The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 3 November 2004
I am a Lord of the Rings fan and a big reason is in no small part to the soundtracks.
Howard Shore deserved his oscar for this excellant soundtack as the music realy brought out my favorite moments of the films.
Particuler highlghts of ROTK were definantly the lighting of the beacons of Minus Tirith which summed up for me the splendour of the trilogy,the build up of tension before the 'Charge of the Rohirrim' and the track "mount doom" a mixture of struggle, power and emotion all in one great piece, and of course the end song 'into the west' by Annie lennox which realy caused a lump in my throat when I first heard it.
What makes this soundtrack so great is that it is one part of three!!! giving over 3 hours of enjoyment (much like the extended cuts of the film make that well over 10 hours of pure joy!!
I am a collector of soundtracks,usually the epic film kind and this is the pride and joy of my collection, I will listen to this probaly three times as much as any of the others in my collection with the possible exception of Fellowship, which include greats like Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans and a particule favorite King Arthur and it is great for studying!!!
I believe this is definantly on par with Fellowship of the Ring which features my favorite piece in the trilogy (the Breaking of the fellowship) and better than the Two Towers although the latter is still a great listen.
I particulerly like how Mr Shore has created a perfectly distinctive theme for each differant race of middle earth so you know instantly if it is an emotional scene with Hobbits (pipes) an attack by Uruk-hai(horns) or a massing of the Rohirrim.
This cd has it all, emotion, tension, exhileration and pure excitement and I would unreservedly recomend this to anyone!!
on 10 May 2004
Listening to the soundtrack for the first time after seeing the Return Of The King just after its release brought all the scenes flashing back. Listening to Billy Boyd in the "Steward of Gondor" brought back the image of Dethenor biting into the fruit and seeing the red juice dribble down his chin with the fruitless attack on Osgiliath in progress was especially powerful.
The “Return of the King” made my skin prickle, after so much sorrow hope and the future is in sight, However towards the end of the piece, themes from “Concerning Hobbits” in “The Fellowship of the Ring” give a glimpse of the parting of friends and sorrow yet to come.
The combination of “The Grey Havens” and “Into the west” somehow brought the sacrifice made by the Ring Bearer closer to home; the pathos exhibited by Frodo which can be so annoying at times, becomes understandable and easier to empathize with.
All in all a spine tingling experience that takes one throughout a full range of emotions.
on 15 February 2013
Very good collectible edition of this great soundtrack, of an amazing Trilogy. Quite recommending it, especially if you are a fan!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had expected something much better especially it being the final film in the trilogy. In my humble opinion The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers soundtracks were much more superior and intense. However I still enjoyed listening to the ROTK soundtrack especially the following tracks:
* A storm is coming
* Minas Tirith
* Twilight and Shadow
* The Black gate opens
However I think the tracks were too short on this CD.
Personally I would have brought in Enya again for the final song. She would have given it more justice than Annie Lennox even though she has a good voice. Enya's is more delicate and majestic.
The enclosed DVD was a welcome bonus but the video diary of Howard Shore was ever so short. I would love to see someday the FULL video diary of Howard Shore from when he started working on the Fellowship till the Return of the King !!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 December 2003
With the upcoming release of the film, who could resist the soundtrack for Return of the King? Lord of the Ring enthusiasts who have purchased previous soundtracks will certainly not be disappointed. This soundtrack notably includes ‘Minas Tirith’, ‘Twilight and Shadow’, ‘A storm is coming’ and ‘the End of all Things’ and the new song ‘Into the West’ performed by Grammy Award winner Annie Lennox.
Lord of the Rings trilogy fans will love this soundtrack, whether or not they have previous LOTR soundtracks already. It is (as expected) very atmospheric music that really puts you int he movie. In my opinion it is the perfect soundtrack for the final movie.