4.0 out of 5 stars Early pop nuggets
Published on 26 Feb 2008 by D. J. H. Thorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Another time and place
Whlie listening you can definitley feel the time was more innocent than swinging never the less an interesting set of songs.
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by MAC

4.0 out of 5 stars Early pop nuggets, 26 Feb 2008
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Matthew & Son (Audio CD)
The main attraction of Cat Stevens's first album, enhanced by bonuses of course, is the presence of four major hits. The music, largely orchestra-backed pop, is very dated and not what Stevens is renowned for, but it is entertaining. The unforgettable title track suggested that Stevens wanted to write more than just love songs, though there are several of those on this disc. The other two hits, 'I Love My Dog' and 'I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun' show two other sides of the singer, one gentle, but determined, the other belligerent. 'Here Comes My Baby' is the other hit, though it was The Tremeloes, not Stevens, who scored with it.

So what about the rest? It's a mixture of solid groove ('Baby Get Your Head Screwed On'), painterly observation ('Portobello Road') and throwaway pop/love songs ('Lady' and 'Come On And Dance'). Most of the tracks are fairly memorable, making this an ideal buy for lovers of mid-1960s pop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Matthew ~& SWon - Cat Stevens, 24 Sep 2011
L. M. Jones (north Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matthew & Son (Audio CD)
Bought to replace an old, long-lost vinyl album. It was a great trip down memory lane hearing all my old favourites from my early teenage years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another time and place, 8 Nov 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Matthew & Son (Audio CD)
The CD arrived a day late, but I enjoyed the music very much. I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun is one of the best tracks on the CD, followed by When I Speak To The Flowers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Matthew and his new son, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Matthew & Son (Audio CD)
I ordered this cd as my son Matthew and his wife have just had a new baby boy so the title seemed very apt. I loved Cat Stevens in his hey day and all the songs brought back lots of memories.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all that it's cracked up to be!, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Matthew & Son (Audio CD)
I have chosen "I don't like it" (2 star) but to be honest it's about 2 and a half stars, it's between "I don't like it" and "It's okay."
I only really bought this for one track "I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun" because I used to listen to this in my teen years and it was a favourite of mine, there is two versions, one stereo and one mono, which its how I would have heard it as I used to hear it on a transistor radio back in those days.
Apart from that track Matthew and Son and I love My Dog are the only other tracks I thought were o.k.

Here Comes my Baby was another track which I like but regretably not by Cat, but the Tremeloes version, which in my opinion, was a lot better.

This is probably the worst Cat Stevens album that I have ever heard, no wonder he changed his name!

That said even some of his other albums I wasn't that keen on, but hey you pay your money and you take your chances.

It also goes to show that some tracks that you liked in your youth may not appeal to you 40 years later.

Matthew & Son
Matthew & Son by Yusuf/Cat Stevens (Audio CD - 2007)