Format: Audio CDChange

on 5 December 2003
Doris recorded this album in just three days, June 16, 17,and 18 of 1964. Four songs each day and with stunning perfection. The ads for the album in Billboard magazine from that year, said.."Doris Day has NEVER been in better voice" and the ads were a full page. (Send Me No Flowers was in release that year, her final picture with Rock Hudson and is reflected in her hair style in the cover photo for this Christmas album)
This is a release of the album in it's entirety with one very noteable bonus track. A project for a Doris Day Christmas Album in 1959 was under way with one of Doris' favorite arrangers, Mr. Frank DeVol. During this time, They were recording the studio tracks for "Pillow Talk". At the end of the Pillow Talk session, they had some time left over and so decided to record "Deck the Hall..." For some reason, perhaps the huge success of "Pillow Talk" and other commitments, the Christmas project was dropped. No one seems to know including Doris. But because she was soooo busy, DeVol went ahead and layed down the music tracks for at least nine Xmas songs. She never went in to record them.
Now, in 1994, Columbia Legacy (Mr. Jerry Shulman) released "Doris Day Personal Christmas Collection". Upon hearing it I was shocked to discover that he substituted "Silver Bells" for one she recorded in 1950 and "The Christmas Song...Chestnuts Roasting..) for one recorded in 1946! Not including these two songs recorded in 1964 for the Christmas Album was a mistake! They are two of the most stunning songs recorded in 1964 and should have been included with the older ones at the end of the CD for continuity of sound purposes in my opinion. It appears that the "Collection" was put together to simply give an example of each title Doris recorded for Christmas. I believe that they wanted to bring to light the old forgotten Xmas songs that Doris recorded. Also, it appears that Mr. Shulman was aware of the nine DeVol Christmas traks sans Doris' vocal, but unaware at the time (1994) of the finished "Deck the Hall" song or surely he would have included it.
Did you know that Doris Day owned her own record label? It was called Arwin. The only songs she released on the label herself were "David's Psalm" b/w "Let No Walls Divide". Other artists on the label were Jan and Arnie(Dean), Chordetts, and others.
For these reasons I suggest this release over the "Personal Christmas Collection". One should have both tho, if you really want to own all of the christmas music Doris Day recorded.
I've been after Doris to go in and finish the unfinished 9 Christmas songs from 1959....after all, the music is there. I think Doris is finished recording and that will not happen. Perhaps if we knew of these tracks in 1985 when she was recording again for her Cable TV show we would have had success in getting her to finish these. What a gem of a recording that would be!!
Who knows? Maybe somewhere someone will uncover some more vocals Doris did...........we can only hope.
If I could be aforded one request........It would be that Doris Day finish her 1959 Christmas Album.
This is a TOP KNOTCH CD!!
on 30 December 2005
I have certainly enjoyed this album. Doris Day has a fantastic sound when she sings. She is always on key and follows the mood of the song right to the listening ear. I esp. enjoyed "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm". Her voice is so warm and it even seemed as if she were smiling when she sang this song. I enjoyed "Silver Bells", Be A Child At Christmas Time", and "Let No Walls Devide". I should just say I enjoyed them all. The sound is great being that they were recorded so many years ago. If you are a Doris Day Fan you most definately should add this album in you collection. It is Doris Day people, at her usual best. You cannot go wrong.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Doris could have recorded a rousing version of Jingle bells, Rudolph or some of the other up-tempo Christmas classics but avoided all those and opted instead for a collection of romantic Christmas songs, some famous and some not. Even Winter wonderland, a song that can be taken at a gallop, is sung by Doris with restraint and blends in well with the other tracks here.
For me, the highlights are the obscure songs - Snowfall, Toyland, Be a child at Christmas time, Christmas present and Christmas waltz - but Doris sings the classics superbly, as you would expect.
This is not a party album but is ideal for the quieter moments during the festive season.
on 29 December 2007
I live in Australia, and have just found through browsing websites the Doris Day christmas album on cd, and am so overcome with emotion as I feel I have just found the most amazing treasure. I have the original recorded album, which was handed down to me from my Father, I am 43 years old and the album is still in perfect condition, even though it is lovingly pulled out every christmas and played non stop while I do my christmas cooking....I place this album at the top of the list of must have christmas music to own....Doris Day has the most smoothest voices and there has never been another singer who can match her voice or make a song feel so real it brings you out in goosebumps....
on 8 November 2003
Another quality studio album from Doris! This one recorded late in her signing to Columbia, saw Dudley C. 'Pete' King drafted in to conduct - a man whose previous credits had included collaborations with Fred Astaire, Vic Damone, Jack Jones, Julie London and Dean Martin. Under his safe and watchful eye sessions were completed on June 18th, after a mere two days of recording at the legendary Columbia Records studio in Hollywood. Once released on September 14th 1964, the LP went on to peak at #92 on America's Billboard chart.
The CD issue of this delightful album, featuring the original sleeve artwork, is now enhanced with some bonus tracks. These are the wintry I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm taken from Doris's "Hooray For Hollywood" LP, as well as two rarities previously unreleased in the UK: Deck The Hall With Boughs Of Holly, the only surviving track from her unfinished 1959 Christmas album and Let No Walls Divide, a biblical ballad specially commissioned in 1961 for an American compilation.
The sound, the feeling and the warm atmosphere conveyed throughout "The Doris Day Christmas Album" still to this day truly capture the heart and spirit of the season!!
on 12 September 2012
c'est un CD que j'ai hésité à acheter car c'est plutôt l'époque de ma mère. et puis je l'ai toutefois acheté et sans regrets car c'est une musique que l'on peut écouter à tous moments quoique l'on fasse. il est très apaisant et n'a rien à voir avec les cd de noël traditionnel vraiment j'apprécie beaucoup
on 15 February 2009
Excellent value for money even if it had been twice the price. Doris is as usual fantastic.
on 11 November 2015
There are many Christmas albums around at this time of year but this, The Doris Day Christmas Album released in September 1964. Is one I return to time and time again, I get it out every Christmas. All of the songs have that wonderful sunny Doris Day magic and sparkle.

Doris is always on key and follows the mood of the songs perfectly, her voice is so soothing, warm and reassuring it even seems as if she is smiling, she brings great empathy and romance to the songs. My particular favourite is ‘Toyland’ but that said, I like them all. Doris takes you on a journey, a journey to all the wonderful places and feelings you want to have and experience at Christmas. Wonderful timeless magic.
on 2 February 2013
The Doris Day Christmas Album is one of the best ''Christmas'' CD issues of former LP's,which also includes bonus

tracks. Of particular note is the beautiful Christmas Waltz.
on 30 November 2011
Well whadaya know!
I ordered this from another place,waited...............and waited....
same shipping.............and still waited......
Then saw it on Amazon.same price free shipping.Ordered it before I could say
Santa got ca....It was here.! Ta Da !
Plonked it in my Bose.....ah ! she's lovely...singing away like
like a lttle Christmas Robin,all chirpy like...
Love it...Drinking a nice cup of coffee and dreamin of a very fattening
Mince pie !
Not straying from Amazon any more,back for keeps.!
Cheap at the price too.In town they wanted £ 7.99.