4.0 out of 5 stars Underated And Amusing, Not Hopeless And Dire
When 'Hope Springs' came out at the cinema it was given pretty harsh reviews. Critics claimed the film was a dire rehash of other romantic comedies with leads that were obviously second choices for their parts. I'd like to dispute this.
The setup is as follows. Colin Firth plays a man trying to escape from his past and his feelings for his old girlfriend Minnie...
Published on 11 Dec. 2003 by sydneyemms

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet
This is a sweet comedy that is unlikely to make you laugh out loud but should make you smile.
The three sides of the love triangle Firth/Graham/Driver are well cast, with Driver being especially good as the ex (sort of) fiancee who just refuses to let go of the ever lovely Firth who, having fled to the States to try and get over the break up of his engagement, finds...
Published on 24 May 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars I rated this film highly coz it make me laughed out loud, 15 July 2005
Leila (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I do really like this film not only because Colin Firth is on it but also I find this really funny. It make me laughed so much on the scene when Colin Firth drop his trouser and he is not suppose to be wearing underpants! The film is very down to earth romantic comedy and it lifted my spirit when I finished watching this,that's why I'll recommend this to anyone to watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Having seen Colin Firth in the "amusing" register in "The Importance ofBeing Earnest" and having found him really good in it, I thought I wouldreally have a good time when I bought this DVD. But I ended up being boredand annoyed. The funny element of the entire beginning of the movie isbased on Firth's character despair at having lost his beloved. He bangshis head against windows and sobs... I did not find it very believable butit was amusing. Having his broken heart in mind, the rest of his behaviourtowards the new girl and his long-term girlfriend is totally illogical. Ifhe was so heart-broken, would he consider sleeping with this other girlwhom he does not even seem to like... even if she looked gorgeous naked?We find out he had been so long with his girlfriend that they had becomean institution. If he was in so much pain when she announced herengagement, wouldn't he (if not confronted her) even consider herexplanation but at least feel tenderness and love for her, instead ofhaving arguments? I could tell where all the funny moments of the moviewere but could not bring myself to smile. Somehow the lines were deliveredbut they did not work for me. Very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a story line - amazed that Colin Firth appeared in something so mediocre, 24 Aug. 2014
C. A. Osborne "christine - book worm" (Northants England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
If you are desperate for something to watch it is ok. Otherwise don't bother. Not much of a story line - amazed that Colin Firth appeared in something so mediocre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel good movie!, 24 April 2015
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this little unknown gem! Great cast. Nice characters. Good acting. Good story! All in a great feel good movie. Fine movie! J Counsell.

4.0 out of 5 stars great entertainment, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Excellent story line and well performed. Good entertainment. I really like Colin Firth and his adaptability. Easy watching with a twist in the tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope Springs DVD Colin Firth, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Not very impressed at all, I guess I just made the wrong choice of actors, I didn't realize there were several different versions!

3.0 out of 5 stars I should not have ordered it- a bit dissappointing, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
It is o.k., but not good enough for us to see more than half of it. We have passed it on to our younger kids 40 something,,,,

3.0 out of 5 stars A Subjective Review, 11 Jun. 2013
K. Shaw "marlin" (cornwall GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is far from being the best of Colin Firth however, it's a pretty innocuous piece of frivolity which is unlikely to offend

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
great film colin firth plays a great role its funny, and a good story behind it well worth buying whether a firth fan or not

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope Springs dvd, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Bought this as a birthday gift for a Colin Firth fan & she enjoyed it very much indeed. Arrived promptly after ordering

Hope Springs [DVD] [2003]
Hope Springs [DVD] [2003] by Mark Herman (DVD - 2004)