5.0 out of 5 stars The hard hitting power is back!
Published on 17 Feb 2004 by Y-ted

3.0 out of 5 stars I think they need to take another look...
5 years down the line I've been listening to KoRn, and I've bought all their albums in order (which is the way you SHOULD do it) and each one is a new journey to me.
There's probably only 3 albums tops of everyones KoRn favourites, and I know what you're all thinking, 'KoRn', 'Life Is Peachy', & 'Issues', well actually...no! To me its 'KoRn', 'Follow The Leader', &...
Published on 22 July 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The hard hitting power is back!, 17 Feb 2004
Y-ted (Hicksville, South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
There have been lots of differed opinions on this record, but I feel it should be put straight. This album amplifies all of the moody and agressive power of the three previous albums, (being Follow the leader, Issues and Untouchables.) The fact it is ultimately different to their first two records should only make a korn fan love this album more. Why would anyone want six albums spaced over a decade to be of a similar style? This is a perfect mix of old and new on offer, as the gritty, somewhat traumatising, songs of old are hightened by the new sounds backing the Untouchables album, which left much controversy. I loved this album and still love it as it beats the hell out of a bad day, with tracks like Right now, Break some off and Deep inside, and the power overflow fills any cynical whimp with emotion during Counting on me, Did my time, and When will this end. Any Korn fan of any of their styles will find something to Love in this very dark album. A must for the heavy music fan, and you'll love the way it looks in the CD rack. Go on, give all the RnB pretty boys and girls a nice scare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-Blowing Stuff, 4 Dec 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
A brilliant album picking up elements of all the other albums into one. Very impressed from the first listen getting better each time it is played, unlike untouchables which took a bit of getting used to.
Only one song I cannot get into, Play Me featuring NAS, but I am sure it will grow on me.
Just really glad KoRn have gone back to their roots and older style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Korn - Take a look in the mirror, 1 Dec 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
The other reviews pretty much sum up what this album is like, however I actually think this is possibly the best album from Korn to date. As mentioned the Untouchable album was 50/50, a little experimental but to be honest did loose something. I think the band realised that and went back to what they do best.
The opening track is awesome and sets the benchmark for the rest of the album, listening with a little bit of fear that the album would noise dive my mind was put to rest. Each track just seems to get better than the last. By the time you are getting through track 4 you with have witnessed a brilliant blend of teeth gritting heavy riffs, excellent vocal dynamics and aggressive lyrics, It’s hard to imagine how they can maintain the standard…Track 5 just did it for me, It’s just fantastic and it just doesn’t seem to stop, track after track of head nodding, foot tapping, teeth gritting music with serious edge, wrapped up at the end with ‘When will this end’ which is a strange mix of melody and riffs from older tracks and just makes you want to hit ‘repeat all’ on your CD player.
This is honestly the first album for about 5 years that I have bought that I can listen to from start to finish over and over, I’ve had it two weeks now and it hasn’t left my CD player I think I’m on about the 40th listen…5 stars! Essential Buy! Pure Genius!!!!
(Plus you get a DVD with this which has a cool mix video of a few hit songs of each alubm they did, all this wrapped in a nice package, the best 13 I've ever spent!)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Their Best, 30 Nov 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
Take a look in the mirror is along side best albums. In my view the best albums being: Their self entitled debut album, Issues, Untouchables (anyone who says its a dissappointment is talking crap) and take a look in the mirror. the first time you listen to it you think it's ok but it sort of grows on you, you get to like it the more listen to it
all korn fans buy this album its great

5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT Masterpiece, 8 Dec 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
I admit that I was a tad skeptical when I picked up this album, although their last effort, "Untouchables," was able to show me that Korn was getting back to their darker and heavier roots. Still, I was a little worried. Well, the worrying was nothing but wasted energy, because "Take a Look in the Mirror" is an EXCELLENT album. It completely runs laps around "Untouchables" and kicks it into overdrive. Next to their first album, this is Korn's finest effort.
It's dark, it's heavy... and it's intense. Everything you'd expect to hear on a Korn album, and then some. As soon as I heard the first song, I knew things were going to be okay. The album is mesmerizing and hypnotic; angry and vicious; dark and beautiful. The band has really evolved with this latest effort. Jonathan does a spectacular job of balancing the singing and screaming/yelling. The guitars and drums also sound a lot better in this work than in previous efforts. It is clear that the band has created an outstanding masterpiece.
I didn't find a single song that I disliked in any shape or form, but my favourites are "counting on me," "right now," "did my time," "everything I've known," "I'm done," "when will this end," and "alive." Their live version of "one" is also terrific. Those are my favourites, but the whole album is a great listen.
"Take a Look in the Mirror" is everything a Korn fan would want, or at least that's the way I see it. While I still think their first album is the best, this new album is #2 in my eyes, and just when I thought they wouldn't be able to do something better than "Untouchables." Just goes to show you to expect the unexpected. An EXCELLENT album and an outstanding listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes....., 3 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
In a time where Nu-Metal has died and the only bands from that era are the badly flagging Limp Bizkit and the ultra-dull Linkin Park are rememberd, it's good to see that the daddy's of the genre are still around and have returned to their brutal roots.
Pretty much for the people that loved KoRn's earlier work rather then "Follow the leader" to "Untouchables" this is pretty much a return to that, with rhythem loud, guitars crunching and vocals screaming KoRn are doing what brought them to the dance...by being more brutal then people are willing to admit!
This is what Nu-Metal REALLY is....what a shame people only remember the rappers........

5.0 out of 5 stars No cracks in the mirror, 3 Feb 2004
Jordan Booth (Keighley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
Korn are a band you either love, hate or love to hate, and if you hated them before nothing on this album is going to change that fact, but the Korn fans this is a real return to form after the disappointment of 'Untouchables'. Korn realised they had to grow after that failure and they have grown with grace, and have managed to take a trip down memory lane and seen the classics that spawned such a great band. Opening track and first single 'Right Now'is reminescent of the old days when Korn were the kings and not the one's trying to claim the throne. Jonothans voice seems a lot more natural than on 'Untouchables' were the $4 million dollars were spent trying to make the production too fancy. Korn recorded this album in Jonothan Davis' basement and the album really benefits from this, as it shows that Korn really are able to show that their earlier stuff isn't nesecerally their best stuff. The satirically titled 'Y'all Want a Single' is bruising track with the down tuned guitars vlaring out of the speakers with such force they almost knock you over. Even when guest rapper Nas appears on the album they are relentless in their pursuit to prove how good they are, the outstanding song on the album though is the fantastic 'Did My Time'. Heavy guitars a rumbling bass, pained vocals everything you would ever want from a Korn song. Also the bonus track a live cover of Metallica's 'One' really show how good they are. A must for all fans of Nu-Metal and of course it's kings KORN

5.0 out of 5 stars Emphatically a return to form!, 26 Nov 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by "Untouchables" and when I saw them at the Docklands Area it was definitely the old ones that were superb!
I hoped this album would be good after hearing "Did My Time" and "Right Now" and it is!
The drums and bass are as tight as ever, the guitars rumble and soar and JD sounds absolutely incredible on some of the tracks.
You've got to buy this record if you like metal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! KoRn fans come back!, 1 Mar 2004
juggertrout (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
I have been a KoRn fan for many years. But after Untouchables I felt annoyed. KoRn had turned out a poor, to say the least album. I hated it with the exception of Here To Stay, Alone I Break and Thoughtless. I was a bit skeptical when I picked up this album, but my god is it great. KoRn have gone back to their roots, turning out their heaviest album to date with catchy songs and mass riffage.
The album starts off with the excellent and heavy 'Right Now'. Then to the gruelling 'Break Some Off' and on to my favourite song on the album, 'Counting On Me'.
Other great songs are the brilliantly structured 'Did My Time', 'When Will This End?' and the off the wall 'Y'All Want A Single'. Also 'Play Me' with Nas makes a good song that even rap haters would appreciate.
There is not a single song reminiscent of the crap on Untouchables. This album helps me forget about Untouchables and think on what KoRn might churn out in the future. Let's hope it's something like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD (Audio CD)
Ive been a fan of korn ever since they released their first self titled album, which was their best album in my opinion. This album definatly compares to it; KoRn sound as though they have gone back to their roots. This album has full blown a** ripping metal. If you are a kornfan, DO NOT think twice about buying this album at all.
Tracks to loo out for -
Counting On Me - Very melodic and heavy at the same time. Jonathan's vocal's are also amazing on this track. Brilliant Stuff.
Right Now - Their up-coming new single, and its a great track to open analbum. Very heavy, and the bass is amazing too!
Lets Do This Now - My personal favourite track on the album. the song starts with JD's bagpipes (which sound VERY similar to 'Shoots and Ladders', but more up tempo) which progress into a very heavy track, with, of course, excellent vocals from JD.
Overall, an amazing album. Buy it now!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD
Take a Look in the Mirror: +DVD by Korn (Audio CD - 2003)