5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE ORIGINAL ASTRID, 1 Feb. 2004
Nicole Gallard (Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astrid (Audio CD)
After BOY FOR YOU,(Astrid's solo debut albumn 1998) I thought it was imposssible to be more moved by this uniquely talented woman. However, her new albumn (Astrid) is incredibly more expressive and beautiful.
Her haunting voice, sometimes a worldly Kate Bush, sometimes a mellow Snead O'Connor, warms and chills in equal measure.
BRILLIANT. Astrid is a Genius!

4.0 out of 5 stars Acoustic wonderland, 11 Jan. 2006
Robot Overlord (floating somewhere...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astrid (Audio CD)
I bought Astrid’s first record when I was about fourteen, partly because I thought she was pretty but mostly because I heard “I am the boy for you” on the Chart Show (anyone remember that?) and was struck by it to the point where I parted with twelve whole pounds – this was during that impoverished, youthful period of any music-lover’s life when records are bought with care rather than with reckless abandon – and it remains to this day one of my very favourite albums. yet, I must say that in some ways this newer, eponymously titled record is actually better.
There is far less production, for a start; it is simpler more elegant, and the lyrics ring truer than any of her contemporaries' efforts (other reviews have likened her to Dido, which is not really justifiable - in terms of songwriting and vocal ability Astrid leaves Dido coughing in the dust.) Her lyrics are clever, articulate and more truthful than those on her first record. Musically there is less movement which generates a more intimate feel, like a private gig in a pub backroom. There are a couple of missed tricks, but this only adds to the atmosphere, as though the listener is privy to something unfinished and a little bit near the knuckle, given the themes of lost love and loneliness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly beautiful arrangements, 20 April 2004
David Bailey (Sunny Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astrid (Audio CD)
Astrid's second solo album, after the major label treat that was Boy For You, is the most played CD in my household and car. There's nothing I can do to tire of listening to her superbly expressive voice which can be soft and alluring and then harsh and bitter within seconds. The playing is uniformly excellent and captures her live acoustic guitar sound perfectly. If you can only listen to one track, then try 'Blood Horizon' as the outstanding song from the CD.
In addition to the full album, there are four acoustic demos to make 14 tracks in all and nearly 55 minutes of glorious music.
Comes with full lyric sheet.
A record that will live with you for a long time and constantly surprise and delight you. I defy you not to be moved by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astrid, 30 Dec. 2004
J (Brighton, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astrid (Audio CD)
I first saw Astrid playing a solo gig in Brighton and was amazed by her perfomance. She can really play, she can really write and she can most definitely sing. Also, she looks great.
I take it that, if you're reading this review, you've already heard Astrid's beautfiful, graceful music. Her most recent album (the one with the Rankin cover and to be honest, the one I bought at the gig) is absolutely wonderful.
What was once Dido is now Astrid.
J x.

Astrid
Astrid by Astrid Williamson (Audio CD - 2004)