5.0 out of 5 stars The crows remind us why we love them
Published on 18 Nov. 2003 by George

3.0 out of 5 stars A few songs are good
For me, the album is mostly full of mediocre songs, some are good, but generally I was a little disappointed :(
Published 11 months ago by Sophie Heath

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The crows remind us why we love them, 18 Nov. 2003
George (Kingston, Surry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) (Audio CD)
I have long been a fan of Adam Duritz and his merry band of ever so slightly eccentric Americans. I'm sure that there are many of you how can still remember the first time the got home and slid 'august and everything after' in their cd player and the beautiful build that is 'round here' slide effortlessly into Omaha, before lifting our spirits of the next year with 'Mr. Jones'. unfortunately like me that CD may have been sitting at the bottom of a rather dusty pile for the last couple of years, at last we are reminded of the lyrical beauty and gently crafted music that is; Adam, Dan, Ben, Charles, David, David, Matt and Jim. Through the years the crows have given us songs that will forever remind us of moments in our life, for example 'Anna begins' sound tracked my first real love, 'long December' that road-trip that we don't talk about!
Some casual fans may be upset by the omission of certain tracks such as the hit single 'colour blind' which became a hit after the film cruel intentions. However this hardly detracts from the package, which if like me you have been a fan for a while, becomes a journey through a part of our youth.
If you are merely a fledgling crow then this is just about the best place you could start and will give you a wide view of their work through the years.
The two new tracks complete the reason as to why every one should own this. they continue on in a similar vein as the last album - 'hard candy' - Adam once again showing his talent for being both uplifting as well as thoughtful. As we see from this collection, the Counting Crows have grown up, but they haven’t lost any of their spark that we first loved.
All i can say is that I hope this isn't a goodbye!

4.0 out of 5 stars Counting the memories, 17 Feb. 2004
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Is it really time for Counting Crows to release a 'best of' album? It seems like only yesterday that I, like many others, heard 'Round Here' on the radio and rushed out to buy August and Everything After, the Crow's first album.
Adam Duritz has one of those voices that can quite easily cope with the full range of emotions, which is just as well because through their 4 studio albums they have probably captured them all. The one that they manage the best though, and the one that has captivated their many fans thus far, is the angst-ridden sound of a man who is trying to come to terms with his deep seated emotions. Yes, it's haunting, but the lyrics and that voice strike a chord with almost everyone that comes across them.
That said, I wouldn't like to be the one chosen to compile this 'best of' album, it's just so hard to choose from the range of fantastic songs on offer. Luckily, it looks like whoever did create the track list knew what they were doing, as all the bases are pretty much covered here, along with some new studio tracks (although 'Einstein' is actually an early track not previously released) and a live track for us lucky UK fans.
If you've never sampled Counting Crows before (where have you been?!) this is as good a place to start as any, though I'd recommend adding 'August' to your basket as well, you won't be disappointed.
So what of the fan who has their back catalogue already? Well, even though I have the 4 studio albums and the fantastic 'Across a Wire' live double album, I will be buying this new CD, both for the new tracks and for the fact that I will be safe in the knowledge that I can carry one CD around with some of the best tracks ever written. The bonus of having a DVD with 8 captivating videos as well means that this is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Class!!, 3 Feb. 2004
Seriously could this album be any better, I doubt it. The Crows have really excelled themselves with this one. It is a rare occurance when a band manage to pull off a 'best of' album which would appeal to all their fans but in this case, it has been achieved. All their best songs on one album, people might think that there is no point in buying this album if you own all their CD's anyway but it is worth it. The DVD is also fab and for the price of an album you are getting good value for your money.
I was super impressed to see 'Mrs. Potters Lullaby' and 'Mr. Jones' on this, they are both fantastic catchy tracks which in other bands' cases have made them too out there to appear on their greatest hits. Good to see one of their newer tracks on it 'American Girls' although I would have said 'Hard Candy' equally deserved a place on this. One ommission which I found quite disappointing was 'Colorblind' - this is such a change for the Crows and it would have been good to see it recognised as a good diversion from their usual stuff.
'Hanginaround' - another classic track as were al the others, this band will go far - well even farther! A new recording was also included which I must say is fab. If you have never heard of the Counting Crows or their music then buy this. Buy this and then add to your collection by buying their earlier stuff. This CD is the Crows, it is their best songs on one value CD. Not only that but you get the DVD as well which treats you to some of those classic videos. If you only have enough money to but one CD this year then buy this one, you will certainly not be disappointed! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would give 6 stars if i could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 31 Jan. 2004
What can you say about a best of album that is not from the most well known of bands in the uk? well in all honesty all i can say is how are they not one of the most well known bands!!!!.
This album has it all being a fan for the last 6-7 years it was just a case of how long for a best of, and here it is with all the classics from Mr Jones, Round Here, Long December well i could list the whold album, but this really is one of the best of albums i have brought, even people who may like the odd song it would be a great buy cause then you might find songs that you like but never known about, it is still hard to belive there highest chart song has been the latter known Big Yellow Taxi but really there should have been a lot more.
This would be a classic addition to any CD collection and for die hards fans and fans alike the bonus DVD is fantastic with again there classics songs Mr Jones, Long Decemeber, and for me the moving Video to Round Here which is worth buying the added dvd alone, also Hanginaround and American Girls, but a fantastic extra to a totally awesome album.
If there are any complaints about this CD it would be, Why is this not a 2 cd album?, and it easily could with for me classics missing like Colourblind, Black and Blue and Perfect Blue Buildings and Miami, but i guess they had to draw a line somwhere!!!
But instead of wasting your time reading this gooble click the buy button and treat yourself to the most uplifting generally feel good and feel sad pick me album of the past 20 years!!!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that is quite simpy touching, 10 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) (Audio CD)
Anyone who says that they cannot relate to at least one of the CC's excellent songs has simply not looked into the music deeply enough. The crows are a band who pull at heart strings one minute, and uplift you the next. The fact is, is that the way the songs are written, and indeed sung, is what draws you in. It makes your recently broken heart not seem so bad after all, or your feeling that your never going to make it in the world slowly dissapear, as it seems Duritz is experiencing the same emotions. Sudddenly all your troubles arent that heavy after all.
In a nutshell, this album gives the Counting Crows all the credit they deserve. From the excellent and uplifting 'Angels of the silences' (Did it make it any easier to leave me where I stand?) to the haunting Round Here (I walk in the air, between the rain through myself and back again..) and my fav A Long December (I cant remember all the times Ive tried to tell myself to hold on, to these moments as they pass...)
They really is something on this CD for everyone, not just avid fans. It is true that the music may very well be a matter of taste, but there is no denying that this band can manipulate the way you feel, being either uplifting or simply comforting. To some of the songs you could cry away your sorrows, whilst others simply beam a smile across your face.
Quite simply, this CD, as all the bands albums, will quickly become a solid piece of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album from a brilliant band, 24 Mar. 2008
D. Rogers "Amazonian" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) (Audio CD)
Being too young to remember the original Counting Crows boom in the Nineties, I approached this album with some trepidation, unsure what to expect. And it blew me away.

It opens with Angels of the Silences, a very loud, powerful rock track (and not one of my favourites - I prefer the more acoustic version on Across a Wire). It moves straight on to Round Here, a track which took a while to grow on me, but when it did, it became one of my all time favourite songs, and remains so.

Rain King is fairly upbeat and cheerful, and A Long December is slightly more wistful, whilst Hanginaround is more of a swing record - all three pretty good, if slightly unremarkable.

Mrs Potter's Lullaby is the longest song on the album, but it'll pass a lot faster than the seven minutes would suggest, and is very up-tempo (and also provides the source for the title of the album). Mr Jones is possibly one of the more well known Counting Crows songs, and, like so many of the other songs, has poignant, thoughtful lyrics in contrast to the music they are sung to.

Recovering the Satellites is another grower, and another one that has become a top song. American Girls falls under the same category and style as Rain King etc.

Big Yellow Taxi, a cover, is sung very well by Adam Duritz, and he certainly does the song credit. Omaha is a bit slower than some of the others, and provides a little bit of a break from some of the faster songs earlier in the album. Friend of the Devil sounds quite country in places, but still catches the essential essence of the band.

Einstein On the Beach is a cheerful, upbeat song, in sharp contrast to the slower, more thoughtful Anna Begins, referring to those first moments of love. Holiday in Spain is far and away my favourite Counting Crows songs, with a melancholy song matching the lyrics, referring to a life going to waste somewhat.

The album is closed with another cheery song, She Don't Want Nobody Near, and the live version of Blues Run The Game, another acoustic song.

This album is a brilliant introduction to Counting Crows, and contains a lot of their best songs (although there is not enough room for all their best songs. There could almost be a second CD in this album, with the likes of Miami, Black and Blue, Accidentally in Love, If I Could Give All My Love, Catapult, A Murder of One and Colorblind all failing to make the final cut).

If you have never heard of Counting Crows before, I would first recommend this album; then, for any tracks that you particularly like, try and pick up live versions of them (there are enough live albums for most of their better songs to be available live). Counting Crows are excellent in the studio, but live are nothing short of remarkable.

A 5-star album, and one that has hardly left my CD player since I first bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do You Really Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star?, 9 Dec. 2003
S. Wright (Sheffield, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) (Audio CD)
I know what you might be thinking...an odd title to a review I know, but it is surprisingly relevant. Just as Adam Duritz came into the room with weird coloured flowers seemingly pouring out of his ears behind him, he sat in front of me, with a cup of something warm, in a room that was pure white, with only his drooping dreadlocks taking any attention from myself. He's a rock star, but a highly reluctant one, and you can tell that just by looking at him over the last ten years. 'Man!' he says as he sees me staring at him in disbelief, and I can't help but laugh at this self-confessed insomniac as he takes a sip of whatever he has in that cup of his. Of course this is all in my head...it's my imagination, but it's relevant, because since 1993, Adam Duritz and his band Counting Crows have been letting us make us feel our imaginations are relevant with tragic and whimsical verses as well as letting us into what makes them who they are, so when you come to the end of shall we say, 'August And Everything After' you feel like you've lost someone who understands how you feel, when you come to the end of 'Recovering The Satellites', you feel like that same friend just woke you up and then put you back in bed, when 'This Desert Life' has finished, it feels like that close friend is just a little closer, and as for 'Hard Candy', they're now your best friend and you know them better than anyone. Hence the fake Adam Duritz interview.
Those who have been around to hear these Counting Crows will have heard some wonderful things, and possibly even endured in trying to figure it out yourselves. Although it is seemingly impossible to figure out Duritz's world, it's also seemingly impossible to make a perfect 'Best Of' for them. 'Films About Ghosts', for the experienced fan such as myself is bound to be missing something, my favourite songs won't be on here, but for new fans, or casual listeners this is possibly perfect. Either way, the fact is that no matter what they were going to put on 'Films About Ghosts', it was going to be special, and although they have played it safe, it's still as great having little sections of your little friends.
'Mr Jones' was always going to be on here, with its uplifting tone that hides the painful interior of Adam Duritz's dreams; the final line being 'Mr Jones and me...we're gonna be big stars', would change as the Crows career went on, first not accepting the success of their debut, and then slowly taking it and becoming a lot happier with it by 'Hard Candy'. 'Round Here' has no choice but to be on here; the first song that anyone ever heard by Counting Crows was what initially dragged us in upon hearing 'August And Everything After', and with its longing tone, and lost forever attitude, its a pure folk song classic, which is up there with any song of its stature of the 70's.
It's odd that they open with the Crows most rollickingly good song, 'Angels Of The Silences' which is another great piece of musicianship to hide Duritz's pain filled lyrics behind, while just showing enough light to let everyone in to see. It's odd because it adds an expectation to a new fan that the rest of the album won't fill. For those who don't know, traditionally, though they're good from both spectrums, the Crows are a much more low key band than one that can write a song with dirty, great riffs. 'Rain King' and 'A Long December' do shortly follow 'Angels...', but show none of its raucous nature, but instead portrays pure emotion and thought. 'Omaha', and 'Anna Begins' also follow later in similar vein, while 'Hanginaround' at the time of release was the Crows most satisfying upbeat song, with all hands clapping and everyone joining in it seemed. While we're on the up, 'American Girls', provides an interesting insite into the most mainstream of all Counting Crows moments; American as apple pie, 'American Girls', shows their stunning ability to write perfect pop songs as well as low key stunners and plain weird joyousness in 4 minutes. Their cover of 'Big Yellow Taxi' is of course here, which is probably their biggest hit, and with it's feeling or pure freedom, soaring strings, it was meant for the Crows. It's a pretty good representation of what the Crows were best at, and as a whole, it shows nearly every side to them, although in 16 tracks, you can never get every side to Counting Crows long and winding story.
The new songs are very good and can be proud to be on here, such as one of their original demo's 'Einstein On The Beach', which is a lovely piece of melodic pop/rock which at the time was almost like a taster of what was to come. Although it was simple, you could tell they'd go far. 'Friend Of The Devil' is a The Band cover, which suits Duritz's voice down to the ground adding a little more of a country vibe to 'Films About Ghosts', while new recording 'She Don't Want Nobody Near', is unsurprisingly, like nothing the Crows have ever written before, and just as good.
There are some surprising ommisions though, especially the beautiful piano-led ballad, 'Colourblind', which was just as stunning as anything on here, if not more so. Most recent single 'If I Could Give All My Love', not being here also is somewhat of a disappointment, but you just can't go wrong with whatever they decided to put onto here.
'Films About Ghosts' is a nice look inside Counting Crows talents as timeless song-writers, musicians and people as well as what goes inside Adam Duritz's sleepless head. Despite there not being some of my all time favourites on here, such as 'Black And Blue', 'Colourblind', 'Hardy Candy', and 'Sullivan Street', this is still a terrific compilation, and a must have for any self respecting Americana or rock fan. Personally I don't see how everyone can't like at least two Counting Crows songs, because they have something for everyone and then they double it. He may stir his drink slowly in front of me, but you can tell Adam Duritz is thinking something you'd never expect. He might even be writing his lyrics down in his head, but you just know that it'll be something very special when it comes out on the other end. 'Films About Ghosts' is a great compilation for anyone who thinks that they can enjoy it in their own opinion. And as for my title, well...after hearing what Duritz himself thinks about the life he leads, you might just think twice, just as him and Mr Jones probably did. He did change those lyrics from 'When everybody you, that's just about as funky as you can be', to 'When everybody loves you, that's just about as f*cked up as you can be', showing the anxiety around a talent that's seemingly too much for more than just this world, and even his own. He might not have slept properly for ten years, but if it makes him feel any better him and his band of brothers have been making people smile, cheering people up, giving them the highs and lows they need and keeping a lot of people happy because of it. I get the feeling it'd make him smile.
Tell him if you see him.
4.5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of, 29 Sept. 2013
a great dvd of some of the more well known songs, plus a collection
of songs on cd some new some well known but a good mix,i have been
wanting a live dvd of a concert but this is a good start..

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, 28 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
I've never been much of a Counting Crows fan (or rock for that matter) sticking more to 'dancey' artists such as Faithless, Lemon Jelly, Kosheen and Dido, but bought this 'Best Of' album after becoming hooked on Big Yellow Taxi.
And what an amazing decision it was to dig deep and fork out for it. Too many albums are labelled 'Album Of The Year' and I'm not saying this about the Counting Crows, but what I will say is that it will be one of the best CDs I buy all year, no doubt.
The CD oozes with wicked tracks, like A Long December, Mr. Jones, American Girls and Big Yellow Taxi and there are no songs that you wish they had excluded (in fact after hearing some of their earlier stuff from previous albums you will wish they had more room on the CD). The bonus DVD is a big feature as well, packed with 8 smashing videos.
So all in all, it is an outstanding 'Best Of' album and deserves to be bought by everyone who believes they know what good music is.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of.... Counting Crows....Soooo True!!, 5 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) (Audio CD)
When you get music store vouchers this Christmas, run out and get Films About Ghosts..The Best Of The Counting Crows. Even if you don't get any vouchers, GET this CD.
It's jam packed with all of Adams classics, from Long December to Hanginaround, Mr. Jones to Big Yellow Taxi, two covers and a great new track. What more could you ask for??
If you only buy one CD this year, make it this one. A must for all fans!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows)
Films About Ghosts (The Best Of Counting Crows) by Counting Crows (Audio CD - 2003)