5.0 out of 5 stars It Works With BT Home Hub
Published on 14 Feb. 2010 by M. G. Chisholm

2.0 out of 5 stars OK while it lasts
This switch was very good while it lasted, however after about a year it is now dead. I have also used Dlink and linksys switches with debatable results. (A number of Failures)Think I might try a Cisco 100 switch, in the hope that they are more for the long term than their Linksys switches.
Published on 3 Aug. 2012 by Lark Associates

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works With BT Home Hub, 14 Feb. 2010
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this as a last resort trying get an ethernet switch that would work with the BT Home Hub without requiring a PhD in computer science. I've tried a couple of switches including a fairly expensive Linksys one to no avail. Tried setting the access and security settings and could see the various units enabled on the Home Hub setup page. Nothing seemed to work. And I don't think that I'm the only one with issues given the monumental pile of frustration built up on various forums regarding the BT Home Hub.

Anyway I decided to aim low. By that I meant a switch which is as basic as you can find but also a decent brand name. Hopefully I figured by avoiding all the bells and whistles that many switching devices have it would work.

And it does. It comes with no software - a bonus in my mind and almost no instructions beyond plug it in. I did and it works. No setup, no messing around setting up the Home Hub online access or any other nonsense. I plugged in the internet cable from port 4 on my hub and the computer cable into the switch. Powered up and 60 seconds later I could surf as normal but with the added advantage of a few extra ports for the plethora of computers I have at home plus all the other internet based systems one accrues such as a PS3 and BT Vision box. I'm chuffed to bits and if I could give this a big sloppy kiss after all the previous frustrations I would.

Anyway a bit more info. It's small - about the size of a couple of cigarette packets. It's really well made - and by that I mean it's in a solid steel case and looks quite industrial. Nothing fancy but has a good workmanlike design.

Bottom line is that it provides four extra access points to the net - plus home networking of course - with no fuss at all even with a BT Home Hub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, 31 Dec. 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: NETGEAR GS108UK 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:48 Mins

I purchased this to replace an old 10/100 switch as it only had 4 ports.

Very pleased, it feels like a premium product (my last one was a cheap creaky plastic device).

Setup was nice and easy, just plug everything in and off you go!

There really isn't too much more to say about this, it's a nice simple bit of kit. I use it with a Virgin Media Superhub 2 and haven't had any issues at all. Perfect for popping behind the TV, I currently use it with the TV, amp, NAS, Xbox, blu-ray player and Tivo and have room to expand whenever I get around to buying a new console/gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so good it's boring!, 10 April 2008
Netgear defines quality when it comes network switches(at a fair price).

I've not come across another company that has set customer expectations as follows: "your network will be up and running in 10-15mins". From opening the package to connecting 5 network units took less than 7 mins and all worked fine first time. No noise, no fans, auto senses 100Mb and Gb network devices, gets a bit warm but nothing to worry about; could not be happier.

Only negative is that it worked so well so quickly, I just did not get enough time to play with it. Had four computers accessing a storage device, the transfer rates were excellent, the switch took everything I threw at it - certainly proved it was not going to be the weakest link on the network.

Definitely recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, competent, robust and good value, 22 Feb. 2008
Having bought two of these for a home system (instead of the 8 port version), the unit does what is says on the data sheet. Why buy? well, the purchase was on the basis of reliable use of these units for commerical purposes over many years.

It is not the cheapest five port unit you can get, and it still needs to use an external power supply (internal would be better, but that costs more - see the 8-port version).

Using its 1GBit LAN has allowed a home 1GBit NAS to be more of a pleasure to use.

Any units now purchased come with a lifetime warranty (two years for the external PSU) - lifetime support is what consumers want.

The unit is in a metal case and this reduces any RFI noise as well as making it more robust. All switches should come in metal enclosures, rather than some of the flimsy plastic units at the very cheap end of the marketplace.

You should not have any problems with this unit. If it is like the others purchased and used, it will work for years quietly and efficiently.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK while it lasts, 3 Aug. 2012
Lark Associates (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Blinking lights of doom, 7 Mar. 2009
I've had one of these for a while now, and recently suffered what is known as the "Blinking lights of death" problem where the switch stops working and all the LEDS blink on and off.

If you search for this problem (flashing LEDs GS108 etc) you'll soon find that it's not a matter of "if" this happens but "when", however the process is sped up by having more than 2 devices attached to it.

The problem is caused by Netgear using two poor quality (perhaps under specified?) electrolytic capacitors in the switch. These fail and cause the switch to stop working. Repairing these isn't a major task if you're comfortable with de-soldering/soldering etc but frankly you shouldn't be forced to be a position of having to even consider this!

Do a search on problems regarding this switch before you purchase one at least you'll then be unsurprised when it eventually fails.

I should say though, the switch does perform as advertised when it's working..

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear GS116/16, 19 April 2009
M. Robson "Mark Robson" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace a Linksys/Cisco Giga Switch which after being purchased new stopped working after two weeks and failed to be repaired by Linksys after 2 months. Urgent purchase of Netgear and it was shipped next day, plugged in and worked first time and hasn't stopped working since.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blinkey Lights, 29 July 2013
Well, got this a week ago. Plugged it in yesterday. All SEEMED to work, for about four hours, where the switch just decided 'Nope, I'm not going to work' and just downed all its connections (so ALL of the lights went off apart from the power one). Reboot fixed this. Until four hours later, same thing. Thought 'okay, its getting settled in, no biggie'.

Woke up and observed the switch (as its in my bedroom) and well, lights were blinking. Four hours + Four hours + (I presume) another four hours and the switch has packed up. Decided to exchange this switch for a ProSafe Plus 8 port as I've had three of these (two before) which have met the same death.

This problem (I believe) has been around for a while, Netgear should really address this. But, still never going to deviate from buying Netgear for network/router equipment, hardly have any problems apart from this product (considering I've had my fair share of Netgear routers and other kit).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reliable switch, 27 Feb. 2013
I've been in IT for nearly 20 years, and for the small office or home environment, you simply can't beat this little workhorse. You don't need to do anything special - just plug it in and expand your little network. I can certainly vouch for their reliability (I've seen these running peristently for years in some pretty dusty trade counter environments, so most homes won't be overly challenging) and their small form factor and quietness makes them unobtrusive and convenient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 7 Dec. 2006
Simon Taylor (Farnborough, England) - See all my reviews
OK, it's a switch (which means it's like a hub, but allows a mixture of 10MB, 100MB and 1GB connections without slowing anything down).

It's small, neat, needs no configuration. I upgraded to a 1GB switch as I'm now using a network attached RAID system for storage of photographs. moving gigabytes of data around at 100MB gets tedious (and almost comatose over wireless LAN 802.11g), so the 1GB network upgrade was a must. As a result it's better performance than using a USB 2 drive.

Connects to my router, wireless access points and computers no problem. Runs a little warm, but having used it for four months so far, I've had no problems at all. It's never locked up or anything in that time.