on 15 November 2004
After my last toastie maker died I got a cheap replacement for about £7. The non-stick coating stuck to the bread, it took ages to heat up, food got stuck in awkward cracks, and eventually the clip to close it flew off across the room violently. In short, you get what you pay for. This may seem a little steep for the occasional tostie, but they'll be perfect every time. It heats up before you've sliced the cheese, and by the time you've put the stuff back in the fridge it's cooked. Once heated up it's much faster than a toaster, so if you're doing plain toast or toasted sandwiches for three or four people, it's a great way to do it. You can do open sandwiches by raising the lid, so toasted cheese is a doddle, and the recipe book has loads of suggestions for things that are much more exciting. By far my favourite thing is that if things spill on it you just have to leave it to cool and wipe it with a dry kitchen towel, and the mess just disappears. No crusty burned cheese, no grease, and no pools of congealed butter. It also has a cord tidy, and can be stored upright to save space. When they designed this, they really thought about what people want.
0Comment| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2005
I adore toasted sandwiches. But having arthritis in my hands means that the type of sandwich maker with the clip on the front is impossible for me to use, let alone clean. This little baby is magic. Not only does it make the best toasted sandwich, the filling for which are only limited by your imagination, the floating hinge means you can fill the sandwich to the max. and the adjustable height means that you do not squash your sandwich into a pancake. Use it as a toaster for thicker types of bread, make open sandwiches, without worrying about the filling dropping onto the plate, it's non-stick - really is non-stick. Cleaning is a doddle just wipe it over when its cooled and your done. Lock it closed wind, the cable onto the underside and store it upright, it takes up minimal space on your kitchen worktop.
11 comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2007
I bought this item based on the Amazon reviews and was so pleased I felt that I should add my 5 stars so that someone else might buy it!

It's a sleek, shiny contraption, really easy to figure out and you can crack straight on without any set-up or anything. It heats up in less than 5 minutes and for a basic melted cheese toastie also takes less than 5 minutes - probably about 7 minutes altogether to a really tasty snack!!

The toasting effect it gives is wonderful, with no grease or butter it turns bread a lovely, even, golden brown, and heats the filling thoroughly. The sandwiches I have made with it taste so much fresher and healthier than in the old-style toasted sandwich makers that had to be covered in grease, PLUS - cleaning is not even an issue! It needs nothing more than a wipe with a piece of kitchen towel after each use. Any grease or melted cheese doesn't congeal or stick, it just lifts right off.

It's a pleasure to use and I'm really pleased with my purchase - would recommend to everyone!
on 16 July 2004
If you've ever used one of them 'seal and cut' sandwich presses you know what I mean about the difficulty in cleaning it. Not with this little beauty! I've accidentally closed the lid when I was melting cheese on toast and it came of easily. It is easy to clean and there are no hinges or funny nooks and cranies where the melted cheese could disappear into (I once opened a seal and cut sandwich press and was sick seeing the congealed mouldy mess). This sandwich press delivers beautiful evenly toasted sandwiches, or just toast if you like. It says in the instructions that you don't need to butter the bread but I find it tastes just that little bit nicer if you do. It doesn't need it though to prevent the bread from sticking to the plates so if you want to save on calories you will still have a beautiful toasted sandwich without the extra butter. We currently live on toasted sandwiches in our house at the moment.

Edit: it's now October 2009 and this sandwich toaster is still going strong. Used occasionally and more so in the winter but it's still looks as good as new. No problems with it whatsoever over the years. I can see this lasting forever!
on 26 March 2004
I bought this sandwich press as I don't like the hassle caused by the pocketed ones that are hell to clean. It's brillant, golden brown cafe style sandwichs in minutes with good even heating, also you can make amazing bruschetta if you soak bread in olive oil then place in the press which saves on the hassle of grilling. On the down side I'd advise that you don't use metal cutlery as the plates scratch quite easily but mine seems perfectly happy despite the scratches
on 10 February 2006
Such a great sandwich toaster. We have had it for well over a yr and toast our sandwiches nearly every day. Is sooo easy to clean and heats up really fast. So much better than the toasters that seal in the filling as can toast any old sandwich you like with any shapes and sizes of bread. bagels, paninis, rolls. Not that great for cheese on toast - easier under the grill but would not be without it and if it broke, I would buy another immmediately.

UPDATED Oct 2008

Just wanted to add a note to this review - my TR40 finally bit the dust a couple of weeks ago after a long and great service. I have bought another one exactly the same just as I said I would as I have never had any complaints - and if I get another 3/4 years out of this one then I will be very happy.
on 21 January 2007
This is great! Heats up really fast to make delicious toasted pannini, but it can also be used as a quick grill to make other snacks. Thin-crust pizza (you know, the type from the supermarket chiller cabinet) can be folded and grilled 'calzione' style. Bacon and eggs can be cooked without adding fat and voilá - breakfast for one!! As a bonus, thanks to the smooth non-stick surface, it cuts down on washing-up too. Just wipe down the plates with a dampened kitchen towel after use (whilst the grill is still warm) and watch the grime lift off (no detergent required).

So impressed, we're just about to order two more for presents...
on 27 January 2007
I bought one of these just before Xmas (although it was a lot cheaper then) and it's been everything the other reviewers said. It makes great sandwiches, takes very little time to heat up (nothing like the 10mins it says on the box), and cleaning is no hassle. I would recommend it to anyone who loves panini. By the way, some good recipes that I have found so far include brie with cranberry relish, wensleydale with onion relish and grated carrot, and blue cheese and walnuts. Runny cheeses work best, but even cheddar is good.
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2004
Makes great toasted sandwiches in a matter of about 5 minutes - longer than this and the inside of the sandwich will come oozing out. Don't worry though - my favourite thing about this press is how quick and easy it is to clean. If I can just find somewhere that sells paninis now.......
on 25 July 2006
I must admit I wasnt sure when I got this product. I thought it would cut and seal the sandwiches but the plates are flat so it cannot cut/seal. However this does not stop this from being a fantastic sandwich maker. I have never seen such evenly toasted bread, toasted sarnies are lovely and the pressing action keeps it all together. I will never go back to a cut/seal one as the flat plates are a joy to clean.

See one answered question