5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!
I first read about Joss Stone from the pages of MOJO a few months ago and took a note of her name making sure i would check her out, but it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I came across this glorious album. From the very first listen i fell in love with her voice and kept thinking to myself over and over, 16? Devon? No way.
There is not one bad song on Soul...
Published on 15 Jan 2004 by johnb742

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping for something more
Nothing on this CD blew me away like she normally does, i was hoping for something more, so a bit disappointed
Published 6 months ago by Princess Bilinda Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 15 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
There is not one bad song on Soul Sessions and not being a massive fan of Soul I can't compare most of these to the originals, so I can't really say whether they are as good or not. One of the highlights for me(being a massive White Stripes fan) is her cover of 'Fell In Love With A Girl' but sung from a female perspective making it 'Fell In Love With A Boy'.
This album is an excellent debut and shows even better things to come from Joss Stone. I can't wait for an album of original songs from her this year it should be a treat to any music lover.
I'll say it again: What a voice!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing talent!, 27 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
I read newspaper articles about Joss Stone and decided to track this album down on import........and it was well worth it. Forget the fact that Joss is a really young girl from Devon, because when she sings she sounds like a Soul Legend...Aretha Franklin in her prime. There is a really interesting selection of tracks on the album, including a fab cover of the classic Isley Brothers "For the love of you", and Joss got to work with an enviable array of artists, including Angie Stone and Latimore.So what does it sound like? It sounds truly truly beautiful....it has an amazingly soulful sound to it and theres not a bad track on it....my faves would have to be "The chokin' kind" "Dirty man" and the aforementioned Isleys cover...........but discover one of this countries most incredible undiscovered talents and BUY THIS ALBUM so you can make your own decision! You wont regret it...if you've an ounce of soul in you, you'll love it!Who needs Pop Idol, with voices like this emerging?

5.0 out of 5 stars Joss Stone - WOW, 28 Sep 2003
This review is from: SOUL SESSIONS (Audio CD)
Although we are still waiting for our CD from Amazon.co.uk, we have managed to hear the album through some friends from America. This young girl from Devon has a fantastic voice, sings the Blues with real Soul - not corny in this instance as it's nothing but the truth - and is taking America by storm. She has also had reviews in the Sunday times, the Metro and the Daily Mail in the UK, as well as being played by top UK DJ's - and she hasn't even been released here yet. Rumour has it she has landed a guest spot on tour with Simply Red in the states - buy the CD, it's gotta be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 15 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
Firstly, her voice. This girl can sing! Clear, pure, strong notes. If like me you hate warblers, then Joss Stone is well worth a listen. She has superb control too, and a fantastic range. I really didn't think a slim person could create such aural wonderment (small diaphragm). I was wrong.
Secondly, soul. If you're stuck in classic 70s Miami then you may not appreciate it. But if you open your musical horizons you may find it rewarding. Her first album was an Aretha, and while she's no direct replacement (who is? And to be honest, we don't need another Aretha - we have one already!) she has her own sound and it's really rather good. Lie back and close your eyes, it's the real thing. The girl really does have soul.
Thirdly, the album itself. Bringing together some seriously talented players, then throwing a young white Brit girl in the studio with them must have been rather strange for them. But listening to it they must have been impressed by her vocal talents too. The result is not background music for lounge lizard bars, although it'll be featured heavily in such places, it's an album that deserves to be listened to regularly and will be treasured by listeners.
Look, I can gush on about Joss Stone for ages. She could be the lead in a girl group if she liked, and she has the looks too so she wouldn't have to be "the ugly one that can sing but the camera hates". But she's chosen her own path and she obviously loves it. Good for her. And it works! But sadly some people will always hold her most obvious failing against her: she's a pretty white slim teen Brit rather than a big, black momma from the YouEssOfA. But if you're not prejudiced against the concept, you've a treat in store when you listen to this album. It proves music industry hype isn't needed when there is such depth of talent. Did you see her at Glasto? Marvellous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joss Stone, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: SOUL SESSIONS (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album sung by a 16 year old girl from Devon with an incredible voice. She is making it big in America and we are just starting to hear about her in England. I believe she is due to release another album early 2004 and I for one can't wait. Definately worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say you had this album before it was big, 28 Nov 2003
What a voice.
What expression.
It's said that to sing like this you've had to experience hurt, suffering and pain. I don't know how much Joss Stone (not her real name) has been through in her 16 year life so far but it must be harder growing up in Dover & Devon than anyone has ever thought.
This album has it all; it's as easy to listen to as a pop album but sung with the emotion of blues singer from the American south.
I'm resisting the urge to draw comparisons with other artists because she's good enough to stand on her own. However, for me, it's a little like when I heard JK from Jamiroquai for the first time. I couldn't believe he was a white kid from west London and, you'll never believe this voice comes from this girl.
Joss won 'Star for a Night' when she was 13 but she no Lame Academy or Flop Idol. She's the real deal.
If you're looking for something new this is it. Honestly you won't regret it. This is an album of covers and it's great. However she can do more than just sing. I've heard a song she co wrote on the radio called 'Jet Lagged' and I'm telling you this girl is going to be big.
Get this album. Be the first. You will be telling your friends about her. You know what they say, some lead and some follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soul Sessions, 17 Nov 2003
E. Kelly "Evie K" (New Milton, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SOUL SESSIONS (Audio CD)
We heard Joss singing on the Sarah Kennedy show last week and we immediately ordered the album. It was delivered from Amazon on Friday and we've played it over and over since! Every track's a winner. I particularly like Dirty Man. Joss has an incredible voice, soulful, mature. She is definitely going to be a big star and I wish her every success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet soul sister, 30 Oct 2003
This review is from: SOUL SESSIONS (Audio CD)
This album is an astonishing achievement. I'm led to believe that Joss is still only 19 years old. If this is true, her talent is staggering. Make no mistake, this would be an accomplished album if produced by a soul star in the peak of their career. At times the album is simply too beautiful for words. The stand-out track has to be "The Chokin' Kind" - a deep, sweet, heavenly soulful execution. If you love soul, you MUST buy this album. Soul is alive and well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music is not a colour (or a color), 6 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
If Simon Cowel had got hold of Joss Stone it would have been a tragedy.
On Radio 1 Joss Stone said in an interview with Jo Whiley " Music is not a colour, it's a sound". This album is testament to that statement. And what a sound this young girl produces ! It's all about the voice.
The Choking Kind. Now I can die and go to heaven having heard this track. If an alien came to earth and needed the phrase 'beautiful music' explained, this track, once played, would explain all.
Super Duper Love kicks and even more so live (I saw Stone support Eryka Badu at Brixton).
And Fell In Love With A Boy has to be this years valentines favourite. The White Stripes have changed the way they sing their original Fell In Love With A Girl using Stones phrasing and lyric tempo. Go girl. She's got the artist covering her cover ! Angie Stone (no relation) is on backing.
Victim is another track that leaves one wondering just what has happened in this girls young life to evoke such soulful feeling?
Dirty Man (missed from her live set) at first seems somewhat incongruous for a sixteen year old fresh faced Devon girl. But if you listen to the lyrics carefully there's nothing here that many a young woman would not relate to. And what a rendition.
Some Kind Of Wonderful is I think one of the many tracks backed by Betty Wright. Live, Stone used this track to introduce the band. Great performance.
I've Fallen In Love With You is a lovely ballad, sung beautifully. The original by Carla Thomas is not well known. I read in an article that Miss Stone cried the first time she heard it. Ahhhh. Init lovely.
J B Sebastian's I Had A Dream like many of these covers at first hearing seems a bit 'different'. After playing Soul Sessions constantly for the last few months the original would probably sound 'different' now. Stones rendition is quite a departure from the original but nevertheless works just as well as every other track on this album.
All The King's Horses : Would Aretha approve ? I certainly do. In interview Stone apologises. Cute and completely unnecessary. I'm sure I'll upset some purists for daring to say that Stones rendition stands shoulder to shoulder with Aretha's. There. I've said it.
For The Love Of You : Well, this is art for arts sake. It does go on a bit. I confess I have not always got to the end. Unless I'm in the mood. And then it hits the spot.
Joss Stone nicknamed 'Janis Joscelyn' by the New York music press.
The next Aretha ? No. The one and only, the original and first, Joss Stone. Don't hessitate. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good stuff, 22 July 2004
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
I was unkeen to purchase this album, due mostly to all the hype, and the fact that i wasn't overly impressed by 'Super-Duper Love'. I now have it in my collection because a wise friend bought it for me as a present.
I didn't stop listening to it for well over a week. What a voice this young girl has. The best new talent I have heard in some time.
She even has Angie Stone porviding backing vocals - a major star in her own right - and I'll tell you what, Angie Stone should be honoured.
I look forward with glorious anticipation to see what she can provide when she releases what was supposed to be her debut album (her own material).
I am forever in the debt of my dear, knowledgable friend ;o)

The Soul Sessions
The Soul Sessions by Joss Stone (Audio CD - 2003)