Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 January 2004
solid sophmore lp. Though this is not as good as "Millenium Metaphors" I must say that the lyrics are just as sharp and the production, while not quite as nice as the aforementioned lp as well as the "Chosen Few" ep, you can hear the musical growth of Nappa (who in my opinion is the Alchemist/DJ Premier of the UK). I first came to hear of this group while visiting London in 1999, and I had the opportunity to see them live and I thought this is one of the top five dous/groups of all time, including US dous/groups. Lyrically, the format doesn't change on this, as PLC always has something to say, whether it's addressing political issues or problems effecting the barrios in England. The thing I love the most about them is that they don't try to sound like US artists, but their sound is from the throw back days (i.e. Rakim, KRS, Public Enemy) of when, even in the US, lyrics, flow and content are what mattered most and not gimmicks. This lp continues that wonderful tradition of classic hiphop. The lp does start of a little slow (the first two joints), the rest of the lp is filled with incredible lyricism and solid production. The standout joints are "Real Raw, The Desert, Cypher Refunk and War of Words." The additon of Skit Slam (though not really necessary) is a nice change up from Si & Phili's flow.
With that said, this is a definite must have for anyone who's a true fan of hiphop as an art and culture. It's a must have for any who want to hear pure lyrics and top production. It's an lp for those who are tired of all of that watered down garbage that's an insult to hiphop pumped over the radio airwaves 24/7, and it's for those who want to have that feel of 1994-the last really good year for hiphop in general. UK heads, stop buying all of that US garbage (then you wanna dis but continue to buy it) and support your own, especially a group that's worth your hard earned dollars, or in your case, pounds.
on 15 November 2004
Yep, the first listen makes you feel slightly unfulfilled, but play this album again and the funky rhythms and clever sample work coupled with the lightning-speed rapping will begin to grow on you. Play it another time and you'll certainly start to nod your head along and enjoy it more and more. I'm always happy to hear fresh new UK rap, and artists like Phi-Life Cypher and Cappo generally blow their 'American Gangsta Rap' counterparts out of the water lyrically. I say 'generally', because some of the verse on 'Higher Forces' are a little unpolished; however, I don't for one second believe that this is the best offering Skit Slam and the crew have offered, or can offer us.
I like the style, and the rapping is on the whole great, but for now, I'll continue bobbing away to this thoroughly enjoyable album in anticipation of the 5* album they deserve to achieve one day.
Favorite tracks are 'Overemix' and 'Free'.
on 19 November 2003
Since having listened to their first album 'Millenium Metaphors' I've tried to accquire everything Phi-Life Cypher have done as I think they are outstanding mc's delivering clever lyrics which often concern contemporary issues. So I have been eagerly awaiting the launch of this second album. Let me say that if you are a fan of the first, you won't be disappointed. Once again we experience the rapid verbal skills with the new addition of Skit Slam who with a different voice and flow breaks the two up whilst complementing them nicely. I have instant favourites in the tracks 'Overremix' with its catchy loop of the word 'over', and 'The desert' with its haunting melody but for me its all about track ten: 'free', which is amazing. When I first heard it I had the same reaction as upon first hearing the opening of Eminem's 'Stan' - it was so unexpected I checked to make sure that I was still listening to the same album and then it launches into the one of the best tracks that I think Phi-Life have done. The only reason I wouldn't give this album five stars is that I didn't like the short opening track or the second one 'Search & Destroy' upon first listening but its also because I haven't heard the album through more than twice (just listened to the ones that instantly stand out the most) so I haven't allowed for tracks to grow on me.
on 2 January 2004
solid sophmore lp. Though this is not as good as "Millenium Metaphors" I must say that the lyrics are just as sharp and the production, while not quite as nice as the aforementioned lp as well as the "Chosen Few" ep, you can hear the musical growth of Nappa (who in my opinion is the Alchemist/DJ Premier of the UK). I first came to hear of this group while visiting London in 1999, and I had the opportunity to see them live and I thought this is one of the top five dous/groups of all time, including US dous/groups. Lyrically, the format doesn't change on this, as PLC always has something to say, whether it's addressing political issues or problems effecting the barrios in England. The thing I love the most about them is that they don't try to sound like US artists, but their sound is from the throw back days (i.e. Rakim, KRS, Public Enemy) of when, even in the US, lyrics, flow and content are what mattered most and not gimmicks. This lp continues that wonderful tradition of classic hiphop. The lp does start of a little slow (the first two joints), the rest of the lp is filled with incredible lyricism and solid production. The standout joints are "Real Raw, The Desert, Cypher Refunk and War of Words." The additon of Skit Slam (though not really necessary) is a nice change up from Si and Life's flow.
on 15 September 2004
When I first heard Phi Life Cypher on DJ Skitz, Homegrown, i really liked the flow of Life's rhymes so i decided to take a punt on Higher Forces, i was not really knowing what to expect. I first heard it and was a bit disappointed but i did listen to it through a few more times and it really grew on me. Its really good, a recommended buy. If you ever see it i would recommend getting Life's solo album, Everyday Life. Its more of the same but still really good, especially Slaves Revenge.
on 4 May 2015
The best album the group have produced in my opinion - Making it one of the best albums ever made.
on 25 November 2003
wicked album, although it starts off slow. The first 2 tracks arenet great but after that it is incredible.
[...]