5.0 out of 5 stars My first tripod
Given the price, this little bit of kit has easily surpassed my low expectations.

Whilst I wouldnt describe the build as rugged it is well constructed (albeit plastic componentry with aluminium legs) and peforms superbly with my Canon 350D.

I'd highly recommend this for any enthusiastic amateur on a budget.
Published on 13 July 2006 by mitchbucanon

2.0 out of 5 stars breakable
i was happy with this product until after less than six months it broke !! the plastic clips on the legs are too flimsy, got for a tougher tripod IMO
Published on 19 Nov 2006 by Z. Gollop

5.0 out of 5 stars My first tripod, 13 July 2006
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)

I'd highly recommend this for any enthusiastic amateur on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value, 27 May 2005
Bill Harrison (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
This tripod offers all the features an amateur could
want. It's far more rugged than the Amazon picture suggests
but it is also lightweight and portable. In three words...
ridiculously good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the price, 5 May 2004
R. Booth - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I got this tripod to go with a new digital camera that I got at christmas. I bought it with the intention that it was cheap enough that if I found it useful I would buy a better one, but having used it, why bother with a more expensive one? The only problem I had with it was that there wasn't any instructions with it (yes, I know you're saying it's just a tripod, how complicated can it be?) but it does have quite a few features that aren't immediately obvious to the new photographer. The camera mount can be removed with a lever to aid screwing it to the camera body. It has a couple of spirit levels built in and the camera can be rotated and locked in every direction (it even has the option of locking the camera in the portrait position rather than the usual landscape format). It also comes with its own black canvas carrying case(bag). A fantastic piece of kit for the money, especially for those starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid piece of kit, 10 Oct 2004
Mr. R. M. Adam "Quality not quantity" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I've been using this tripod with a digital camera for a few days inside and out the house.
It is very light to carry and the very useful carrying case has an adjustable strap and the zip is really smooth and easy to open and close - that might sound funny but some covers for things have "crappy" zips that get stuck or snap off if you're in a hurry. The zip is also good for those with large fumbly fingers like mine! The case is of good quality and has a "rough" matt black textured surface that does not feel - or look - like plastic. Looks and feels professional.
The tripod itself is easy to setup, and although mine came without instructions you just have to try the knobs and things to see what they do. I can fix a computer hardware/software easily but this took me ages to suss!! But that's me and my fingers...
The top of the tripod has a quick-release camera mount base -again it took me ages to work out that to mount the camera, I have to release the catch and LIFT the small base off and THEN keyscrew that (keyscrew hidden under base)to the camera and THEN re-sit the quick-release base. After 3 practices it takes 3-4 seconds to use. Great idea!
This quick release is a BLESSING because it saves you having to screw/unscrew the camera everytime you want to use it without the tripod. The base is also small enough to leave on the camera as I slip the camera into my pocket.
A very stable (I suppose everything on three legs is) and solid tripod with a great quick-release and secure mounting gizmo.
I recommend this tripod AND the case without hesitation or reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value all I need, 11 Jan 2006
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
The low price does make you wonder if the quality of the unit is going to be ok - but I am delighted with the Star 61 tripod. I am using it with my Nikon D50 digital SLR for close ups, zooms and landscapes although I think I may invest in a remote control to avoid touching the camera at all!! The tripod even has a hook for weighing it down in winds.
I noticed another reviewer saying it doesn't pan smoothly for camcorders - it does - you use the top joint not the middle joint which is only meant to secure the ratchet.
Buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 features of a good tripod (pardon the pun), 14 Nov 2004
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I boughts this beauty about a week ago, and was it worth it!
My camera has this annoying feature which is that it slows down the shutter speed when you turn the flash off, resulting in blurry pictures for my unsteady hands. So 13 lighter, and it atrrived.
1.) a good tripod is sturdy. My friend bought a much more expensive tripod (35up) and this is probably as good if not better on the sturdy factor.
2.) panning ability. This really only applies for camcorders, but many a cheap tripod will pan in a jerky and annoyoing manner. This one does not do this, and as a result gives a much smoother picture. Better than ones thrice its price!
3.) Portability. How amusing to see a tourist with a shining petite camcorder smaller than their hand perch it onto a bulky brute of a tripod thats twice their hight and probably weighs as much as them. This tripod is ultra portable when folded, yet is big enough to be useful. It comes with a sturdy carry case, and it has a very solid handle on the actual body of it.
Initially, I thought I was going to be dissappointed as I was getting the cheapest hama did. Unless you are a.) a professional basket ball player that is 7 foot something and want to shoot at eye level or b.) intend to use it as a stepladder (it holds up to 3.0 KG, bearing in mind the heaviest Digital8 camcorder on the market is just over a kilo) the hama star 61 is a great bit of kit.
Look out George Lucas!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hama turns in a Star, 4 Nov 2004
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
Fantastic value for money, good build quality, great features including:
Attractive pewter colour with brushed finish
Extendable legs
Swivel head with adjuster arm
Landscape/portrait orientation
Quick release plate for attaching to camera base
Central support arms
Ratcheting hight adjustment
2x Spirit levels
Zip up shoulder travel bag
Rubber, ball mounted feet
If you are looking for a simple tripod to steady out your hand or take night shots, you cannot go wrong at this price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On, 30 Nov 2005
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I was looking to spend around £30 on a tripod and found one in Argos for around that amount. Thank god I took some time to search Amazon though, I bought exactly the same one at half the price, AMAZING!!! I even opted for the free delivery which only took 5 days. It's spot on. Very light, sturdy, compact when folded, easy to put up and later pack back into the very handy and well made carry case. Why spend more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, 7 Aug 2004
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
I wholeheartedly agree with the other reviewer. On the strength of his comments, I purchased one of these for use with my camcorder and Kodak DX6490 camera and can honestly say I am astounded at what you get for your tenner. Fully expandable, lightweight but reasonably strong, easy to use with good controls and spirit levels. Plus, it comes with its own carrying bag. Ideal for anyone like me taking their first steps in photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 6 Mar 2005
Rp Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Accessory)
In brief, if you want a tripod that is lightweight, compact, versitile and easy to use, this is all you need. It even has a tidy bag to carry it on your shoulder. It looks very stylish, has all the basic functions that you'd wnat, and only takes a minute to set up. Its extending and compressing range is impressive. It is sturdy and well-built. I use it for a camcorder, and the spirit-level really helps if you want a solid anf flat picture. Its clamps secure and keep the camcorder steady and solid. I'm sure it beats many other models for price and performance. A very good buy, and is a steal at the price offered by amazon.

Hama Star 61 Tripod