5.0 out of 5 stars This Left feels...Damn Good
For anybody whos ever seen Bon Jovi play live you'll know that they enjoy playing acoustically. They are, after all, the band that started the whole unplugged movement. With that in mind I was expecting this to be purely an acoustic record put out there for the hardcore fan. What a suprise I got.
Jon, Richie & the boys have took 12 of their greatest hits, overhauled,...
Published on 3 Nov. 2003 by Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars 12 classic hits complete re-written and re-recorded.
Published 12 months ago by G. M. Radcliffe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This Left feels...Damn Good, 3 Nov. 2003
Dave (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Left Feels Right [Limited Edition With Bonus DVD] (Audio CD)
Jon, Richie & the boys have took 12 of their greatest hits, overhauled, re-worked and re-recorded them all. Cross Road (their greatest hits package) this ain't.
Imagine Livin'On A Prayer sung with a female vocalist, Keep the Faith as a Jazz number, It's My Life as a haunting ballad, Always in double time, Bad Medicine as a blues bar song. With each old classic comes a new twist. Only Bed of Roses & I'll be There for You (sung as a duo with Richie Sambora) sound anything like the originals. The biggest left turn however comes with You Give Love a Bad Name-one of the biggest songs of the past two decades sounds like you would not believe.
Richie Samboras guitar work is phenomonal and there is some great work from Tico & Dave on drums & Keyboards. I think that this record could set a new precident for many bands and I think a few others may try this!
Wondering which way to go - Try Left

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the fans, 6 Nov. 2003
Phil Williams (St columb Cornwall) - See all my reviews
What could have been a boring greatest hits album with a couple of new songs chucked in for the die hard fans to buy, has been made into somthing quite unique.
Some of the songs work out brilliantly sung acoustically like livin' on a prayer,wanted dead or alive,and always. Others will take a little getting used to.
If your not a huge jovi fan but want to listen to some of their songs then buy crossroads.
If your a big Jovi fan and want to hear old hits played new ways then this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS LEFT FEELS SO RIGHT, 13 Nov. 2003
justine (Lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What an amazing album!!! okay we have all heard bon jovi belting out their rock anthems for years now, screaming vocals, heavy guitar and yes we love it, but we know what to expect when we listen to livin on a prayer, bad medicine etc. This left feels right is a clever masterpiece, nothing less and nothing more.
This is Bon jovi's greatest hits turned around, and what you get is a beautiful album of jazz, blues rock and the old familiar cowboy sound all mixed together. If you are expecting to put in this CD and jump around the room punching the air, then forget it, instead light some candles, turn up the volume and be prepared to go on a journey of utter brilliance and beauty. The first time i listened to this album i was blown away, being a die hard jovi fan i didn't even recongnise some of the songs until jon started singing, and what a husky mature voice he has on this record. This is such a mature, intense record that will remain top of my collection for many years to come. My verdict....Bon jovi's greatest hits with a TWIST....and what a TWIST in the right direction this is....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 31 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
Once again, Bon Jovi have done it. They have added another great album to their collection. But there is a difference with this album, it is Bon Jovi as you have never heard them before. This album is fundamentally a greatest hits, but the band have 're-built' each song, bringing a whole new meaning to every lyric.
Now, I understand that anybody who doesn't really follow Bon Jovi might think this album is a bit weird, but I love hearing the songs I know in a different way. From the instant I heard it, I thought the 'It's My Life' track on this album was fantastic. It really stands out, and is totally different to the original version.
It is rumoured that the band won't be doing too much over the next 18 months, they are going to take a step back. So this may be the only bit of new material from the band for a while, and I am sure it is enough to keep other big fans happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave Effort, 13 Nov. 2003
Mr. S. Colbert "seannewty" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
Having been a fan of the band going back to the mid 80s when they began to sell in big numbers, i had lost alittle interest inwhat they were up to now. I decided to buy this album on a whim, and was glad i did. The arrangements keys and timings havs been changed to give very different slants on familiar songs, some of the timings have changed to a degree that you will find you cant sing the lyrics to songs you know well !
Its clear from the sound just how tight the band are as musicians and this is a brave stab at something very different, not something you can say about many bands these days.
It does have a kind of grown up feel but then again i suppose they are.
Get it and learn the lyrics all over again !!

3.0 out of 5 stars 12 classic hits complete re-written and re-recorded., 8 Mar. 2014
Although many Bon Jovi fans don't like this album, I personally think its the freshest they sounded during the 2000s. The band were able to experiment and I think it works. Taking 12 of their hits from 1986-2002 the re-arranged the songs by stripping them to their core elements and re-building it. It's certainly an interesting listen, but don't expect to hear the typical arena rock sound your useful. This record is best played in a relaxed atmophere with incense sticks burning and the light down.

My personal highlights are Wanted Dead Or Alive which features a nod to Led Zepplin's Kashmir, whilst rockers, Keep The Faith, Everyday, It's My Life and Born To Be My Baby become heart wrenching ballads. But of all the songs that really takes on a left turn is Livin' On A Prayer which become a duet with Jon and Olivia D'Abo. Seeing as this song is about two characters, Tommy and Gina it seems fitting to have a male and female vocalist playing those parts. It's also the first ever duet on Bon Jovi album.

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!, 9 Nov. 2003
I was very doubtful about the quality of this album, even though I have been a Bon Jovi fan for almost 15 years. In fact, I wasn't planning to buy ir at all! But I am glad that I did.
Far from being an unplugged or the old songs re-released this is a masterpiece.
It's one of the best albums out at the moment. Thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars This left feels right!, 2 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This album appears a little strange at first. They have taken the best songs from their albums and re-recoreded them in a different way. It takes a little getting used to, when you know the songs so well it is slighlty odd to hear them sung differently, especially if you like to sing along!! however i think it is great! well worth a listen, especially if your a huge Bon Jovi fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, utterly amazing..., 11 Nov. 2003
Ok, I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this album, but now I have... I AM SO HAPPY!
I am not a huge Bon Jovi fan, but I guess I'm a practising one ;) I'm starting to like this group big time, and this album totally portrays their amazing quality well and to the max! OK, what am I talking about? This album has got me nuts it's so good.
My only advice? If you're having second thoughts about this, narrow it down to one though: get out and buy it before it's too late. I'm not one to just go out and buy a random album but this was SO worth it. This album just has "Pure Quality" slammed all over it like a stamp. Amazing.
You are guaranteed to enjoy this baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets Twist Again!, 3 Nov. 2003
The new bonjovi album, at 1st glance, looks like richie and crew are re-releasing their old hits. BUT...they aren't. The older songs e.g. "wanted dead or alive" and "keep the faith" have been totally revamped (some better than others). The "twist" part of the title is absolutely correct. Bon Jovi have taken it in a completely new direction, slow songs down, added different drum beats etc. Richie has tried extremely hartd with the guitar on this album, working with new instrumentrs etc. Amust for any true Bon Jovi fan. Superbly done guys.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›