5.0 out of 5 stars It wears its sentimental heart firmly on its fetlock.
As the depression era kicks in, Americans were grasping for any sort of inspiration they could get, enter equine supreme, Seabiscuit. Considered broken down, too small and untrainable, Seabiscuit went on to become a bastion of great racehorse's, and in the process bringing solace to those closest to it.

Back in 2003 upon its initial release, critics were very...
Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by Spike Owen

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!
Having loved the book, I bought the DVD, thinking it would be even better. What a disappointment. The film is disjointed. The characters are not introduced to us and appear for too short a time. Even having read the book, I had trouble knowing who they all were. Unfortunately, I was so bored and frustrated I only lasted 40 minutes. Maybe the rest of the film is better...
Published 17 months ago by marie sampson

5.0 out of 5 stars It wears its sentimental heart firmly on its fetlock., 18 Nov. 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)

Back in 2003 upon its initial release, critics were very divided as to the merits of Seabiscuit as a picture. Some were concerned that this adaptation from Laura Hillenbrand's highly thought of novel missed too many crucial elements, others were merely touting the tired old charge of the film purely baiting Oscar {something that is levelled at every film in history about hope and second chances}, the more astute critics of the time however lauded it as the delightful and inspiring piece it is.

It would be churlish of me to not agree that Seabiscuit is laced with sentiment, rookie director Gary Ross barely wastes a chance to tug the heart strings and paint an evocative sequence, but if you have got it in you to accept this true story for its base emotional point, then it is one hell of a wonderful experience. Seabiscuit is not just about the equine beauty of the picture, it's also a fusion of three mens personal wavering, who for one reason or another need the horse for far more important crutches than those provided by financial gain, make no bones about it, Seabiscuit is a very human drama. Knowing how the picture will end never once becomes a problem, because the historical accuracy in the story makes one yearn for that grandiose ending, one to gladden the heart in the way it must have done to thousands upon thousands of Americans back in the day.

Ross wisely chooses to filter in as much realism as he possibly can, archive stills and narration serve as exceptional points of worth to the narrative structure. Then there is the first rate cast to fully form the emotional complexities that Seabiscuit provides. Jeff Bridges, Tobey Maguire {waif like}, Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Banks, top American jockey Gary Stevens and a splendidly jaunty William H Macy, all can rightly feel proud of their respective work on this picture. But it's with the thundering race sequences that Seabiscuit really triumphs best, magnificent beasts hurtling around the race track is excellently handled by Ross and his cinematographer, John Schwartzman, whilst a nod of approval must go to the sound departments efforts, it's definitely one to give your sub-woofer a work out.

Seabiscuit was nominated for seven Academy Awards, winning none, perhaps the Academy also felt like those critics who thought it was trying too hard for a Golden Statue? But now after the dust has settled some years later, it pays to revisit Seabiscuit and judge it on its own emotional terms, for it's a tremendously well crafted picture that is of course as inspirational as it most assuredly is tender, a fine fine picture indeed. 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel good movie., 2 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Seabiscuit [VHS] [2003] (VHS Tape)
You guys aren't the only one's you feel so divided over this film, I've met a whole bunch of people who hate it, and just as many who love it too. It's a feel good movie, and I suppose that's out of fashion these days. Shame because this is one of the best I've seen in a long time. The quality of the film making is up there with the likes of The Shawshank Redemption, not a single shot is wasted. The script takes its time fully developing the characters, which can be dull for those people who have short attention spans, but they stay with you long after the film is over because they are fully developed. For me this was the best film of 2003. And I don't even like horses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seabiscuit, 2 Jan. 2007
D Goods (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I thought this film was brilliant! I have been riding horses all my life and think this portrays a jockey lifestyle very well. I also think that the way the film describes the great depression was fantastic. this is a weepy film for someone like me who has been working with horses all their life and has owned their own. people who have no intrest in horses would have no understanding when us pony - lovers scream out "NOOOOOOOO!" as the vet is willing to put the horse down!

A truly excellant film that deserves every reccomendation it gets i thought this film was brilliantly portrayed and that the "mushy music" helped with the atmosphere and made it even more real.

A fantastic film that i would reccomend to anyone and everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those very very good films that you see every so often, 9 Jun. 2010
C. Clements - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I loved this film when I first saw it after it came out so I decided to pick it up off Amazon and watch it again. It's as good as I remembered it to be and even my girlfriend adored it. It's a powerful story of a 4 key players. Firstly the recluse trainer who communicates better with non compliant horses than humans. A charismatic owner who suffers a tragedy early on in the story. A jockey who has his own problems which are evident as the story progresses and finally and, most importantly, the horse himself. This is by and large a feel good film, but one done in a very gripping manner with its own share of disappointments along the way.

This is a film up there with fantastic films like Shawshanks Redemption and is very definitely worth buying- you'll love every minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seabiscuit, 12 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I am 14 and telling the truth when I say that my mum and dad had to drag me into the cinema by my hair to see this movie. I am into action movies and was too desperate to get to the room that was showing The Matrix Revolutions and see gorge Neo (shhh) than watch a load of soppy rubbish about a horse. Weird, because I came out from seeing Seabiscuit with a smile on my face! It was a really lovely film and funny too. I never cry at movies but it pulled my cold heart strings more than once! One point thought, Tobey Maguire, brilliant as he was, did not suit that hair style and colour. I have red hair myself and was really offensive. Just kidding! I someone told you this film was like The Horse Whisperer, the are wrong. This film isn't as intense and heavy as that. Sorry Matrix-fans, no action here but enjoy it for what Seabiscuit is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seabiscuit, 7 Jan. 2004
kimberley law (HOLMFIRTH, west yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film has to be the best I have ever watched, it is sure to bring a tear to your eye. The racehorse that is too small, the jockey that is too big, the trainer that is too old and the owner who is too dumb, will put your emotions into over drive. This is a moving film for anyone not just hrse lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare film which will enthral, 1 Dec. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I am not a horse-racing fan and have only been to one meeting; I cannot recall why we watched this film but it turned out to be a surprise, one of those rare occasions when something becomes much greater than itself, i.e. in this case, a horse. For thousands of people it became a living legend, an inspiration, an idea to take them out of everyday depression America, a social phenomenon as well as a rare creature, one of those David and Goliath stories. The film captures the excitement and the nationwide fascination very effectively and the editing is well done, e.g. the sequences showing the train journeys and the tour are great.

It is a feel-good film in the vein of "Born Free" or "Ring of Bright Water" and others like them.

It has not made me go horse-racing but I enjoyed the story. The film is also well-made with some larger than life characters and some, like the jockeys, who just seem larger.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars a true, uplifting and inspiring film, 25 May 2013
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is a wonderful film, based on the true story of the race horse Seabiscuit. I am not ashamed to say that I have watched this film at least 3 times and every time it has brought tears to my eyes - tears of joy for the determination of people, and horses, to overcome adversity and to recover from terrible sedbacks, and to go on to achieve the remarkable.

Set around the period of the depression in the 1920's the movie relates the story of how 3 people- Seabiscuit's owner, trainer and jockey, overcame their personal losses and tragedies in pursuit of their dreams.

Superbly recreated scenes which almost exactly match the original newsreel footage, and totally convincing acting from all the main players make this an entirely convincing and satisfying movie - one of my favourite films ever. You don't need to know anything much about horse racing to enjoy this film - try it - you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me want to be a jockey!, 21 Mar. 2004
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seabiscuit [VHS] [2003] (VHS Tape)
"Seabiscuit" is the kind of movie you weep through. You already know how it's going to end (the horse beats all the odds and wins the big race), and yet the journey is so touching and dramatic, you can't help yourself. It is a lovely film.
Jeff Bridges has his best acting role to date, as Seabiscuit's millionaire owner, Charles Howard, who devoted his life to his horse's career. Chris Cooper is the real star of the film. He plays Bill Smith, the out-of-work horse whisperer who discovers Seabiscuit's heart and trains him to win. Tobey Maguire plays Red, Seabiscuit's half-blind jockey, who overcomes a rough childhood and a shattered leg to bring the horse to his greatest victory.
The photography is absolutely breathtaking and Randy Newman's musical score is a winner. The direction was excellent; the Depression-era was faithfully reproduced in the costumes, sets, and especially the wonderful cars. If you like horses, people, or underdog-makes-good movies, I'm sure you'll enjoy "Seabiscuit."

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming movie, 28 Jan. 2004
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is a heart warming movie about a harshly treated thoroughbred Seabiscuit who meets the underprivileged man (Red Pollard - Toby Maguire). They both struggle against all odds and finally rise to fame on the racetrack.
This is a classic movie about the hardship and trials of the underdog and what's more it's gripping. I first saw this movie on a flight and initially was reading a book. I very quickly found myself wanting to know what was going on in the movie and was soon glued to the screen. It is a very emotional film as you follow the hardships of Red and the sorry looking Seabiscuit, but then follow the joy of their success, and fear as they race the famous race winner War Admiral. I really enjoyed this film, which is a bit surprising for me as my usual flick is something like Terminator 3. Despite this, I still found this movie exciting. It's a movie that I would appeal to those who like the 'underdog rise to fame' type movie. It's been nominated for oscars and I can see why. All in all, very enjoyable.

Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003]
Seabiscuit [DVD] [2003] by Gary Ross (DVD - 2004)