5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Item

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid
Published on 28 May 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Item, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
I spent ages researching for an MP3 player to buy, taking into account factors such as the length of time I would use it and memory I would need. I initially thought about 20 Gb but soon realised that I would never fill that and settled on a smaller player, 1.5 Gb was perfect. After much comparisons, I decided to buy this Philips one, as I have had CD players from them before, and found the sound excellent. So here are the Pro's and Con's of this device:
Pro's
> Looks stunning with its white magnesium casing and white LED backlighting
> Sound is excellent and clear, the volume range is perfect. Bass boost is welcome too.4 equalizer settings.
>Really easy to use interface in the player, self explanitory
> Earphones quite good, they put Sony to shame with the rubbish they supply with their products.
>Use as an external storage device for files
Cons
>Have to use software to transfer songs. The DMM software is quite fiddly to begin with, but easy to use after a few goes.
> USB 1.1 means transfer time is slower, but wont make much of a difference as you arent transferring huge amounts of data.
> Actual formatted space is 1.3Gb, not the 1.5Gb as stated. A bit sneaky of Philips.
>No carry case included, just a useless neckband thing.
So who are the competitors for the HDD060? I Pod mini has 4Gb of storage but doesnt play the increasingly popular WMA format, and is more expensive. The Creative Muvo 1.5Gb doesnt look anywhere near as good as the HDD060, and sound is distorted at high volumes, I have heard.
In conclusion, I can definitely say that you wont be disappointed if you buy this, it is a quality piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a little belter, 13 July 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
Having read some of the reviews posted earlier on this product, I thought I'd chip in with my opinion and set the record straight.
This is an excellent mp3 player. After a few problems with the software which were easily overcome (Tip! Disable your firewall and anti-virus before installing, otherwise you may have problems like I did) I found it easy to use. Some people complain about having to use software to download tracks onto the player, but believe me it is worth it. It makes file management so much easier and playlists are easily made up making your musical enjoyment stretch that little bit more. The software is a little cumbersome to start with, but persevere and you'll find it simple.
As for the player itself - well, it looks smart, weighs in at less than 100 grams (compare that to an 30 GB iPod!), it's menu system is easy to navigate and control, and the quality of sound produced through the headphones is superb. The player even supports the increasingly popular WMA format, which almost doubles the capacity of the player compared to storing mp3s only. Okay, it's storage space is only 1.5 GB, but with being able to store approximatley 75 albums who cares? Besides what's the point of having albums stored on an mp3 player that you haven't listened to for 10 years and probably won't listen to it for another 10!
All in all, a thouroughly excellent investment. If you are wavering between this Philips hdd060 and an iPod mini, don't be scared to take the plunge on this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phillips HDD060 - very pleased :), 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
The HDD060 is a stunning piece of kit, perfect size and easy to work your way around - tracks can be found quickly through the easy to work light touch buttons. Only niggly point, turning the set off is a NIGHTMARE as you use the play button, but you must hold down. Holding down too long is ineffective, as is not long enough, therfore you must be spot on. It can take me two minutes at times to turn this thing off...
A minor irritation is in the software in which unless you upload each track one by one, starting with the last of the album, the tracks will play through on the player in reverse order!
But as i said, this is only minor and doesn't detract from the quality of the player. Well worth the money and pretty stunning to look at :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good "no frills" player., 16 Oct 2004
M. Smith (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
I bought one of these for my son about 6 months ago and he has had many hours of fun with it. He's 8 years old and can work the controls without any problems - he can also turn it on/off without difficulty. :) The battery seems ok - charging doesn't seem to take too long (he leaves it for a couple of hours and its good to go) and then it lasts him 2-3 weeks depending upon how much he uses the player (I can't tell you how many hours play that is though...)
As with most other reviews of mp3 players I've read, the standard headphones are pretty poor and hurt your ears after 10-15 minutes of use. We invested in some others that suit him more and I suggest that you will probably need to do the same.
The main problem with the product is the software, which is *very* basic. My main problems with this are:
- you can transfer files to the hdd060, but not back to your PC (so if you want to back-up files, don't delete the originals off your PC!)
- you can edit tags via the software, but only one file at a time. Editing mp3 tags works ok, but for wma tags it seems to ignore any changes even though it lets you edit them. The solution here is to get the tags right on your PC before transferring the tracks over.
- when editing tags it doesn't allow you to add new genres, although it will add a new genre to the options list from a new track if you select that new track to edit first (having already set the new genre up via your PC). :|
The solution to all of this is to get the tracks encoded and tagged on your PC before you transfer them over *and* don't delete them afterwards so you have a backup. I haven't experienced the album reverse playback issue mentioned in other feedback, but I don't think my son really cares about that if it happens.
I've upgraded the firmware twice and this has been a painless process. I haven't noticed any difference and neither has my son; there are no new features, etc., so I assume they were just bug fixes. Anyway, the main point here is that it is a painless process.
The disk isn't *huge*, but its good enough if you want a selection of current favourites rather than your entire catalogue of CDs. For about 40 more you can get a Creative Zen Xtra with a 30Gb disk so I'd consider that if buying another player in the future.
All in all, this is a good basic player and I'd recommend it if you don't need knobs, whistles or a mobile version of your entire CD collection. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars the secret is in 'playlists', 26 Mar 2004
D. Egerton "danegerton" (Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
This is a fantastic machine, I am struggling to fill the capacity (I have put all my collection of 20 CDs onto it, but it isnt full yet). I have it on for a couple of hours a day, on the way to work, but the battery doesnt need recharging more than once a week.
There are no problems with it (the off button isnt that bad!) -a tip to my fellow reviewer: use the playlist function to make sure that the songs are in the right order - you can sort the songs into playlists even if they are already loaded, just do it on the supplied software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Micro Jukebox - Highly Recommended!, 1 Jun 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
I bought this little beauty recently and I must say how pleased I am with it.
I previously owned a iPod and found it heavy and just a bit too big and didn't use it. This is ideal! One review said it was lightweight but is designed to be that way.Wearable!
The software needs time to get used to, but it's fine once you get the hang of it. I can store all the songs I want and my data in a tiny package. The superscroll is also good for long playlists you can use this by pressing the search buttons a little harder. Making playlists makes it easy to use, make sure you download the latest version of DMM software from the philips site.
Buy one now!

5.0 out of 5 stars HDD60 Great Item, 6 Sep 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
Like a few others i read some reviews of this player and it almost put me off buying but im glad it didnt as the player is great and sounds as good as my partners 20gb ipod but at least this little thing is half the size and weight making it great to carry round.
Its my first mp3 player and i found it really easy to set up and get started with the philips music program cd particularly easy to set up against my music stored on the pc.
Great player great value go get one

5.0 out of 5 stars Hdd Nice little mp3, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
the hdd060 is a good little mp3 player it has a good battery life (better than a 20gb i pod) and it can store a good amount of songs. If you convert the songs in to wma it can hold even more you can do this with power wma. the software is easy to use and the charging time is not to bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 28 May 2004
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
So, I'd had a look around at various MP3 players and the HDD060 looked quite good - small, reasonable amount of space for such a small player, reviews looked good. However, when it was unboxed, it looked and felt like there was nothing inside it (which there probably wasn't). Plugged it in and downloaded a few CDs and then realised they were being played in reverse order. They were in the correct order in WM player, but were strangely reversed when copied to the player. The reviewer that says making playlists corrects the problem is right, but why the hell should you have to do this?? Obviously, you expect the songs to play in the correct order without manipulation, otherwise what's the point? I had three conversations over the phone to Philips who could come up with nothing other than it was a mystery. So, the songs should play in the correct order, but don't. After two days, when the player was connected to the PC by USB, it crashed and when powered down would not restart. It did boot up the next morning, but the same thing happened and so Philips advice was to send it back to the supplier which I promptly did. I've now got a Zen Xtra 30Gb player from Creative, which crucially, plays the songs in the correct order. Motto: You get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant device, 19 Mar 2004
D. Egerton "danegerton" (Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HDD060 1.5GB Wearable MP3 Player (Electronics)
Dont worry about what he says in the other review: this is a good piece of kit.
I listen to it on the train on the way to work, and the battery charge lasts for a couple of weeks. I have put 20 full CD's into it (wma format, much better compression than mp3 by the way) and still have room for 5 or 6 more.
The only thing wrong with it to me is the headphones: they give good sound quality, but you have to have giant earlugs, or they work their way loose!