5.0 out of 5 stars Smartsuite - the best package by far!
Published on 2 Feb. 2006 by R L Chapman

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with Wordpro
I bought the millenium edition of Lotis Smartsuite mainly to get a more recent update to my 1997 edition of Wordpro. This was originally designed around Windows 95 and is becoming increasingly flaky with more recent versions of windows i.e. 98 and XP (haven't tried Vista and probably won't). However, apart from some minor cosmetic tweaks, Wordpro Millenium still crashes...
Published on 11 May 2009 by Iain Citchley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartsuite - the best package by far!, 2 Feb. 2006
R L Chapman (Benfleet, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
Over the past twenty years I have used numerous word processing programs, and have never found anything to equal WordPro. Freelance Graphics, which I use regularly, does everything I could possibly want it to do. It is easier to make these programs do what you want them to do, and, just as important, to prevent them from doing things you don't want them to do, by far, than with the Microsoft equivilants. And then there is the fact that Lotus gives you the filters to save into a wide range of formats, or read out of them, so documents in some other format are not a problem (which they certainly are with Microsoft programs). Finally, Lotus have priced this package at a level that a mere mortal can afford, unlike Microsoft Office, which is outrageously expensive. I really can't understand why anyone, whether private individual or multinational corporation, would use anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please IBM don't leave SmartSuite in the cold, 16 April 2007
R. Wragg (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
I have used both Lotus SmartSuite and Microsoft Office in various versions for well over a decade. Both suites are incredibly powerful but for me the application which really makes the difference between the two is Lotus Approach.
I first discovered with brilliant software when it was in its first version, before it became part of SmartSuite. I have used it as a development platform for a wide range of applications for all sorts of clients from lawyers to catering suppliers and from CRM applications to invoicing. It is a staggeringly good piece of software that makes Access seem sluggish in performance and slow during development.
A couple of years back a long term client asked me to redevelop an Approach based application that was a core system for their business into an Access based equivalent. I recommended that they didn't do this as the performance of Access would be slow and the functionality of the system would be difficult to replicate under Access. The client said that they had decided to standardise around Microsoft Office products so they wanted to do this. I turned down the job and they spent the next five months trying to redevelop the application with another company. Then they gave up. Those Approach applications are still active in this "Microsoft house".
I would urge IBM to look again at Approach as a top class tool which is brilliant for creating user friendly datebase driven applications. With better linkages to more powerful SQL database engines they have a real winner in their stable just waiting to be harnessed. There is a huge opportunity to make Approach the tool of choice for developing real world user interfaces for the new breed of systems that are now being developed around MySQL/Linux and Open Source. Come on IBM - you make all the right noises about Open Source and Linux systems; is it just lip service?

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Suite - who needs MS Office ??, 5 Aug. 2005
Huck Flynn "huckleberry" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
Why is MS Office so popular when Lotus Smartsuite provides more features, more ease of use and incredible price ??? Wordpro is a much more intuitive wordprocessor, supports more formats, 123 provides all your spreadsheet needs and for super databases (even relational ones) Approach is much quicker and simple to use than Access. As if that's not enough you've got Freelance Graphics, Organiser, Fastsite and other valuable modules, easy to install and manage. If you really have to share with MS users the packages all write files in MS readable format - a feature not reciprocated by Microsoft. Convert today - you won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotus SmartSuite millennium edition Release 9.8.2 - it WORKS with Windows 8 - that's all I wanted, 13 Mar. 2013
Geoffrey Woollard (South East Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
I had a major problem last week. My 'old' (only three years old) computer died on me. It operated with Windows 7. The new one I bought works with Windows 8 (which I am happy with). Most of my document files on the old computer were created using Lotus Wordpro, an excellent program that I have had and used for many years - from back in the late 1990s - and that has been installed successfully from the original backup disk onto several successive computers. I had most of my document files backed up on an external hard drive but the new computer (with Windows 8) would not let me install Lotus Wordpro. Therefore I could not access or open those backed-up document files nor do any more work with Lotus Wordpro. As I said, I had a major problem.

I found Lotus SmartSuite millennium edition Release 9.8.2 on Amazon and I ordered it yesterday. It arrived today (for which I am very grateful) and, though it wouldn't install itself automatically, I soon found a way to install this later version of Lotus Wordpro from the disk that contained the whole of Lotus SmartSuite. Within minutes, I had accessed my Lotus Wordpro documents and it appears that, not only can I do all that I could with my old version of Lotus Wordpro, but also more with some newer features. I have not tried to install the other programs of Lotus SmartSuite but I suppose that they would work well if I wanted them to.

All I needed was a version of Lotus Wordpro that would work with Windows 8. I have it now: it's brilliant and it's a very great relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotus SmartSuite Millennium Edition - ( v. 9.8 ), 29 Sept. 2005
Peter Gracie (Southerness, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
I've been looking for this for ages and I thought it had gone for good. I really only want Word Pro because it is the best word processor bar none. I dont like any Microsoft programmes and I have found Word Perfect difficult after Word Pro which only gave me a problem when I tried to use the previous issue in XP. I can now enjoy wordprocessing again at a remarkable price. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to OFFICE but it is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA, 13 Mar. 2009
N. L. Mann (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
I've used Lotus Smartsuite alongside Microsofts office for many years - After purchasing a new machine which runs Vista my old version of Lotus did not load up - I bought this latest XP version hoping that it would have some comptactibility with VISTA - although it sort of loads up and wordpro and 123 work sort of okay - Approach definately DOES NOT no matter what you do - which is a shame because all the data bases I've ever created were using LOTUS APPROACH - IBM say that they are not going to produce a VISTA version so temporarily I uninstalled VISTA and re-loaded a version of XP on my new machine which is a real shame but atleast everything works with XP - So I've got a new machine but running XP!! Come on IBM keep up otherwise Microsoft will get the upper hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars An much under-rated office suite., 9 Oct. 2010
R. K. Gillard (Harrow. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
Lotus were the first with spreadsheets and in my opinion are still the best. I have used Lotus 123 from when it was a DOS application and it is much better than the rest including Excel and OpenOffice etc. for several reasons, but top is security. When you lock a workbook, everything except what you deliberately set as unprotected, gets locked by one action. So if you have a large multi-sheet 3D workbook, all sheets are secured and your valuable formula safe. In other spreadsheets you have to individually lock sheets even if you lock a workbook. That is a big failing, and can be time consuming to set and check all sheets the first time and every time you want to make an amendment. It is easy to miss a sheet and leave it open to corruption. Lotus 123 also has built-in a better Macro system for making automated workbooks, and very complex programs can be achieved without recourse to third part applications such as Visual Basic needed for Excel. Whilst Excel does have Macros they will not do many of the things 123 Macros can do. The Lotus Approach database is a very intuitive relational program which is easy to use, as is the Lotus Word word processor. I bought this latest version of the suite to upgrade my older version, but at such a ridiculously low price, it makes you wonder why anyone pays the inflated prices for others like the MS office suite. Lotus is the best and cheapest, and in my opinion even beats the free ones like OpenOffice because of its superior features. Like its name it is the SmartSuite to buy. I do not have any vested interest with the product - just a satisfied customer. Roy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotus SmartSuite, 7 May 2009
M. Cox "Hammer" (Feltham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
Years ago all I ever used was Lotus Approach; this in my view is the only database that satisfied me, now after all this time and in need of a database again. The first place I looked was on Amazon and found it straight away; so obviously I bought it,

I have read that this piece of software doses not work with VISTA? Well I can assure you it does as with my Microsoft XP pro. I have a computer, [Microsoft XP pro] a laptop [VISTA] and a net book [Microsoft XP] this software is on all three.

I have always loved working with Lotus SmartSuite and always will, "fantastic"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotus Smartsuite beats MS Office, hands down., 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
After buying a new computer, the first purchase I made was Lotus Smartsuite (as I've been a user for many-a-year). Then, I also registered my copy of MS Office (which came with the computer) as everyone seems to be brainwashed into thinking that MS office (Word, Excel etc.) are the only products out there and won't accept anything else electronically.

Well, just recently, I had recourse to revisit a document I created back in 2001 - at a time when I was using MS Word on a daily basis (i.e., before I came to my senses). Anyhow, I was somewhat surprised that the version of MS Word that I've got (2007), refused to open it... Thankfully, Lotus Wordpro came to my rescue, by opening it with not a single problem :-)

Why oh why, can't MS Office products be backward compatable???? This, is just one of the many reasons why I continue to use Wordpro (from which, if I need to, I can save into MS Word format very easily).

5.0 out of 5 stars [whose service and delivery is brilliant! ] one for me and gifted a congregation ..., 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed (Software)
I purchase two from Convey Solutions, [whose service and delivery is brilliant!] one for me and gifted a congregation elder with one. It loaded and works well; I use Win 7 ultimate and loaded via the media options that comes up when I load discs it takes a few mins to load, for ease of use open all programs clkon Lotus and clkon smartsuite, this gives an taskbar enabling a hastle free access to al you want, in the internet box clkon favourites close and ignore the box that opens regarding text even the early 97 edition had this. All parts work very well. I also loaded it on my wifes Win 7 home premium via windows explorer, clkon D drive then select setup.exe it loads no problem, and works the same;the elder uses Win 8.1 it loaded with no problems. The only problem with Lotus is that when I updated Adobe reader Lotus disappeared and I had to reinstall, similar happened when iI used an older version way back in 1998 on my now ancient Cyrix 300 with its 20GB had drive running Win 98 SE. So buy with confidence it's better than MS Works. The first Version I used was over £150 with a discount. Great poroduct and a give away price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed
Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.8 Retail Boxed by IBM Lotus (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / XP)