5.0 out of 5 stars Has made my pictures 100% better...a joy to use
I had been looking for an upgrade to the cheap and cheerful kit lens that came with my canon 30D so did some extensive research on the forums to which lens would suit my needs for under £300.00.

Many of the forums were praising the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di and I must admit I am now one of the happy customers to add the list.

I've had this...
Published on 30 July 2007 by M. Heward-Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying this lens!
I bought this lens the first year it came out and still have it in my collection of lenses today.

Published 10 months ago by Victor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Has made my pictures 100% better...a joy to use, 30 July 2007
M. Heward-Mills (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Canon (Accessory)

I've had this item for a couple of weeks now and have taken some 200 shots. I must say it has made a massive difference to the quality of my photos and the pleasure in taking and showing them from my Canon 30D. I have the 18-55 kit lens and also purchased the highly recommended budget priced Canon EF II 50mm f1.8 prime and to be honest, these two lenses have not been on my camera since the purchase.

My main shot subject is of my children and family so having the f2.8 across the range on this lens really helps in lower light conditions.

I've found the sharpness to be pinpoint, colours are rich and accurate, yes it sometimes hunts for focus a little in lower lighting, but not so much so that you'd really notice at all especially if this is your first more serious purchase of a lens.

My other options were the Canon 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM. Canons 17-85 has the wider range at both ends and Image Stabiliser but on the whole my theory is that for moving subjects like the kids IS won't make a whole lot of difference... it is the higher shutter speed that the constant f2.8 of this Tamron allows that makes the difference.

If you are considering a budget lens that wont blow the bank, I cannot praise this lens enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamaron 28-75 2.8 lens, 24 Dec 2011
I have been after a fast lens for some time to use with my Canon DSLR. I always wanted the Canon 24-70 2.8 but never had the £1000 spare cash to buy it. I seen this little gem and I love it. The autofocus isn't quite as sharp as the Canon but its fast enough and the quality is brilliant. I have only been using it a few weeks andhave taken some excellent shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 28-75mm XR DI Aspherical Lens for Sony Alpha DSLRs, 18 Jan 2011
A. Styles - See all my reviews
I purchased this lens when I had a Alpha 500 to replace the 18-55mm SAM kit lens. It was a great improvement over that lens and when I upgraded to an Alpha 850 the lens is still able to perform to a high standard.

The Tamron is quite large and chunky which is good as you have plenty of lens to get your hands around. It is quite heavy even though it is a predominantly plastic lens and the zoom and focus rings are nice and solid with no play. With a 67mm diameter this lens is quite a good light gatherer, which means it can produce decent pictures in poor light coupled with the constant f2.8 maximum aperture. For well lit scenes it comes with a petal hood which effectively reduces internal reflections.

The image quality is very good for this price. At 28mm there is little barrel distortion or pincushion affect which is something that tends to happen quite a lot on kit lenses when they are at their lowest zoom level. There is a bit of vignetting at f2.8 on the full frame sensor, this clears away if you stop down to about f4 onwards. At 75mm this is not so obvious and doesn't cause a real problem even at f2.8.

I find in use that 28mm is just about wide angle enough to be useful for landscape work and the fact that you can have a f2.8 aperture at all focal lengths means that it is also a great performer for portraits, you can normally focus out any unsightly backgrounds behind your subject as you would with a good prime lens.

This is a great all round lens that will make an excellent replacement for your standard kit lens when you start to notice it's shortcomings, and at this price you probably won't find a better performer that has full frame compatibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens but........., 27 Dec 2009
I have had this lens on 2 Camera bodies, the first being the 450D and the current being the 50D. This lens is superb on the 450D, its sharp at 2.8 and superb at F4 upward to around F11. The only thing is, on my 50D it tends to rear focus by about 2" or so! But not every time so I am not able to use the 50D's focus adjustment! Its a real shame that this happens, it may just be my combi that doesnt get on? I use a Tamron 17-55mm F2.8 (non VC) and have no issues with that one. Because of this issue I have decided to sell this lens which is a big dissapointment to me as it is a superb lens overall with amazing IQ, for the price you will not beat it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great lens, 17 Oct 2012
This is my first 3rd party lens and i was initially worried about the performance and build quality. after reading reviews and some videos on youtube i finally decided on this lens.

Mine is A09II which is having built in motor. Overall build quality is good for me. It is definitely heavier than a kit lens. Autofocus is not that slow as other have mentioned. I can still live with it. AF sound is more than nikon ones but reasonable. AF also does have issues in very low light situation as it struggles to get AF set.

I am using it for more than 2 weeks now and quite happy with it. Its easy to carry and its always on my Nikon D90 now.

5.0 out of 5 stars David JW Basildon Essex, 6 Sep 2007
David J. Williams (Basildon Essex) - See all my reviews
The best 'Standard Lens for the money'. The way things are going it makes sense to buy a DSLR body only and choose your own better quality lenses rather than opt for a cheap brand standard lens.

I'm happy with my purchase, I use a Canon 300D but the Tamron can be used on 35mm as well, also one mag review tested this lens up against a Canon costing £900, hardly value for money, the Tamron wins.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality F2.8 lens, 10 Aug 2013
I got this to use at my sister's Wedding and it worked very well. This gave me the flexibility of 28-75mm F2.8 and used with a Canon 50mm F1.8 prime to get a lovely range of shots. If I had the money I would have perhaps gone for a more expensive alternative but this gave me the results I wanted so I'm happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for the price, 8 Aug 2013
Purchased as a walk around lens. Feels a little plasticky but for the price I can't complain. Really good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens on a budget, 6 Sep 2011
Well I must admit I was very unsure whether to get this cheaper version lens, but I have got to be honest I am really pleased with it. I have looked at the Canon 24-70mm lens over and over again but can't really justify the £700-£800 for a second hand lens. This lens gives crisp pictures, great colour and isn't too heavy which seems to be the main bug bear with the Canon.
I am well happy with this lens, recently taken may favourite photo of all time with it. Check out the viewers photos.Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit
Its a great buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying this lens!, 1 Dec 2013

I used it originally for the Fuji S2 and S3 Pro cameras that took Nikon mount lenses; in those days I was really happy about this lens and it took some great pictures and it was wonderful that it had a large f/2.8 aperture which was a real benefit in those low light situations.

So what about today? I have the Nikon D7000 and D800 cameras and professional lenses like the 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, so how does it perform? The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 cannot match Nikon's professional grade lenses costing many times more, but here is what I think you should know about this lens and what one needs to consider before making your purchase:-

- I would not recommend this lens for FX bodies; if you have a camera that has a full frame sensor then you should seriously consider getting some top quality glass (professional lenses), on my D800 it didn't perform that well, however on DX bodies it's a different story, on my D7000 performance is good and so I would only recommend using this lens on DX cameras only.

- Note: On DX sensors, taking into account the crop factor, this Tamron zoom lens gives an effective focal range of 42mm to 112.5mm and one may find that 42mm at the wide end is not wide enough at times; to get around this the Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens will do the job and will cover the wide-angle side of things.

- This lens does not have a built-in autofocus motor so it can only be used on cameras that have an AF drive in the camera body. One can get a version of this lens that has an AF motor inside the lens, so make sure that the lens you buy is compatible with your camera body.

- Performance wise, the lens is nice and sharp at the 28mm setting and looses a little sharpness at the 75mm end. Sharpness is good wide open at f/2.8 and improves as you stop down to f/5.6

- Auto-focus performance is a bit hit and miss in my view: In good light with good contrast subjects the lens performs well; in low light it has a tendency to miss slightly the optimum focusing point and on my copy it also has a back focus issue and needed a fine-tune correction of -10 on my D7000. There is an easy way to get around this and that is to use 'Live View' using your camera's monitor. In Live View, your camera uses contrast mode detection which is more accurate than phase detection, i.e. when using your viewfinder to take pictures.

- This lens is not in my view a true macro lens, neither does it has the performance of a dedicated macro lens; it does allow one to get in closer, but for serious macro work one will need to invest in a dedicated macro lens.

Finally; The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a nice lens that performs well and gives decent results on DX bodies and represents good value for money; however, I would not recommended it for FX, full-frame sensor cameras. If you buy this lens, check it out carefully as soon as it arrives and make sure that you have a good copy. This applies to any lens you buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›