5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff indeed..., 25 Oct. 2012
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
I went to see Eric in a small club in Painswick, Gloucestershire just after this CD came out, I really enjoyed the performance and as it was my birthday I'd had a 'few drinks' and I ended up chatting to Eric and buying the CD. The next morning, with a splitting head, I contemplated the CD and wondered if I'd made a mistake. However, although I had really enjoyed his live performance when I listened to the CD it was even better than I expected.

Eric's voice is wonderful throughout and his original songs are in the folk blues tradition but with a modern spin, as in "Happy Home Recipe". Indeed "Saucer 'N' Cup" and "Shingle by Shingle" are two of the catchiest folk-based songs I've ever heard, having that blues sensibility but also being very melodic. Although Eric often sings with just his guitar but he is also accompanied by very sympathetic Swedish musicians including Göran Wennerbrandt (who also produced), Janne Petersson, Olle Eriksson, Bjorn Gideonsson, Jenny Bohman, Christer Lyssarides' and Derrick Walker who all play wonderfully. He's also joined by the Deacons gospel vocal group for my personal favourite "Where The Green Grass Grows" a moving gospel song with a great slide guitar solo by Göran Wennerbrandt. I really enjoyed Eric's debut Opus 3 recording "Spirit & The Blues" from 1994 but this record is even better - I included both in my Amazon list "New blues (Great blues CDs of the last 10 years". Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sublime jouney back to the beutiful basics of folk/blues, 21 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
On hearing the standout tracks 'Shingle by Shingle' and 'Good Stuff'i was an immediate Eric Bibb fan. These two cuts are soulfull and sublime with not an extraneous note or chord to be heard. Stripped down to the very basics this is the unbeatable bare bones of American folk/blues played with true feeling. Feel uplifted, achingly nostalgic or just plainly soothed by an undoubted classic in the genre. For a slightly more intricate sound in the same mood try the english guitarist John Renbourne.

Good Stuff
Good Stuff by Eric Bibb (Audio CD - 2005)