on 12 April 2005
I went and saw 'Jerry Springer The Opera' in the West End last August and I had to have the soundtrack! I am a massive musicals fan, and as my usual favourites are classics like Les Miserables and Miss Saigon, I did not expect to adore this show as much as I did.
This is not a musical you should see or a soundtrack you should listen to if you're easily offended, as the content is highly controversial, however, if you have a sense of humour and are willing to take it for what it is - pure comedy, then you will enjoy this!
It is nothing short of genius how the content of this musical can be performed musically as an opera. I left the theatre with the biggest smile on my face which didn't go for hours afterwards, the soundtrack still has the same effect - it has me laughing to myself when I am either listening to it on my ipod, or just thinking about the lyrics!
You don't have to have seen the musical to understand what the soundtrack is all about - it is all there! So if you fancy laughing until you cry, you like musicals and you have an open mind, then this is a soundtrack you should definately hear!
on 6 March 2010
An absolutely brilliant opera, but the CD didn't live to my expectations. Especially if you know the music, and even comparing to the DVD there is a huge difference. A lot of the pieces/songs on the CD seem very rushed, and it at times quite distracting. This makes some parts less enjoyable because you can hear singers struggling to keep up with the music, and sometimes the comedy which often relies on timing is lost due to the fast music. The accompanying musics instrumentation is at times bleak and sparse. Finally my biggest problem was Michael Brandon who plays Jerry in this version. Again very fast and rushed with no emotion or comical timing at all. It's like he's just reading the words of a sheet.

These aside, certainly if you're new to the opera and you have nothing to compare it to then it's a definite buy! Just a warning that some who know it well, or possibly people with knowledge of music and drama may be disappointed.
on 25 November 2003
In the first week of November we saw the show in London, and had enormous fun. Operatic arias will never be the same once you've heard this superb cast use them to hurl verbal abuse at each other. As soon as I found there would be a CD I ordered it. It'll be a way to re-awaken the energy we felt when we saw the show itself. Do go see the show before picking up the CD.
on 21 October 2004
We just returned from London having seen Jerry Springer the Opera and all I can say is what a fun night! I wasn't sure what to expect, even tho I have had the guilty pleasure of tuning in from time to time. Basically, you get all the enjoyment and NONE of the editing. Warning to those easily offended, do not see the show nor listen to the soundtrack. However, to those with a sense of humor and the ability to laugh at (yourself included) and with others, you are in for a treat. Performing the show as an authentic opera is very novel and the actors are all up to the challenge. The story is funny, raunchy and actually thought provoking at times. If you are in London, by all means see it. In the meantime, take a listen, use your imagination and enjoy!
on 30 October 2003
If you see this show, you'll be running out of the Cambridge Theatre shouting JERRY JERRY, JERRY JERRY! This is the best show to grace the West End in a long time. Although the double CD of the live recording isn't out until 10th November, pre-order it now. I wouldn't advise you buy it before you've seen the show, as it could very easily offend! I saw the show a number of times when it had it's long and extended run at the National, and each time I was so excited when I came out of the theatre I just couldn't stop laughing and singing. The cast is spellbounding, led by Dempsey and Makepeace actor Michael Brandon (who doesn't sing), and a whole host of very talented actors and singers. I can't write a review on Jerry Springer - The Opera without mentioning some of those very talented people. In particular the fantastic Valda Aviks, who plays each character with such comic timing and gusto. David Bedella makes a great warm-up man and 2nd act Satan. Alison Jiear (Shawntel) is one of the best musical theatre actresses i've seen in a very long time, singing with such power and emotion. Another performance to mention is Benjamin Lake, who's voice is just beautiful. His song in the second act; 'It aint easy being me' makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, it's that good! Don't think I'm picking out certain cast members, as the whole company, including every chorus member are just sensational. The music is strangly beautiful and played by the great orchestra, led by Martin Lowe. I have listened to the recording, as a friend works for Sony, and it's a very well made soundtrack. The live atmosphere takes you back to the theatre and you actually feel as if the company are performing in your living room. PRE-ORDER THIS DOUBLE CD, ITS THE BEST MUSICAL OF THE YEAR!!!
on 17 November 2003
I am currently a member of the original National Theatre and West End cast of JERRY SPRINGER - THE OPERA, and I have to say that it is such a brilliant show. Richard Thomas' music and the libretto(words) by Richard and co-writer Stewart Lee are superbly funny, as all the stellar reviews will tell you.
If you can't make it to see the show in London, at the Cambridge Theatre, then at least get this album and have a good listen. I can't imagine hearing it for the first time because I know the show so well now, but listening to it at home is wonderful & very special because I get to hear things that I can't hear on stage when I am singing my own part!
The words taken out of context don't tell the whole story...the words are, yes, potentially offensive, but as we have discovered in performing the show over 100 times now, the audiences relish the words and music alike! You can't separate one from the other.
The performances are all 100% fantastic. This show is so well-cast, and this recording proves it!
If we want to have quality live theatre to go to in the future, we must invest in quality live theatre now...a clever, witty & truly hilarious show like JERRY SPRINGER - THE OPERA doesn't grow on trees! Support the arts!
on 28 January 2012
If ever there was a mix of wonderful & awful this is it. Some of the tracks are outstanding and some are just crude & rude. However it is overall a great buy - the track 'Take Care' is now one of my favourite pieces of music. (and a few other tracks I avoid) How mixed !
on 13 February 2013
The performances in the DVD are much better, so a better alternative would be to buy the DVD and rip the audio from there. Aside from that, crass humor was never better than this.
on 29 April 2004
I bought this soundtrack eager to find out how on earth this concept couldwork, I was shocked, amazed and entertained by this rollercoaster of aride. So much so I went to see the show in the west end this week and boyis it good, you need not to shock easy but it is the best thing in London. Buy it now you wont regret it
on 8 June 2004
I have seen Jerry Springer - The Opera twice at the cambridge theatre, and both times it was utterly amazing... this is most deffinately the best soundtrack i own not only because it has the whole show included on its two disks, but also it was almost exactly the same as the show itself, which is more than i can say for other soundtracks...
If you haven't seen the show its still well worth getting the CD as you get the gist of the story and it is hillarious. Im definately going to see the show again...