on 29 January 2010
This card can be detected and driven by Suse 910.0+ and Ubuntuu 9.04 et al. Superb piece of kit.
on 29 September 2014
I bought this for my parents who had just had Virgin Media 150meg installed. A standard 100meg card does not allow the full speed of Virgin Media 150mb for obvious reasons. I initially bought a TP-Link TG-3468 which caused system instability and periodic freezes on skype every 5 seconds.
I then decided to buy this StarTech Gigabit card due to the good reviews. It works perfectly, was easy to install and gives my parents 156Meg download speed and 12meg upload speed. Skype also works perfectly, I wish I had bought this network card for them in the first place!
Edit: Oh and forgot to mention the card connects at the full 1 Gig no problem.
on 18 April 2014
I installed this as a replacement for my failing onboard network adapter that consistently failed when asked to transfer large files to my NAS box using gigabit ethernet. Since installing I have had no issues with backups to the NAS box.

Installation was a piece of cake. Just disabled the onboard LAN card and powered down. Installed this one and Windows 7 Professional found the card and installed the drivers. Once I set the IP address to my preferred static IP everything worked as expected.

Just bought a second one as a "shelf spare" to keep just in case.
on 12 October 2012
I use XP SP3 a P4 pc. Fitted the card in minutes and loaded the sofeware. Worked straight away. Delivery was also fast with the card well packaged.
on 27 January 2014
easy installation , no problems with windows 7 ,it was automatically detected upon start up..and the black pcb looks good in my build...
on 28 October 2015
This review is for the following NIC (Amazon seems to bundle reviews for different products by the same manufacturer together):

I bought two of these to install in a box running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

I purchased two so that I could set them up as a NIC Team.

My little network consists of the server (where the cards are now installed), and two PC's running Windows 10 Pro connected to the local domain.

Simply amazing what a difference they make to the data speeds over the LAN, and rather unexpectedly, all of the PCs in the local domain seem to be getting things from the Internet much faster too.

I also did not have to install any drivers. Simply opened the box, installed the cards, plugged each one into the router with Cat6 cables, then set up the NIC team using the Windows Server Dashboard.

There was a small amount of reconfiguration required for the static IP addresses, but the whole process took less than 20 minutes, and I have now got 2Gbit speeds over the local network.

I don't think the actual connection to the internet is faster in real terms (still 16MB down and 1MB up), but the latency of the response has gone down by 50%, where previously I had 16ms ping response, it is now steady at around 8ms, which in turn makes everything actually load faster.

i.e, download and upload speed is the same, but opening web pages is twice as fast as it was before.

The really big difference though is when transferring files over the local network. What might have taken a minute before now happens in about 5 seconds.

Additionally, if the network was very busy and I happened to be streaming music to my network music players at the same time as a large file transfer was happening, or when downloading big files from the internet, the music was occasionally stuttering. This problem no longer exists.

Amazing, I'm delighted that for £18 I can get such a boost in performance.
on 28 July 2013
After an electrical storm wiped my network off of the planet, I bought this card as a quick and cheap replacement. What a fantastic piece of kit for the money!!! Popped it into my PC, booted up and installed the card and driver within 5 minutes. You get great results with this card too. I'm going to buy another one as a spare. If you're after a cheap and cheerful NIC then make this card your first choice. I can't fault it.
on 16 October 2012
Good quality product for the price as its not the cheapest. Service and delivery were excellent. Other reviews have said cd and instructions are confusing etc. You just have read more carefully and do exactly what the instructions ask you to do to find the appropriate driver.StarTech.com 1 Port PCI 10/100/1000 32 Bit Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card
on 25 November 2012
worked well with linux straight out of the box
good value for price- very easy to install
good product overall
on 16 April 2013
Bought this to replace a defective card, works as i would expect it to. Very pleased indeed with the purchase.