5.0 out of 5 stars Leave your preconceptions at the door
Until laying my hands on "This Left Feels Right", I had only one Bon Jovi album...that being "Crossroads", and even that had sat in a shoebox for several years. I bought the acoustic (not really, however) CD out of sheer curiosity, despite the rather thrashing reviews of this album on Amazon.com.
Have you ever wished Bon Jovi played just for you and ONLY you (not a...
Published on 2 Mar. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't feel all that right to me
I would like to say first that I am a HUGE Bon Jovi fan, and will buy any of their future releases. When I first discovered rock music, these guys were my favourite band for several years. I don't like to give any of their albums a three star rating, but I just had to in this case.

'This Left Feels Right' is a rather pointless release, and is completely...
Published on 7 Jun. 2008 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Leave your preconceptions at the door, 2 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
Have you ever wished Bon Jovi played just for you and ONLY you (not a zillion-headed crowd)? This CD is as close as you will probably get to having BJ play for you (unless, of course, you're personally associated with the band). The sound and the songs on the CD are intimate, personal...almost as if they are playing in your room, with you being the sole audience.
First of all, the new, stripped-down versions of the songs most of the fans know by heart from first "yeah" to last "whoa" bring out the substance of these songs...you can REALLY hear all lyrics (some of which are slightly altered from their original versions). The very introspective "It's My Life" is a true gem...
Second, the arrangement of, say, "Bad Medicine" or "Wanted Dead or Alive" let Richie's guitar skill shine through, giving these songs a funky/blues sound. Even such ballads as the "Bed of Roses" or "Always", having been stripped of the original pathos, have not lost a single pinch of emotion.
Bon Jovi have yet again proved their versatiliy and longevity. There's more to their songs than screeching guitars, catchy tunes. It's hard not to appreciate this grossly underrated album. It's definitely a keeper. I'd take it on a deserted island with me, just to motivate me to survive. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Words - Pure Genius, 27 Jun. 2008
Mrs. S. L. Andrews "Sarah" (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
I am a massive Bon Jovi fan and I have been trying to get my hands on this album for a while now. When it arrived on Thursday I was excited but pretty nervous about listening to it for the first time.

Trust me when I say that I had nothing to be worried about. This album is pure genius and there is no other way to describe it. By breaking the songs down and taking them back to their raw roots - Jon,Richie, David & Tico have been able to showcase just how good they are at what they do.

You can hear how special and adaptable Jons voice is and this album just confirms the fact that Richie Sambora is the greatest guitarist in the world (in my opinion that is). "You Give Love a Bad Name" gets a bluesy revamp, "Living on a Prayer" is stripped back to basics and "Its My Life" becomes an introspective piano piece (my favourite song on the whole album)

If you are a true Bon Jovi fan - get this album - you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars What If They Had These As The Originals ?, 25 Dec. 2008
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
Bon Jovi is a Rockstar. When this album came out, I thought it was either a compilation album without new tracks, live album, acoustic live album, re-mixed or re-mastered. Never cared to listen. Now when I listened to it, I laughed. Not in criticism. But as in, when you see your good friend after a very long time and he/she looks totally different gaining or losing a lot of weight. .... ???

See, all the tracks here are their hit ones. These are like their Trademarks. My question is - If Bon Jovi had these tracks released originally as they are in this album, where would they be today ? Every single song is re-arranged and performed differently. If you knew the different version of 'Living On A Prayer'. No screaming guitar of Richie and no screaming voice of Jon. Probably not to recommend to someone for the first time or to introduce Bon Jovi. Well ! some may like. I know all the originals in this album and enjoyed listening to them again differently. I enjoyed every single track a lot.

Definitely, I won't call this crap or nonsensical. It's simply brilliant. On my Christmas holiday, I'm mostly listening to this album. I'm a long term fan and weighing against their other albums, I'd give more than 5 stars to their 'Slippery When Wet', 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith'. 5 stars to '7800° Fahrenheit', 'These Days', 'Bounce' and 'This Left Feels Right'. 4 stars to 'Bon Jovi'. And 3 or 4 to 'Crush', 'Have A Nice Day' and 'Lost Highway'. Try it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't feel all that right to me, 7 Jun. 2008
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)

'This Left Feels Right' is a rather pointless release, and is completely unmemorable. An acoustic album consisting of reworkings of their biggest hits might seem like a good idea on paper, but it isn't so good when put into practice. Jon is almost whispering instead of singing on the cheesy 'You Give Love A Bad Name', 'Livin' On A Prayer' is pretty bad, and 'Keep The Faith' sounds like a band attempting a cheesy cover of a great rock anthem. However, I do like a few tracks, 'Born To Be My Baby' sounds okay as a slower song, but the original remains far superior.

'This Left Feels Right' is worth the one listen, but should only bought if you already own everything else. No trademark riffs, catchy keyboard introductions or fantastic choruses can be found on any of these songs.

One for the completist only!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reworkings of classic tracks, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
This album appears to have generated some polarised reviews, and I think it's important to know the reviewers background a little with a controversial item like this.

I grew up listening to Bon Jovi in the "classic" era, and loved them. I've seen them live several times. I thought they went off a bit from Crush onwards, and I haven't bought the latest albums (yet ... maybe I'll get around to it some day ...)

This one is simply brilliant!

It's not "elevator music" as I've seen it described in another review. It's not a choice between these versions or the originals (which are, and forever will be, classics!) - you're allowed to like both. It probably just depends on what mood you're in.

My tastes have changed and mutated over the years. I think I listen to a wider range of music now than I did in the 80s and early 90s. If I feel like belting out classic rock at the top of my voice, I'll put on "Slippery". If I'm feeling a little more mellow, then this is a perfect album.

It's not just acoustic versions of the old songs, a la "Unplugged". It really is a reworking, and some of them get a major makeover, so be prepared for that. But be prepared also to love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi grown up, 20 April 2010
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
They are older. so are we. Bon Jovi for grown ups.

and if Livin on a prayer doesn't make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, you are probably dead.

4.0 out of 5 stars More hits than misses, 18 Jan. 2004
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
I have to say that with the previous two Bon Jovi offerings (Crush, Bounce), I wondered if the guys had lost their way. Whilst not being totally stale, they did lack the sort of musical progression obvious between, say Slippery and Faith, and again between Faith and These Days, albums which explore really different facets of the boys songwrititng.
Anyway, back to the topic. Don't buy this album if you have heard any of the songs from Crush or Everyday on the radio, and want some more Bon Jovi hard rock. Neither is this album for a fan of acoustic versions. These are not acoustic versions by any stretch of the imagination. This album is a collection of true reworkings of classic Bon Jovi numbers.
You've really got to respect the guys for doing this, it's incredibly brave. The first time I listened to this album, I deliberately didn't read the track listening, and i only guessed a handful of tracks before the lyric, they're that different. They are not only different styles, but in some cases the melodies and chords (and in a few minor ways, lyrics) have been radically changed.
This is however not a bad thing. Some of the meanings have changed as a result, as spoken about by Jon and Richie in the booklet with the cd. For me, the stand out track is 'It's My Life', simply beautiful, and so much better than the original.
However, it is not without its faults. 'Livin' On A Prayer', for example, I have to skip past. I cannot stand what they have done to it, and it pains me to hear such a great song reduced to this dribble (needed stronger word).
However, this album hits FAR more times than it misses, and in my humble opinion it is worth buying for 'It's My Life' alone. So if you love Bon Jovi, and their songwriting talent, buy it now. Kudos must go to Pat Leonard, producing genius.
By the way, if you can get it, get the special edition with DVD. These versions show what Prayer could have been like!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Left Feels Right, 24 Aug. 2005
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
I've read too many negative reviews about this album, so I thought I was do it justice. I thought that this album was great, being a huge Bon Jovi fan, perhaps biased. Wasn't too keen the first time I heard it, different to what I expected. But from the second time on, it is still the only cd I have on in my car.
I think they're great, I think this is great. Enough said!

2.0 out of 5 stars A largely pointless exercise, 18 Jun. 2007
M. Simper "musicalspanner" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
In 1994 Bon Jovi reworked 'Living on a Prayer' as 'Prayer 94' which found its way onto the 'Always' single. It was a brilliant re-work, still powerful, still catchy, but very different. 9 years later they've tried the same process with their greatest hits.

What they've done here is basically 'blandify' their back catalogue. A few tracks are OK ('Lay Your Hands on Me', 'Wanted Dead or Alive') but ultimately ALL of the originals are better which simply makes this album a pointless affair. Most will listen once, say 'Hmm, that's different' and then put on Crossroad...

4.0 out of 5 stars Tunes with a Twist, 13 Nov. 2003
This review is from: This Left Feels Right (Audio CD)
When I bought this album I was already prepared for a surprise having read a number of reviews pre-purchase which said that this was no ordinary best of, and yet on first listening I was still knocked for six. The tagline for the album is "The Greatest Hits....With a Twist" and this is most definitely no exaggeration. There are some fantastic reworkings of original classics like Born to Be My Baby, Always, Wanted...... but the standout songs for me were without a doubt the beautifully soulful ballad It's My Life and the American bar blues style You Give Love a Bad Name. To summarise, Bon Jovi's more recent fans (those who started listening to them after Crush, I mean you....) may see this as an odd music venture but will no doubt appreciate a few of the songs - but those fans like myself who have been with them since the beginning will instantly find a smile cross their face when they first hear this. They were at the forefront of the MTV Unplugged movement, and I would be willing to bet they've just put their name to the start of the next great musical tangent. Great stuff, and well worth a listen!

This Left Feels Right
This Left Feels Right by Bon Jovi (Audio CD - 2003)