5.0 out of 5 stars These Reviews are spot on - Amazing Album
Britneys had some bad press recently, and personally I don't think she deserves it. She gets slated no matter what she does, so its a no win situation. She is constantly compared to Christina Aguilera and shouldn't be - They're both branching into their own styles and I think thats whats so good about this Album.
Here is a run down of the Songs.
Me Against the...
Published on 17 Nov 2003 by Donna England

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm......not bad but not great!!!
Britney does well for the amount of talent she has as an artist. She does not have the best vocals or song writing ability, which is her main downfall. What comes through in the album is hard work, and good production.
The album will produce hit singles, and some amazingly sexy videos. Me against the music was a nice start, and toxic is probably the best song on the...
Published on 25 Mar 2004 by ring321

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh........., 8 Jun 2005
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
Didn't like this album. I first got it, had a listen and not one track really stuck in my mind which is always the sign of a bad album, in my opinion anyway. So now I just use it when I'm working out, but its a shame. Everytime is quite nice, but I don't think its Britney's best album at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for Ms. Spears!, 4 Feb 2004
Luciano (Buenos Aires, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
A thing that often works for any young artist it seems not to result for Britney: her latest attempt to be watched as a mature artist is a complete failure!
First of all, she tried to sound rappest and streetest as ever, and I don't know why everybody in the business think that this seems they have grown up artistically.
And finally, it seems that the good songs will be only the ones which are going to be released as singles.
The first song on the album and first single-off is the duet with Madge "Me Against The Music". The song is brilliant in any aspect and made No2 on charts, is the best on the album.
Then we have rubbish material from song 2 to 5, being "I've Got That Boom Boom" the worst of them.
Then comes the current single and what looks to become a huge success... "Toxic" is a piece of excellent pop and one of the hightlights on the album, it seems that the charts will see the hit onto the Top 3.
Following the awesome "Toxic" is my personal favourite from the album and great-sounding "Outrageous". R. Kelly's work on this track is terrific and it has to be Britney's most successive attempt to be R&B/Hip-Hop stylish.
The curse of rubbish continues on its way from song 8 to 11, though "Brave New Girl" has an excellent Madonna-styled bridge which is totally ruined by the chorus, just in case you didn't notice Britney sounds like singing for kids.
With song No12 we have ballad Everytime, a good song that is obviously going to be released as a single in the future.
The Rishi Rich's remix to "Me Against The Music" is really great, with that Asian-beat that reminds me a lot to "Dance With You (Nacha Terre Naal)" and Panjabi MC's "Mundian To Bach Ke".
The bonus tracks are OK but nothing compared to the good pop Britney used to make with hits such as "...Baby One More Time", "(You Drive Me) Crazy", "Oops!... I Did It Again" or "Stronger".
If you always liked Britney but don't have any of her albums and are thinking to buy any of them, just trust me, don't buy this!
Buy "...Baby One More Time" or "Oops!... I Did It Again" and you'll enjoy excellent pop albums, believe me, this is rubbish material and it doesn't worth the pay!

1.0 out of 5 stars not good enough, 25 Nov 2003
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
Ok I actaully have all of britney's albums and this has to be the worst. I did actually like 'me against the music' even though it would never win anything for originality, it was fun dance song and I thought the album could have alot to offer. I was very disapointed!
After numerous listens trying to like the CD, i did spend money on it after all, i have come to conclusion that it was a total waste of my dosh... I so wish I bought Kylie's body langauge instead!
There is One track that is brilliant though and My one star is for that track...'breathe on me' is great but still not that original really. I have bought alot of Cd's this year and this has to be the worst!

1.0 out of 5 stars complete utter, 17 Nov 2003
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
this is the worst attempt of Britney trying to be cool.. this is really bad, it kinda wants to make me throw out all of my britney stuff

3.0 out of 5 stars Her worst album yet, but still okay, 6 Dec 2003
David H (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
Britney is backa with a bang, after a promotional boost thanks that racy kiss with Madonna on the MTV Video Music Awards, Britney is pulling out all the stops and is determined to see to it that her new album sells quicker than a special free Jennifer Lopez edition of Playboy and one can't fault the girl for trying. Britney has turned the sensuality metre right up to 11. That's not to say that this album is quite as skanky as Christina Aguilera's Stripped (terrible album by the way) but she does never the less sound like a randy college girl on the loose. One would be forgiven for thinking Britney had a multiple personality disorder. She doesn't sound in any way like the sweet, giggley Britney that you often see in interviews. Here, she sounds like she has enough attitude and libido to beat Annabelle Chong in a game of "I can do more in 10 hours than you". Britney sounds hornier than ever before in songs like "I Got That (Boom Boom)", "Breathe On Me" and "Touch Of My Hand". Unfortunately, none of these songs are as genuinely sexy and fun as "I'm A Slave 4 U" and "Boys". She also treats us to what will probably be the last piece of sugar coated pop that she'll ever do, "Brave New Girl". The song is very positive and uplifting but lacks the distinctiveness and memorable hooks of songs such as "Soda Pop", "Stronger" and the like. Why the quality of Britney's music has declined like this is open to anyone's own interpretation, but I think she could have worked with better producers. Britney has parted ways with Max Martin, who produced all of her hits prior to this album, with the exception of "I'm A Slave 4 U" and "Boys" produced by The Neptunes and her cover of "I Love Rock & Roll" produced by Rodney Jerkins (aka Dark Child). Max Martin is a talented pop tunesmith and an excellent producer and without him, Britney seems lost in this ocean of producers (why she got R. Kelly to produce the awful "Outrageous" is anybody's guess)and in fact, this sounds more like their album than her's even though she has co-written more tracks here than ever before. Britney's vocals sound particularly weak, where she sang her heart out on her first three albums, she rarely utters more than groan here. You can't help but get the feeling that this album would have been no different if you got Emma Bunton to sing it. I would recommend any Spears album (especially her third) to pop enthusiasts apart from this one. Although there are a lot of musical influences here, ranging from trip hop to trance to new age to hip hop and even world music, I was still left feeling cold. Ironically, her other albums were put together in a more calculated way but perhaps that was always part of Britney Spears' charm. This is not a bad album, if want to hear a creative failure of collosal proportions, listen to Christina's disastrous Stripped album, but it still sounds like Britney knows as little about where she's going with her music as she does her career. Lets hope she puts things into perspective with her next release.

1.0 out of 5 stars not good at all...., 1 Dec 2003
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
This Album is bad, no real bad... I don't underctand her, it's a poor attempt to become a 'grown-up' artist. The thing Britney needs to understand is that she's never going to become a proper artist like Madonna/Christina. Just don't buy it...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Girl, Not Yet a Singer, 12 Jun 2004
Burjiz (Schaffhausen, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
Like a few other celebrities, Britney Spears is famous for everything but what she should be famous for. She makes headlines for her skimpy outfits, her breakup with boy wonder Justin Timberlake, and for smooching a certain pop star old enough to be her mother. Oh, she's also a singer and she releases albums. But the music is merely an afterthought. To be fair, her last three albums did yield a small handful of moderately engaging pop singles, but in the end, they're mere product existing to keep Spears in the spotlight. Her latest long-player, the Janet Jackson-esque titled "In the Zone," is supposed to find the quasi-virgin shedding her wholesome image in favor of a raunchier sound. For all its willingness to titillate, "In the Zone" is a 50 minute contrivance: forced and phony. The album has energy, but there's no soul. Spears' thin voice is set to reheated hip hop beats and downtempo electronica that vaguely recalls Madonna's 1998 "Ray of Light." Speaking of the Material Girl, she guests on the appropriately titled "Me Against the Music," and Spears does indeed sound like she is against the music. I didn't pick up any chemistry between either singer, and the song sounds less like a collaboration than a business merger. "(I Got That) Boom Boom" featuring Ying Yang Twins is a hip hop number that finds Spears woefully out of her depth, and ditto can be said for the otherwise effective "Outrageous," written by R. Kelly. In the latter song, Kelly provides a fairly decent upbeat groove, but it's hard not to chuckle at her attempts to generate heat when she drops lines like "my sex drive/my shopping sprees." Moby doesn't fare much better with the Brit on the mid-tempo "Early Mornin'," which sounds curiously flat. To be honest, Kylie Minogue is no better a singer than Spears, but at least Minogue possesses a genuine charm and is supported by the right material to compensate for her vocal limitations. Not so with Britney. She still sounds like a little girl in search of an identity, and many of her songs make her frail voice all the more noticeable. "In the Zone" teases but never pleases. It has no substance.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's happen to her music?, 1 Nov 2003
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
Well, first of all her third album was a huge turning point of different kind of music than what I would expect from her already. Now I've just heard one of her latest song "Me Against The Music". It was a terrible song to sing. I hope that is not one of the best song on this album. If that song is one of the best song on this album then I wouldn't expect any good song out of this album at all. I am a big music fan of her previous 1st and 2nd albums but not since she've change herself away from her clean-image-looking and along with her music too. As far as I know was first Britney Spears, then Christina Aguilera, and the least I also knew and used to be my favorite 'Liza Scott-Lee' as well change their perfect-looking-image into some sexist-look.What's happen to most of the clean-image-looking female music artists these day anyway.

In The Zone
In The Zone by Britney Spears (Audio CD - 2004)