4.0 out of 5 stars Good and different to tallahasse, 28 Dec 2003
This review is from: We Shall All Be Healed (Audio CD)
These are my impressions of the album: refreshing, relaxing, well produced. The album is a lot more finely produced than anything before Tallashasse but though this sound is different, it's a very nice album. I wasn't sure what to make of it first but this is certainly not a regression, the lyrics are catchy and memorable, the acoustic is as nice as ever and John's voice is piercing in a very pleaseant way. I wouldn't call it amazing though, and some of the songs are slighty more generic imo, not in a glaring way but perhaps slighly more mainstream. This isnt negative, I like the way their sound is progressing. It's an album you could put on repeat for hours and still be captivated.
Keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars lo fi masterpiece, 3 Oct 2010
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: We Shall All Be Healed (Audio CD)
It probably goes without saying that I am a huge fan!

The Mountain Goats are a popular and hard working live band. But their recordings can vary dramatically in style and quality. Musically it does not get much simpler, a guitar and nasal singing voice, for the most part.

But this is a cracking selection of songs. Imagine coming home slightly drunk and hearing the best busker you ever heard in your life.

My favourite song here is Palmcorder Yajna, but there are a lot of songs on the album that I cannot imagine being without. Overall the album feels energetic and optimistic, even with its dark themes. If you like this, then I would particularly recommend All Hail West Texas, though the Mountain Goats music offers an array of riches.

We Shall All Be Healed
We Shall All Be Healed by Mountain Goats (Audio CD - 2004)