4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut - promising future
I bought this mostly because i couldnt get the rockin' single 'misfit' out of my head, but the album has made me realise that there is a lot more to amy studt. This brilliant album demonstrates amys songwriting and emotive vocal talents very well.
Published on 29 Sept. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift full of Secret Smiles
Published on 21 Aug. 2008 by Dan Thompson, Author

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut - promising future, 29 Sept. 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
'Just a little girl'- As most of you will know this was Amys first single and is a good introduction to the musical style and themes on the album. Quite angsty and rocky. 8/10
'Misfit' - Fantastic tune, one of my faves. It demonstrates what Amys music is all about and has a very good, strong message to down trodden teenagers everywhere.This is Amy telling about her school experiences and showing how different she is without making a big show of it. Music and lyrics pure class. 10/10
'Under the thumb' - Slightly reggae intro which soon turns into another rockin' 'misfit' type tune. Very catchy new single, should do well 9/10
'If only' - Very chilled and one of the dark horses of the album. You tend to pass it by on the first few listens but after a while you realise that it is a simple but beautiful song. Sounds a lot like Lene Marlins first album. Very good 8/10
'Beautiful lie' - Very strong reminders of Busted here (in a good way)!!, with the fantastic electric guitar intro. Very catchy chorus, great lyrics, emotive vocals. Another of my faves, should be a future single (i hope) 10/10
'Ladder in my tights' - Like misfit in theme, but more rockin'. A potencial teenage anthem. THE highlight of the album. This is Amy letting the world know that she is happy with not being a pop bimbo. This is pure class, great for teenage angst and to rock out to. LOVE IT. 10/10
'Carry me away' - This definatly grows on you, again sounds similar to Lene Marlin, but with Amys own touch of style 7/10
'Happy now' - Very bittersweet and beautiful. Very different from the other tracks with heavy strings. Very emotive. Amys haunting vocals and passion are second to none on this track. 9/10
'Gonna be fine' - Very gentle piano and spanishy guitars along with Amys haunting vocals and powerful lyrics are fantastic again on this track 9/10
'Superior mind' - Good but a bit samey here, similar to 'misfit' but less catchy. 6/10
'Going out of my mind' - Slightly boring verses but kicks in at the chorus, nice and catchy. 7/10
'Seconds away' - Another very nice song instrumentally, piano and strings fit with Amys vocals very well. Very gentle but angry chorus, the style that Amy does so well 8/10
'Testify' - co written by G. Barlow et al, who co wrote some of the strongest tracks on Delta Goodrems album. Amy sounds a bit like Tori Amos here, very strong vocally. 8/10
'Nobody' - The album ends on a slightly weak note compared to some of the fantastically loud and catchy songs on the album, but it does sum Amys album up very well. Very autobiographical, well written, well sung, emotional and catchy 8/10
All in all, a very impressive album. A definate cd collection must have for angsty teenagers, those with a rockin' side, those with an ear for a great melody, and wel....everyone really!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amy Studt - False Smiles, 3 Nov. 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
My daughter bought this CD and told me to listen to it (strange when your 17 year old asks you to listen to her music) and I did with some trepidation. I was expecting modern hip-hop junk. How wrong I was!
The whole album is superb, I don't think there is a weak track on it and certainly no filler. This goes to show that there are some young singer/songwriters out there who can produce good music. It is nice to see that a young girl can produce good music without relying on a purely sexy image. The only fly in the ointment is the track order. It is almost as if the CD is deliberately divided into two halves with the noisy and quiet tracks kept seperate. Some more imagination in the track order would have been nice, but that doesn't spoil the appeal of the CD.
For me, the jewel in the crown is "Gonna be fine", closely followed by "Misfit" and "Ladder in my tights" (the cleverly, and barely, masked sweary word brings a smile to my face every time I hear it).
I grew up listening to Queen, ELO, 10CC, Status Quo etc and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this CD. So, to all you wrinklies out there, there is modern music that is good. Give this one a go, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars So nearly 5 stars..., 22 Aug. 2006
Slam (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
The fact that a couple of years in, this still appears in my Ipods 'most frequently played' list is testament to what a great little album it is.

The tracks are witty, thoughtfully written and eminently listenable - although the producer was a touch trigger happy with the knobs on the mixer desk, adding in too many effects.

Should have been braver with the (masked) lyrics and gone with a Parental Advice label. Doubtless this would have helped shift a few CD's; swearings very popular nowadays...

Sadly, it seems poor sales (you stingy lot) have denied Amy a continued deal with Polydor. Boo. Hopefully she'll find a way to continue and we'll be treated to a follow up. I'll certainly pre-order without hearing a single note.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album!, 28 Sept. 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
I was finally convinced to buy this album after hearing Under The Thumb and it was definitely worth it. 12 out 14 tracks are fantastic, but I can leave this CD on repeat all for hours without getting bored.
1. Just A Little Girl - The first single taken from the album, nice lyrics, takes a while to get started but catchy chorus 8/10
2. Misfit - Second single, incredibly catchy, cant help but sing along to the lyrics! 9/10
3. Under The Thumb - Third single, reminds me of LeAnn Rimes crossed with Avril Lavigne! Not an outstanding track, but yet again catchy! 7/10
4. If Only - Has to be my favourite track on the CD, will always make you wana be with someone you love, Amy's voice is beautiful here. 10/10
5. Beautiful Lie - This one will have you tapping your fingers along, the tune gets in your head and wont go away! The lyrics aren't fantastic though. 7/10
6. Ladder In My Tights - Another finger tapper and one of the outstanding tracks. Has a rockier feel to it and the lyrics are fantastic, always cheers me up, its one of my turn it up driving songs! 10/10
7. Carry Me Away - One of two tracks I'm not a huge fan of, its not terrible but I don't like the chorus, I dont think Amy has the right voice for it. 3/10
8. Happy Now - This sounds a lot like a Michelle Branch song and is quite sad really, but highly relaxing, don't listen to it if you just broke up with someone. 6/10
9. You're Gonna Be Fine - This is gorgeous if you want to listen to somethin mellow, but I find that one note in the chorus is too high which ruins the song for me (you will understand if you hear it). 4/10
10. Superior Mind - Very dull beginning, but after that its a brilliant song with a rocky chorus, still haven't made sense of the lyrics though, I try every time and never manage to listen to them all!
11. Going Out Of My Mind - This is similar to Britney's Dear Diary, but far more classy and catchy, I love this song but its a little repetitive at times. 8/10
12. Seconds Away - This reminds me of Michelle Branch again, the lyrics work really well in a choppy kind of way and the rhythem holds you completely. 9.5/10
13. Testify - A nice rocky chorus, but the rest of the song is a bit boring, occasionally gets skipped because it sounds too similar to any other song with a rocky chorus, not the best song on the CD but not the worst. 6/10
14. Nobody - Could be Michelle Branch again, very simple, building up to a heartfelt chorus. A little depressing though, ending the album on a bit of a low note. 6/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a little girl, 10 July 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
I brought this album because I loved Amy's single misfit, and it has not left my Cd player since! It's got some songs similar to misfit- like 'ladder in my tights', which speaks out against those girls we love to hate! But at the same time there are plenty of slower and happier songs so overall the album doesn't appear too angry. Even though Amy is 16, you never get the feeling that she's singing songs that are too 'old' for her, which can sometimes happen with younger artists. I was also pleased to see Karen Poole had co-written some of the tracks- they had a real Alisha's- attic-y vibe. All in all this is a feel good album and you should check it out if you liked her single and want to hear more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting, 24 Nov. 2006
A. Northcott (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
I don't think there will ever be a time when I'll think "Amy Studt? Nah, don't want to listen to her"

This album is truly amazing. Three years after it was released, I'm still listening to it (I have the album on repeat right now) and singing along to every track. It's a shame that we havn't heard from her in so long, but hopefully she'll be releasing more music soon. Most of the tracks on this album are quite sad, deep and meaningful. It is obvious that the songs have been written from the heart, and they are all great to listen to.

Amy has a brilliant voice, and makes some of these songs sound quite haunting. Stand out tracks to me are 'Just a Little Girl', 'Carry Me Away', 'Seconds Away' and 'Testify'. I would give this album 6 stars out of 5 if I could =) I hope other people enjoy it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars My second review, 1 Sept. 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
If you assume that the singles are like the rest of the album, you would be wrong. Testify is one of my favourite songs of all time. Its excellent and is on repeat in my cd player. Im suprised that hardly anyone has mentioned this song because it is the best song on the album by far. Other gems include Ladder in my tights, which any teenage girl could relate to easily. Superior Mind is a possible single, if the start was dropped because it is drab but the rest of that song is great. Happy Now is the best ballad by far, the classical music at the start is very atmospheric. Other songs worth mentioning are Gonna be fine and seconds away which are lovely too.
One of the best albums of the year - buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent debut album, 8 July 2003
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
I was a little unsure as to whether I would enjoy this album when I bought it, as I had only heard the singles 'Just a little girl' and 'Misfit'. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Although the first time I listened to the album I skipped several tracks, as I listened more I found myself gripped by all of them.
This album is a mixture of bouncy rebellious tracks such as 'Just a little girl' 'Ladder in my tights' and 'Going out of mind' interspersed with slower tracks such as the haunting 'Nobody' and the bittersweet 'If only'.
Amy Studt's voice is excellent and the songs are written with a mixture of teenage angst and a maturity well beyond her years. Her content in many of the songs, such as 'Misfit' is a longing to stand out from the crowd and judging by the quality of her debut album she has certainly suceeded in this goal. I look forward to hearing more from her in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kinda Album, 21 Feb. 2004
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
I really like this album, it has a sort of pop-rock to it through a variety of songs. My fave song on the album is misfit, its very catchy and has a strong beat and rhythem,the words work well with the rock-chic amy gives the piece making it a very fun yet meaningful song. I really enjoy listening to this album and recommend it strongly to everyone and anyone as it suits all moods:)

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift full of Secret Smiles, 21 Aug. 2008
This review is from: False Smiles (Audio CD)
Overall, `False Smiles' by Amy Studt is a rollercoaster ride of emotions touching on subjects of seclusion, loneliness, bullying and strife. On the most parts its an album very much underrated that slipped under the radar to most people, but one that should definitely be given a chance. It does have its weaknesses towards the end of the album, but with a vocal range to be proud of and a writing gift that could propel her career, `False Smiles' has a variety of songs to listen to that will appeal to teenagers and adults alike. It's a shame that many of the more mature songs on here will go undetected to most unless the listener has found themselves in the same position, but with fast catchy songs like `Misfit' and `All I Wanna Do', the album could still be noticed today, even amongst the whirlwind of new sounds coming across from America.

False Smiles
False Smiles by Amy Studt (Audio CD - 2004)