4.0 out of 5 stars Very Different
blink-182 are one of those bands that seemed like they would never grow up but as this album proves, they have. I'm a huge fan of their earlier releases like Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch and I have to admit that when I first listened through the album I was shocked. Where were the jokes, the funny songs and the great riffs? Had they put the wrong CD in the case...
Published on 1 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Could, and SHOULD have been so much more...
Published on 27 Nov 2003 by Mr. C. M. Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Different, 1 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
blink-182 are one of those bands that seemed like they would never grow up but as this album proves, they have. I'm a huge fan of their earlier releases like Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch and I have to admit that when I first listened through the album I was shocked. Where were the jokes, the funny songs and the great riffs? Had they put the wrong CD in the case?
After I'd listened to the album a few more times it really grew on me and there are many outstanding tracks on the album but at the same time there are still tracks which make you want to press skip on your CD player.
The musicianship is amazing and there are lots of strange effects in almost every song with layers of guitars and one song uses 4(!) basses on the outro so there is always something new to pick up on each time you hear the album and great depth to every song. You can really tell they spent a long time on each song to make it 'perfect'.
If you are a blink fan chances are you'll buy this album anyway to make up your own mind about it, but if you are still not sure whether to get it or not, I would say buy it. You may think it's the worst thing you've heard in ages and blink are no-more (like me) but I can assure you three or four listens later you'll be hooked and realise that, whilst not the greatest blink album, it's right up there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised but very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Whilst waiting for this album to come out i knew from various articals that the blink boys wanted to do something different, or more heavier, and this is the finished item, and any Blink fan or Punk fan will love it. Gone are the jokes and pop sounding music and now we have a much darker side, it is a shame that they could not have done this sooner but should have know that it was in the wind with Tom off doing the BCR project and Travis off with the Transplants the music was always getting heavier.
All songs are fantastic in there own way with everything you could want from a Punk band, i was a fan from the start and thought that Dude Ranch was there best effort yet with TOYPAJ running a close second, but this eclipses both of them, stand out tracks have to be Feeling this, I Miss You, Go, All of this (which is the best on the album with Robert Smith of the Cure guesting)and I'm lost without you, but every song sounds great apart from Obvious which to me sounds to much like Tiny Voices off the BCR album.
But if your looking for a much darker heavier feel to Blink 182 then you'll be happy, even if your not then this is still an album to have, the boys have grown up and producing the music they should be, to a great sounding finish, and Travis gives the best drumming experience you will ever hear on one album, so all in all Superb, fantastic best blink album yet !!!!!!!!!!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Punk jokers grow up, make album of their lives, split up., 27 Dec 2006
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Blink 182 didn't make a great deal of progression across their successful career. They made one great leap when Travis Barker, arguably the best drummer in punk rock history, replaced founding drummer Scott Raynor, but outside of that there was little evidence of it until this album. This untitled, not self-titled album was one final stab at maturity. It burned them out, and they broke up shortly before they finished promoting it; the perfect way to bow out, having proved themselves.

Their previous masterpiece, Enema Of The State, bares little resemblance to this eclectic, lovely collection. That was an album of adolescent frustration through the eyes of a sophomore comedian, and the music was more or less straight pop-punk. Here, there are no joke songs - although the toe-curling spoken word section of 'Violence' comes close, though not deliberately - and the lyrics have gone from teenage jokes to more adult longing and lost loves. After the shameless retread of Take Off Your Pants And Jacket, this is definitely welcome.

Augmented by pianos, synthesisers, a Robert Smith guest vocal and dozens of ideas, the band show themselves to be more ambitious than you would expect multi-platinum selling pop-punkers to be. 'Feeling This,' with its effect-laden drum opening, shows you that this album has gone somewhere else, before alternating lyrics between the romantic and sexual sides of love. It is, in many ways, one of their greatest singles and certainly their finest album opener. The other singles show the band breaking further boundaries - 'Always' all flat-fifth chords, spilling over four minutes to be their longest single to date; 'I Miss You,' an all-acoustic ballad with tongues not in cheeks; and the claustrophobic 'Down.'

Even better than those songs are the lesser-known album tracks, which give them even more room to breathe. 'Easy Target' with its percussive backing track, the spiralling, seven-minute length of the heartbreaking closing track 'I'm Lost Without You,' and best of all, the two-minute rush of 'Go,' a return to their hardcore roots and one of the definitive moments of this album and their career.

Taking this album into account, one imagines that blink-182 broke up at exactly the right point. Their success built and built as their career went on. Having seen them at their last UK gig before breaking up, I can certify that they bowed out at their live peak. And with this record, they'd finally proved themselves to be serious artists, perfecting their body of work. If you think you know blink-182, get this album and prove yourself wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the new blink and i like it!, 25 Nov 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Right, for a start off many people who only like blink 182 for the songs 'All the small things' and 'Whats my Age again', Sadly, there are no such songs like this on the album, so dont waste your breath by saying that this album is rubbish, as the true fans of blink 182 all love the album ROCK ON BLINK!
i heard some of the new songs from when they were recording in the studio live on the website, and they sounded awesome. Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus combine to bring powerful lyrics and music to the songs. the new guitar in which tom uses gives a better sound to what he wanted, and he was shoked at the outcome of the sound, as it was better than his Fender. Travis is at his peak on the drums and this shows through all the songs, as the beat changes nearly all the time in the songs.
There new single 'feeling this' is also a hit, althoough this was released before the album itself, i new that people would love the album.
this album has great songs, includin 'i miss you' and 'im lost without you' not to mention the 'eery' poem that is read out at the end of 'violence' which is truly remarkable.
the best thing about this album is the various genres of music you get on the album, it is much more different to what the old albums sound like, and it proves with the added sound effects that are put into the songs.
people are now making comparisons to boxcar racer, which is a good thing. this is probably becaudse tom liked the sound he produced to make the boxcar racer album and decided to continue with the unique sound through to blink 182.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 26 Aug 2006
D. Watmuff - See all my reviews
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Blink 182 introduced me to the music that I listen to today, the very first time I heard 'All The Small Things'. If it wasnt for them I wouldn't be into such great music. I loved all of their previous albums, I loved seeing them live with their great jokes and laughs.

Then this album arrived, I was just the same as everybody else who critisized it for being nothing like their previous outings. I made myself hate it because it just wasn't Blink. Now nearly 3 years down the line, knowing that they had split up. I started listening to this album again and I realised what a great album it is, even though they changed their sound it is a masterpiece and they went out on a high note.

Thanks Blink for all your great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blink Still rocking, 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
This new album is certainly not what I expected but it ROCKS!!!!!!! its definately not the old blink we know and love but it is still amazing there are still parts that are definatle blink but the transplants and boxcaracer influences are obvious and have created a trio that is now producing more amazing music but of a different kind to what we are used to them providing. They are so much more of a alternative rock band now but still in a league of there own .This album explores completely new region of music there are quite alot digital effects used , the drumming is amzaing !!!! what do u expoect from travis ?? but still with all the added effects there is still that raw punk rockness that blink glow with presant.
overall I am really into this new album eventhough I have only had it like 3 hours and I recommed and blink fan to buy but beware the first time you listen to it its a shock because its so different then you listen to it again and you love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My choice, maybe not everyones, 4 Sep 2005
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Ok, I loveloveloved it! Obviously, the singles, Feeling This, I Miss You, Down and Always are high points of the album, but there are some hidden wonders! Easy Target and I'm Lost Without You are two of my personal favourites. But there isn't one part of the album I don't adore. But this isn't to say it's for everyone. If you're looking for hard- core punk, I would not suggest this, you should be looking at the Sex Pistols or the Clash, this is more post-grunge pop-punk.
One of the many things I love about it is the range of songs, there are mosh out anthems, thoughtful songs (not very Blink 182, but they work brilliantly) and numbers you can't help but sing along to.
If you're into Green Day, The Offspring, Red Hot Chili Peppers, that sort of thing, then you'll love this. But if you're looking for a classic punk rock out, I would suggest looking elsewhere. But just to set the record straight- I LOVE THIS ALBUM SO MUCH!

5.0 out of 5 stars blink at their best, 17 Dec 2003
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
This could go either way for Blink 182, a band best known for their cardboard-thin punk rock. So they have decided to do a more 'grown-up' record this time. Well yes I know what you're thinking Blink 182 grown up? Is it gonna go all wrong or are fans going to dig this new album?
With Mark singing his heart out, Tom playing the most unusual sound ever and Travis the best drummer there is I'm sure the fans will love it. You might find it hard to accept the new sound at first but after a while you will learn to love it just as you loved other Blink 182 albums. For fans like you people that have been with them a long time are growing up just like Blink 182 are, so you might not wanna listen to the same sound all the time.
i think this album rules and i hope u do too!
WELL DONE BLINK 182

3.0 out of 5 stars Could, and SHOULD have been so much more..., 27 Nov 2003
Mr. C. M. Sullivan "craigmarksully" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
I'd been anticipating the release of this album for almost 2 yrs, and I have to say it stirs up a mixed bag of feelings for me; I REALLY dislike it, and as a loyal fan, I HATE that I dislike it! I've followed Blink since Cheshire Cat, and have seen many fellow fans disapprove of the more pop-styled Enema and T.O.Y.P.A.J; opinions which I found crazy! For me, every Blink album had so far outdone the last, and I was expecting this trend to continue; especially as it's been so long in production. I loved Boxcar Racer, which I bought as a welcome stop-gap for me initially, and which MAJORLY grew on me through summer 2002 - so much so, I rank it among my fave albums. Ultimately I began to think of Boxcar as the 'unofficial' Blink album of 2002. Boxcar was a new darker sound, and it worked! Tom's whiney voice really worked in this grittier tone.
With this in mind, I was expecting big things of the new album, but alas it hasn't delivered. It tries to be both Blink and Boxcar, and this indecisiveness causes it to be neither. It hurt me to not like it, and so I've spent the past 10 days listening to the album over & over to try and make myself like it, but only 5 songs are just about ok: Feeling This, Violence (ruined by some cringey and needless narrative at the end), Always, All Of This (would have sounded better with Mark singing the verses, and not that Cure guy though!) and Not Now (How is this a UK-only bonus track??? It's the best song on an otherwise dire album, the Americans deserve this one on their version!). The other songs are frighteningly average and it feels like they've spent so long working on it, that it became a chore for them. I can't stress enough how sub-average the rest of the album is, other than the 5 tracks I've named. I think one of the major reasons for this is that the rhythm and pace in many of the tracks are shifted too much, so you can't relax into the song and 'feel the music', for wishing they'd leave it alone.
In these other reviews, people have listed Stockholm Syndrome and Obvious as good etc, but I really haven't been able to understand why! I hope the next album doesn't continue in this way... I'm not optimistic though. If Blink want to persist with a darker tone, they should look at Sum41, who at least make it powerful and use cohesive rhythms and riffs. They should also broaden their knowledge of chords, as the ones they've used so effectively in the past don't achieve that darker tone properly, and end up making the songs sound a little pretentious. I even think my love for all things Blink is making me overly-generous with giving this 3 stars! I never thought I'd write a bad Blink review, but there you go. Look what you made me do guys! Prove me wrong with your next one, ok? PLEASE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk perfection!!!, 24 Mar 2005
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
Blink 182 have expressed a talent far greater than they ever seemed willing to before in this self titled album. Unlike past efforts, 'Blink 182' is not simply a fun, juvenile punk record, it is a master class in its genre. It is however, very difficult to determine just what genre this album fits into. Fundementally it is punk. The loud,thrashing, sound of the likes of 'Easy Target' and 'Go'support this. In stark contrast however, 'I Miss You' is a relaxed and beautiful ballad of sorts, Travis Barker toning down his drumming with the use of brushes. Blink show further experimentation on 'All of This', borrowing the voice of Robert Smith from 'The Cure' for the verses in a wonderfully mellow tale of love and longing. It seems unfair to single out any song from this album for comment as every one is magnificent, yet 'Feeling This', 'I'm Lost Without You' and 'Down' all deserve a mention as they are all fantastic tracks. Blink 182 is a perfect album,full of emotion,every song has obviously being crafted with real care, expressing feelings of heartache, longing, lonliness, lust and happiness. This is one of the best albums I've ever heard and it gets better with every listening. Blink 182 are an incredibly talented and inspired band and this reviewer at least hopes this new direction is the start of a great new era for the band....contrary to signals coming from them in the press.

blink-182
blink-182 by Blink 182 (Audio CD - 2003)