4.0 out of 5 stars Very Different
blink-182 are one of those bands that seemed like they would never grow up but as this album proves, they have. I'm a huge fan of their earlier releases like Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch and I have to admit that when I first listened through the album I was shocked. Where were the jokes, the funny songs and the great riffs? Had they put the wrong CD in the case...
Published on 1 Dec. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Could, and SHOULD have been so much more...
I'd been anticipating the release of this album for almost 2 yrs, and I have to say it stirs up a mixed bag of feelings for me; I REALLY dislike it, and as a loyal fan, I HATE that I dislike it! I've followed Blink since Cheshire Cat, and have seen many fellow fans disapprove of the more pop-styled Enema and T.O.Y.P.A.J; opinions which I found crazy! For me, every Blink...
Published on 27 Nov. 2003 by Mr. C. M. Sullivan

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It's... different., 23 Nov. 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
When I first heard about a new release from Blink 182 I jumped for joy. When I heard the album, my reaction was completely different.
I have loved Blink for ages. I think they're the best rock band out there, and have been for a while. But this doesn't seem like Blink to me. They all seem out of place. The music is good as ever. But the lyrics are (in most cases) so over done- it's like they tried too hard.
It's also a shame (for me anyway) that Mark doesn't sing v. much. I've always thought that Mark had the nicer voice out of him and Tom, but Mark doesn't sing that much. In a way it's like it was Tom's album, and Mark just went along with it.
But there is good stuff (after all, Blink could never make a completely crap album). The song Easy Target is my favourite, and is a v. good song- catchy. Feeling This, Go and I Miss You are also good. But I can't stand Violence, or All Of This- they certainley tried too hard.
To be honest with you, it's a good rock album. It's just not a particulary good Blink album (Blink need to get together and have a listen to Enema, and then they'll se just how great they were).
Still, if Mark, Tom and Travis are proud of it, then I guess we're looking at the future of Blink 182.

4.0 out of 5 stars BLINK'S BEST RELEASE YET!, 2 Mar. 2004
Greg Paul (Derby, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
When people think of Blink 182 they automatically think of fart jokes and fu**ing. Well think again!
When I first heard this album at a friends house I was really suprised at how different it was. Blink have certainly improved as musicians and have developed a more mature style. They really use Travis to their advantage on this album too!
The single "Feeling This" gets the album off to a usual start with punchy melodies, and impressive use of harmonies towards the end of the song, but not much different to usual Blink.
But then it starts. The dark sounds of "Obvious" with its punching chords. The acoustic sounds of "I Miss You" accompanied by strings. The dark, yet emotional "Violence". The energetic "Stockholm syndrome", that starts with the emotional reading of a letter Marks Grandfather wrote to his Grandmother during the Second World War (accompanied by piano)
The lovesick "Down" which fades into a duybstyle instrumental track influenced by Travis's love for hip-hop (Some very impressive drum rolls are use on this!). Then they're back in your face with the catchyness and energy of "Go". But one of my favourite tracks has to be "All of This" with the guest vocals of "The Cures" Robert Smith. Another acoustic track filled with emotion. The pure energy of "Heres your Letter" breaks down and makes way for the emotional piano accompanied "I'm lost without you" which must be heard by fans of Dashboard Confessional.
Overall the album is a lot more emotional than past releases. Think "Stay together for the Kids". Think Jimmy Eat World, and Box Car Racer. This album is a must have for any fans of those bands. And not forgetting... Fans of Blink 182!
I'm not holding back on saying....
.... This is Blinks Best release yet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction!, 9 Nov. 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
After Blink released Take Of Your Pants And Jacket, despite its huge success it was clear that Blink-182 had definately moved towards a pop-punk style since their earlier days. Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch were their first two successful indepedent releases and many true Blink fans still rate these albums as their best. When Enema Of The State was released it sky-rocketed Blink to stardom and became their biggest selling album of yet. However with this increase in sales came this change in style. It was said that if Blink continued in the same direction with this latest album then they wouldn't achieve the same success as before and so many people called for this latest album to revert back to the classic Blink style.
Well from what I have heard and read, their self-titled eighth album reveals a different style that hasn't quite yet been shown before. Firstly the album is definately more serious and if you are lookin for lines like, "We wanna f**k a dog in the a**", on this album, then u'll be disappointed. Their first single release from the album, Feeling This, sums up their change in style since the last album. It keeps with their upbeat, pop-punk style with a catchy chorus that sticks in your mind from the first time you hear it. It also incorporates a more deep, punky style in the verses that will satisfy Blink fans from old. Other songs like Go and Violence are more punky and have some great guitar riffs in them. Violence in particular shows that they have definately been working hard for this new album and out of the songs that I have heard so far, this one is the best.
I cannot claim that this album is brilliant because I haven't heard it all yet. However in one weeks time it will be released and I will definately buy it. If you are a Blink fan then you should do the same too because they have worked hard to satisfy a new generation of Blink fans who prefer the more pop-punkish style and the old generation of Blink fans who like me, are still living off Dude Ranch! From what I have heard so far, this album will be enough to keep the legend that is Blink-182! alive for a couple of years yet. Who knows? Maybe next it'll be an acoustic album! Then they will have really grown up (like that could ever happen)...

4.0 out of 5 stars A new beginning, 18 Nov. 2003
J. A. Eyers "jaeyers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
I've always had a soft spot for this band because they got me into the alternative music scene. And, I'm pleased to say, that soft spot hasn't hardened thanks to this new album.
It's different. And not in the way that "Enema Of The State" was different from "Dude Ranch", or different in the way that "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" was different from "Enema" (though you have to have listened to both of them relentlessly to notice how). The sound is different. It's heavier. Lots of bands have released new albums this last year and promoted them as "heavier" and/or "experimental". Few of them have lived up to that promise. This one does. Sure, it's not heavy enough to genre-shift into the Finch fold (though there were moments where it sounded like it would), nor is it experimental in the way Radiohead are supposed to be.
This isn't an album you can imagine former Blink-alikes such as Bowling For Soup or A Simple Plan ever making. Gone are the purile jokes completely, as are the songs about dating. There's not even a novelty track on here. So not only have Blink grown beyond themselves, but they've also put a distance between themselves and those bands that have sought to emulate them. There's a certain unexpected dynamism, then, that perhaps means Blink will survive when other pop punk acts fall.
So if not Blink, then what does it sound like? Well, it's still Blink. Tom DeLonge's vocals continue to grate, perhaps more now than ever, and Mark Hoppus continues to be the better singer. For some bizarre reason, The Cure's Robert Smith turns up to sing one song with them, and Val Kilmer's ex-wife Joanna Whalley reads out a letter for this album's answer to "Adam's Song".
On first listen, though, the two bands that came to mind straight away were Box Car Racer and 'A', funnily enough. Box Car Racer isn't surprising, seeing as it was Tom DeLonge's side project with the Rancid boys. It's not only the more thoughtful lyrics that have carried over from that defunct band. As for 'A', I have no idea...
Musically, it's not breaking any new ground. However, it's still interesting. It's very much a studio album, evident in the use of a flange effect on drums and overdubbed vocals. Not very punk rock, but I don't think they're claiming to be anymore. I liked the regular use of keyboards, and the increased distortion on the guitars stopped the perpetual chirpy pop feel that has defined the previous two albums.
Whether all that's going to sit well with the rest of their fans is another matter, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 7 Jan. 2004
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Radiohead experimented, so why not blink-182? yes, as you probably already know this latest blink album is a bit different to previous offerings; it comes across as a more sombre and laid back record compared to earlier albums, a more grown up effort from a more grown up band. With tom&mark trying a new thing with side project box car racer and drummer travis having been involved with the transplants there was always a possibility of a new direction, hinted at by some songs on the album 'take off you pants and jacket', such as 'stay together for the kids'. The big choruses are still there but for the most part the lyrics are more thought provoking than before. Songs deal with peoples deepest feelings, and the band add their own notes in the lyrics booklet to get across to the listener that thought has gone into thios album. Just have a think before you buy this album, are you ready for a change?

5.0 out of 5 stars best album yet!, 28 Mar. 2004
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
i have been a blink fan for a few years now and i think this album is their best offering yet. a lot of people are comparing it to previous albums like Enema, but the truth is that it cant be compared to anything they have ever done. i have loved everything from blink, this is no exception, it is not really the massive chang some say it is. blink really started doing more mature songs even on Enema like 'Adam's Song' and on Pants and Jacket with 'Story of a Lonely Guy' and 'Stay Together for the Kids'. this album just has more song like those ones, only better. it is worth buying for riffs on 'Obvious', 'Easy Target' and 'Asthenia', blink still leave their trademark powerchords but with overall better lyrics and a more serious attitude. the only way you will ever know if you like this change in direction for blink is if you hear the new songs for yourself. what have you got to lose?

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Album, 12 July 2004
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Blink 182 is famous for their juvenile lyrics and simplistic, effective melodies (you can play most of their songs with the same chords, in the progression, on a guitar). This wasn't that big a problem before, but with their new album, they've stretched themselves sonically as well as lyrically.
There's a lot of experimentation in this album with the instruments. Barker's drumming has become even more complex, and his riffs (particularly the last one on the CD) are at least effective, at most mind-boggling. And while Delonge and Hoppus still work their relatively simple style, they do so with new instrumental variations and ideas. The opening to "Asthenia" plays dark brooding music underneath actual NASA transmissions from the moon, Joanne Whalley reads a letter from Hoppus's grandfather while strings moan, and "Violence" features pure percussion as the singers speak rather than sing.
It's a potent mixture of traditional Blink-182 and their newer, more mature selves. If you want more information on the sound of the album, the men behind the band have provided liner notes on every song, sometimes to excessive detail (I'm not an expert on flanges). Even that helps to underline their new mission. Of course, you need only listen as far as "Stockholm Syndrome," the darkest, bleakest pop-emo I've heard in a long while, to get that. Heavy drums and bursting guitar riffs alternate with moody interims where they quietly sing, "I wish I could explain myself, but words escape me . . ."
As far as the lyrics go, Blink-182 still keeps their general theme of lovelorn angst, but they kick it up a notch. The CD as a whole speaks mostly about the problems of relationships, from someone willingly being used ("All of This"), to the excitement of love and sex, and how they bounce against each other ("Feeling This"). One of their more inspired tactics is to actually guest Robert Smith (of Cure fame) on "All of This," and as Smith quietly sings his sorrow, DeLonge counteracts with his twangy, nasal singing. "With all of this I know now / Everything inside of my heart". While some find it irksome, DeLonge's voice matches perfectly with the style of these songs. And the songs are a cut above the usual depressed pop-emo fare. Rarely do you find cultural nods to Nightmare before Christmas in a song about willing abandonment ("I Miss You").
There are two sides to Blink 182 now. While they still revel in their punk/crude humor (if you doubt that, visit them on tour), their songs are taking a more urgent, insightful turn. One of the more exciting, rare things to witness in music is a band evolving at the risk of alienating fans. With Blink 182, it's the right choice, and they've become stronger artists in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars new blink still rocks, 8 Jan. 2004
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
i don't care what other people say, blink still has it. sure it sounds different, but then again, blink has been constantly changing their style in the past (eg. dude ranch to enema of the state was punk rock to more pop rock). as everyone else has mentioned it is much more serious as well as relaxed. i could hear certain similarities to box car. however, that said, i can still hear a lot of the old blink in the music, it's just with a new twist. all 16 songs r great, and the 4 xtra videos r cool as well except they are more like home movies.
this album is excellent, and definitely ranks up there with the other blink cds.
i just want to clear something up having read a previous review. this is still the same blink. all the members are the same as the ones since enema of the state.
one last thing: BUY THIS CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars How wrong was I?, 17 Dec. 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
I heard 'Action' (before it was called feeling this) on the blink 182 website and I must say I wasn't impressed. Then I went to Leeds Festival to see their old songs performed live, but all I could hear were new songs by the truck load. I went home dissapointed and thought I would never buy Blinks new album, how wrong was I?
Hearing this album I was continually making cracks and comments about how poor it was, then I heard the first notes of 'Obvious' and I shut up. then came the hard hitting 'Violence', my jaw dropped. The melodies of 'Always' sent me running to the Record Shop with a couple of fivers in my hand.
I love this album and see blink in a new light now, it seems to be light years away from Cheshire Cat but it is the same band and I wouldn't have it any other way... God Bless Blink

5.0 out of 5 stars blink-182, 23 Jan. 2004
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
I only have 1000 words here, I'm not sure its enough. I'll try and tone my review down so its easy.
Basically, I have been a fan of blink-182 since i randomly bought dude ranch one day in hmv. It remains one of my favourite albums, and introduced me to a whole new genre of music. With dude ranch, blink-182 truly mastered the art of the underproduced punk album. With fast beats, poor singing, loud guitars, and toilet humour, it made for a classic.
This album is almost the complete opposite. The untitled album has none of the toilet humour that has become almost a trademark for blink-182, which was a very brave step to take, and has had split opinions. The production is excellent, the effects used are spot-on, and the instruments sound perfectly crisp.
The songs are well structured and well thought out, and the lyrical work has been split really well, rather than with previous albums which in general consisted of either mark or tom singing lead for a whole song, while the other provided backing vocals. The two voices work really well together, and two leads on one song gives the band a sound that not many others have, especially when their voices are so different sounding.
The best tracks on this album, in my opinion, include:
Obvious - great song, the verse sound ties in perfectly with the choruses, and the drum sound used for the verse is excellent.
I Miss You - best track on the album, an excellent acoustic song featuring both mark and tom on vocals.
Go - a great track about domestic abuse. This is a fast upbeat song that just makes you want to jump around and break stuff
Not Now - why this is a bonus track is a mystery to me, as its definitely one of the strongest songs on the album, great lyrics, guitars, and drums
A mention also goes out to All of This, which features the Cure's Robert Smith (but you all knew that anyway), and a final mention to Travis Barker, who really outdid himself on this album with some phenomenal drumming, great job
All in all, this is a rock masterpiece, on first listen you may not like it, but persevere and you will truly love it. I expect this to still be playing in my cd player 20 years from now, it's really that good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

blink-182
blink-182 by Blink 182 (Audio CD - 2003)