4.0 out of 5 stars The music fades out..., 17 Oct 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rahxephon - Vol. 7 [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is the last volume in this excellent series and contains the final three episodes (24 - 26 inclusive).

The series ends as it always went on - impressive but baffling! As the final credits rolled I felt as though I'd watched the end of a quality series and I got the general gist of what was happening, but I have to admit that I will have to re-watch the series to catch everything I missed first time around.

This volume starts with lots of inner soul searching among the characters and there are answers to some of the dynastic questions we've had whilst watching the series - we now know who is related to who, and how. The enigmatic Quon emerges from the background and instead of a quirky spiritual babe she establishes herself as one of the strongest characters in this volume, and certainly one of the key players.

There are revelations and unexpected departures from this mortal coil, all of which compound the emotional side of this series. Speaking of emotional - expect a couple of great moments between Ayato and Haruka, one of which occurs *after* the final credits and feels like a solid tie-in to the whole series - so make sure you let the disk play through to the end.

In a nutshell: With so many ideas getting tangled up in 26 episodes, it was always going to be a challenge to neatly close the story and make sense of everything - so did the makers of Rahxephon achieve it? Well, nearly. But that's not a criticism of the series, it's great that it didn't dumb down, it would have had wider appeal if it had - but it wouldn't have stood out so much. This proves that anime isn't just for kids and this is a series which requires at least another viewing to 'tune' into exactly what is happening. I'm looking forward to revisiting this again from the start, and even though I'll know how it all ends it won't spoil a thing, if anything I'll appreciate it more as some of the holes will be filled in and I'll know what to look for, I'll be receptive to references which meant nothing first time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh one who will tune the world..., 22 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rahxephon - Vol. 7 [DVD] (DVD)
As a great symphony is composed, so also must the world. All that which has been sown in the Mu's and the Xephon's path now comes together to decide the fate of the world. Will it be tuned to the Mu's ideals, or will humanity be able to hold on to their only home.
Amidst all the confusion, great deeds are performed at a terrible cost, and all the while the fate of the world hangs over the head of the Rahxephon and its pilot. As Ayto struggles to find himself amidst the turmoil, a voice calls out to him.
This is merely the begining of history. Worlds shall change as all is born anew in the seventh volume of Rahxephon.

Rahxephon - Vol. 7 [DVD]
Rahxephon - Vol. 7 [DVD] by Yasuhiro Irie (DVD - 2004)