damp cloth.
It would be handy if there was a stand to rest it on while mixing as it makes my arm aches holding it for long periods.
If you need a mixer for occasional use then I think this is quite adequate. It is small and neat and doesn't take up much room in the cupboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordeable and efficient., 17 April 2011
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
I'm impressed with this hand-blender for the following reasons. The interchangeable beaters and dough hooks are very easy to swap over (click into place, push-button release). The electric cord is a good length. It's a comfortable appliance to hold (I tried several others that were quite heavy before plumping for this one). And the motor runs well - no sense of it straining or overheating on the higher settings.

True, it isn't in the polished chrome or brushed steel that is currently en-vogue, and it doesn't come with a recipe book or any fancy packaging, but it's reliable and good value. I use it to whip cream, as I always find that an arm-ache inducing task manually (2 mins on low), and to make quick cake and pancake batters. Not flashy, but very much a 'does what it says on the tin' product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality beaters, 28 July 2009
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
I've had the same experience as Totoro: "I have used this set of handmixer less than 10 times. The motorized part seemed to work well though. However because the beaters are not full metal and have a plastic part holding them together, it fell apart. It's not easy to get the replacements either. I wish they would simply sell the full metal replacements for this. Don't buy this product. Make sure you buy one with a full metal beater."

Identical replacement beaters incl. postage would be nearly the price of buying the hand mixer itself again. I've been told that no "all metal beaters" will work with this model. I informed Kenwood of the poor beaters and they replied that they were sorry for my disappointment end of story! Great customer service there!!

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality beaters, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
Very disappointed. My beaters also broke at the plastic section. The machine was fine but without the beaters it is rendered useless. I had used it only a few times for light duties and was hoping to get replacements but this is clearly not economic. I do not possess a dishwasher so this cannot be the reason. My advise is to buy mixers with all metal beaters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality beaters....., 27 Dec. 2008
Totoro (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Maggie's review, 25 Oct. 2008
Ms. M. J. Miller "Maggie" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
I've had one of these for about 3 years. It hasn't had a lot of use as I have other food mixers and processor so only really use for creaming small cakes and whisking up cream or eggs. The beaters have come apart and to get a new set would cost me (with postage etc) almost the same as a new mixer. I consider this to be poor value. The last Kenwood hand mixer I owned I had for about 20 years, ditto with my Kenwood Chef so it looks like quality is poorer now. I am about to buy a new hand mixer now and won't be getting one of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and value, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this hand mixer 11 months ago and have used it no more than half a dozen times. Today I used it and it started smoking - a lot! I know it was only cheap, but I expected it to last longer after such light usage. Needless to say, I would not recommend this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had two of these in 3 years - both have gone wrong!!, 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
Wouldn't buy one of these again as the motor on my first mixer stopped working and then after buying a second one that has now gone wrong too! This time the metal beaters have got out of line with each other and won't turn round.
I wouldn't say that either had particularly 'heavy use', I would say 'average use'; once or twice a month for fairy cakes or a Victoria sandwich etc. I use stork margarine which is fairly soft so again not as if I've abused it!
Such a shame because until they packed up they suited me perfectly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dis-appointingly weak, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer (Kitchen & Home)
This mixer was purchased to replace a 20year old Moulinex, but have had only 1 day and am very dis-satisfied :-

1. At only 120W it is very weak and struggled to cope with a pancake mix, at one point almost stopping completely. Explains why it is not supplied with dough hooks - it would not be able to cope.
2. Has an unfortunate tendency for the mixture to be drawn up the beaters and into the base of the mixer - which is difficult to clean.

If it weren't for having to pay the postage back from Spain it would be retruned immediately, but at this price it isn't worth bothering with. Strongly recommend you don't look at anything under 200W, preferably 300W so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Have replaced this with the Russell Hobbs 18960 Desire Hand Mixer (B0085KC1OU), which appears to give much more power at a similar price point - will post a review after it arrives.

Kenwood HM220 3-Speed Hand Mixer