5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding value
Bought this along with the SVA 2818, one for present, one for myself. Put simply, after testing I went for the Yakumo. Looks and feels better than the SVA (SVA still outstanding value though. Check my review for it on it's own reviews page!!!!!)
On testing, they were both on PAR with what they could playback. I tested the following.....
DVD
DVDR...
Published on 24 Dec 2003 by Mr. G. D. Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok for 35 pounds
Well mine was ok, but after a while, the dvd player stop playing dvds..i've tried region 1 and region 2 dvds, but after a few seconds, the dvd player stucked and stop playing all the dvds i've thrown in. Yet, no problem playing the VCDs and CDs. Unlucky for me. Have to return and ask for a replacement.
Published on 24 Feb 2004 by a1448202

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding value, 24 Dec 2003
Mr. G. D. Kelly "G.Kelly" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yakumo XL2 5.1 Channel Multi-region DVD Player [With Scart Lead] (Electronics)
DVD
CDR
CDRW
MP3
JPEG (pictures)
and probably any other types you can think of, apart from MPEG4(DivX)
I would say the Yakumo's output was slighty better, especially with VCD's, SVCD's etc. The CD Tray is quiet in operation, and the buttons on the machine & remote respond immediately, and are solid feeling. The remote is quite large, but that's not a complaint, because it's packed with functions, inc standby! (Some players in this price range lack this for some reason!).
Main important features..
LCD - Displays DVD/CD/VCD details
NTSC/PAL/Multi selector - playback NTSC on PAL & ViceVersa
Pan scan - smoother resolution on playback. Ideal for Plasma/LCD
RGB output - better output via scart
Resume - pick up where you left off, if you press stop
PBC - Playback controls when playing VCD, SVCD etc
Zoom - 1/4x 1/3x 1/2x 2x 3x 4x
16:9/4:3 selectable
various Video & Audio output selections
Coax Digital out
Composite out
Scart out
Comes with Scart Lead, Composite-A/V cables & Remote.
Summary, If you're new to DVD, or are buying another for yourself, or even a present. Whatever the reason, BUY THIS PLAYER!!!! At £35, can you go wrong? Trust me when I say the bigger brand names are ripping us off!! Buy this player, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gem!, 7 Jan 2004
By A Customer
Spurred on by other reviews I bought this player for my daughters bedroom, and what a gem it has turned out to be. Armed with the manual, a cool temper and several hours of quality time to set up (based on previous experience with our lounge setup), I had it connected to her phillips TV via the scart (included), and to her Hifi for stereo sound (cables also provided)in a record five minutes, including three minutes to reflect on why I wasn't experiencing the inevitable picture/audio setup problems! The instruction manual is actually quite useful for a change and provides comprehensive setup and operating instructions. Sound and picture quality are as good as my £150+ branded player and plays music CD's effectively. Graced with more features than you can remember what they do, zoom, shuttle, freeze frame etc (those things no one ever uses unless you are under 12) The build quality is very solid, the design slim and neat. I am amazed, and you will be too it looks, feels and operates like a much more expensive player. End result one very happy daughter. Happy viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY IMPRESSED.....DO NOT MISS THIS BARGAIN, 31 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I originally bought a Samsung 709 back in 1999/2000 and paid to have it chipped when I bought it. Total cost £270....
I am lucky enough to have a dedicated home cinema room with 5.1 Dolby Digital and an Epson TW1-H Projector. However the Samsung would not play DVD-R (Recordables). (I use Apple's wonderful iDVD to author DVDs of the kids etc).
So I looked at getting a cheap player to stick with the TV in the front room.
Checked out the reviews on Amazon and ordered the Yakumo.
It arrived two days later. WOW! Fantastic player, it was plumbed in and running within 10 minutes.
I discovered that by using a SCART to Component Lead, the picture quality on the Yakumo, is far better than my 709, so guess what?
Yep the Yakumo now acts as my Cinema DVD Player and the Samsung is relegated to the front room.
Here is how I would categorise the Yakumo:
Build Quality 9/10
Picture Quality 9/10
Remote Control Design 7/10 (Though not that bad!)
Value 10/10
Manual 8/10 (Menu settings could be explained better).
Only fly in the ointment is the fact that region 1 films on DVDs can be a little bit "jerky" due to the differing NSTC/PAL standard. I seem to remember there being some switches you can alter but haven't tried them yet. Tha does not mean they are unwatchable. far from it, But the Samsung just plays them a bit smoother.
If you are in the market for a mid-range (in terms of quality) DVD Player at a bargain basement price, then I would without any shadow of a doubt reccommend the Yakumo..
BTW I have tried it on DVD-Rs and it plays them with no problems, haven't tried DVD+R or Dual Layer DVD+Rs yet....

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 15 May 2004
Barry A (Newcastle upon Tyne United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Amazing player. I have tested A LOT of cheap DVD players and this wins hands down over ALL the supermarket cheapies and other Chinese built stuff in this super-budget price range. Why?:
1 Amazing build quality - as good as my Pioneer - better than the other cheapies
2 Responsive remote - its a little ungainly but not uncomfortable to hold and works very well.
3 Plays all recorded media - C-DRs, VCDs and especially ALL DVD-Rs - even the cheap ones which can freeze or cause navigational difficulties on the other cheap (and not so cheap) machines
4 TOTALLY silent in operation
5 Multi region out of the box
6 True NTSC output on American discs and a superb PAL conversion if your TV can't handle NTSC signal - keeps sync with sound etc, - all switchable 'on the fly' from the remote
7 Excellent picture quality - full RGB output if you want it
I am a VERY picky so and so and this cleans up on ALL the most important areas. I almost wish I had the need for another one!
Why are you still reading this?! - take it from someone who knows - and get one ordered NOW!! You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy a region 2 supermarket player, 13 July 2004
.. when you can have this superb multi-region player for the same price if not less? Plays whatever I've thrown at it. Scene skipping is lightning fast, as was Amazon's five day delivery (arrived in 2!).
Build quality is much better than your average budget player. Having a SCART lead, AV leads thrown in makes this deal better than anything else I've found either in-store or on the 'net. If the low price is making you think there must be a catch - there isn't. Just buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing.....Brilliant!!!, 4 Sep 2004
By A Customer
Well...I am in complete shock....I decided to get a DVD player and a widescreen Tv because the Star Wars trilogy is coming out on dvd as all I have is a PS2 and a portable tv...
I bought a Tv a few days ago and then had to look for the player.
I looked all over the internet and just kept coming back to this Yakumo XL2 as I liked what the reviews were saying...I have one region 1 disc and I had to get this "multi-region disc" that you put into the PS2 and had to go through this process of turning it on and off at various stages and after all that it dident sometimes work !
So I went for it..the Yakumo XL2..well...I tried a region 2 disc (Star Wars ep2 of course) to just see what the picture was like and all I can say is that it looked better than my friends setup and his player is three times more expensive!! I ordered a gold scart from Amazon so I am baffled as to how the picture quality will improve!!
So..in went the region 1 and off it went...I was just amazed, gobsmacked and that's saying something if that's coming from me!!
I am exited about the other possibilities of this very well made and designed dvd player...it really looks alot better than I could imagine and the remote fits really nice in your hand aswell, despite some people saying how big it is, its not that big atall...
I am off to watch some dvd's...this is truly an amazing piece of kit.....well done Amazon and an amazing price to boot aswell..how does Yakumo do it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Yakumo XL2 review, 30 Dec 2003
Mr. C. A. Price "CP" (Northwest UK) - See all my reviews
Ordered this item on Sunday evening and had it out of its box and in perfect working order by Tuesday morning.
DVD player is unbelievable value for money (even get the Scart lead AND batteries!).
Definately recommended - why pay more?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to buy another one., 17 Jun 2004
Michael Silk "miguel1948" (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
An absolute bargain. This incredibly cheap player is as well made as my other two -rather expensive it now seems:o(- players. Not only that; it plays everything I've put in it, first time of asking, and without errors like artefacts and freeze-ups.
I've got many DVD-R's that are unplayable in every machine I've tried-except this one. If it's round and shiny, I'm sure the Yakumo will play it.
The manual is simple, and the machine is a joy to operate.
I can't agree with other users' moans about the remote; it's excellent; easy to understand, and it works. It's not intended to be a Faberge egg.
For £35 you get everything you need except electricity, a disk and a TV. Well worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value DVD player!, 2 Nov 2004
JRP "jrp789" (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
I have a Philips DVD Recorder that struggles to play some computer burned DVD's that I have acquired recently. (These are not pirate discs but recordings from TV and camcorders of music concerts).
My primary reason for buying the Yakumo was the playback of these DVD-R and DVD+R discs. It plays them all with no problems whatsoever, with both PAL and NTSC encoded playback being fine. It will even play DVD+RW's recorded on the Phillips and left unfinalised. It also plays my region 1 discs with no problems.
When playing prerecorded DVD's, I personally can't really tell much difference between the picture quality of the £35 Yakumo or the £450 Phillips machine. The picture from the Yakumo is probably slightly brighter and harsher on the eye. Quality was excellent on my 36" Panasonic CRT TV which would highlight any deficiencies in the input source due to it's large screen size and pin sharp picture capabilities.
Bearing in mind that the Yakuomo comes complete with a scart lead, S-Video lead, Co-axial digital audio lead, phono audio leads and batteries for the remote, it really is astounding value.
The machine looks nice and solid, and the tray operates smoothly and feels substantial.
I would definately recommend this product for the playback of difficult discs, as a second machine, or even as your main DVD player if you are on a budget.
For the price, I really can't fault it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, looks great and a great price!, 10 Jan 2004
I have used lots of cheap electronics in the past, they usually do work but they look cheap and hardly have any features - this however is different.
Not only does it do everything it's supposed to do perfectly (I've played Region 1 and 2 DVDs on it, Audio CDs and CD-Rs, MP3's and PhotoCDs) it looks good and is well made too. DVD playback audio/video is perfect (as good as the best I've seen) and it can output in PAL and NTSC. The instructions are pretty good too.
The only problem I've noticed is the MP3 player sometimes mis-labelling tracks but this could've been just the CD I was using and its ability to play MP3s probably isn't important to you anyway (it's not to me :P) and doesn't happen often. The remote control could also be better looking but it's perfectly alright.
It's an absolutely amazing buy, comes with everything you need to play all DVDs (except the TV), player and all required cables. Buy it now before the price goes up, you won't regret it.