5.0 out of 5 stars It Works With BT Home Hub
Published on 14 Feb. 2010 by M. G. Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy PSU...great switch
Decent quality switch, very stable.

Sadly working in a small business, I have to sit in close proximity to the device, and I have to say the power supply for this unit makes the most awful high pitched whine. Its an external transformer type.

Published on 27 Jan. 2013 by Cg /¬¬/

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works With BT Home Hub, 14 Feb. 2010
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this as a last resort trying get an ethernet switch that would work with the BT Home Hub without requiring a PhD in computer science. I've tried a couple of switches including a fairly expensive Linksys one to no avail. Tried setting the access and security settings and could see the various units enabled on the Home Hub setup page. Nothing seemed to work. And I don't think that I'm the only one with issues given the monumental pile of frustration built up on various forums regarding the BT Home Hub.

Anyway I decided to aim low. By that I meant a switch which is as basic as you can find but also a decent brand name. Hopefully I figured by avoiding all the bells and whistles that many switching devices have it would work.

And it does. It comes with no software - a bonus in my mind and almost no instructions beyond plug it in. I did and it works. No setup, no messing around setting up the Home Hub online access or any other nonsense. I plugged in the internet cable from port 4 on my hub and the computer cable into the switch. Powered up and 60 seconds later I could surf as normal but with the added advantage of a few extra ports for the plethora of computers I have at home plus all the other internet based systems one accrues such as a PS3 and BT Vision box. I'm chuffed to bits and if I could give this a big sloppy kiss after all the previous frustrations I would.

Anyway a bit more info. It's small - about the size of a couple of cigarette packets. It's really well made - and by that I mean it's in a solid steel case and looks quite industrial. Nothing fancy but has a good workmanlike design.

Bottom line is that it provides four extra access points to the net - plus home networking of course - with no fuss at all even with a BT Home Hub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, 31 Dec. 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: NETGEAR GS108UK 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with Lifetime Warranty (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:48 Mins

I purchased this to replace an old 10/100 switch as it only had 4 ports.

Very pleased, it feels like a premium product (my last one was a cheap creaky plastic device).

Setup was nice and easy, just plug everything in and off you go!

There really isn't too much more to say about this, it's a nice simple bit of kit. I use it with a Virgin Media Superhub 2 and haven't had any issues at all. Perfect for popping behind the TV, I currently use it with the TV, amp, NAS, Xbox, blu-ray player and Tivo and have room to expand whenever I get around to buying a new console/gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so good it's boring!, 10 April 2008
Netgear defines quality when it comes network switches(at a fair price).

I've not come across another company that has set customer expectations as follows: "your network will be up and running in 10-15mins". From opening the package to connecting 5 network units took less than 7 mins and all worked fine first time. No noise, no fans, auto senses 100Mb and Gb network devices, gets a bit warm but nothing to worry about; could not be happier.

Only negative is that it worked so well so quickly, I just did not get enough time to play with it. Had four computers accessing a storage device, the transfer rates were excellent, the switch took everything I threw at it - certainly proved it was not going to be the weakest link on the network.

Definitely recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, competent, robust and good value, 22 Feb. 2008
Having bought two of these for a home system (instead of the 8 port version), the unit does what is says on the data sheet. Why buy? well, the purchase was on the basis of reliable use of these units for commerical purposes over many years.

It is not the cheapest five port unit you can get, and it still needs to use an external power supply (internal would be better, but that costs more - see the 8-port version).

Using its 1GBit LAN has allowed a home 1GBit NAS to be more of a pleasure to use.

Any units now purchased come with a lifetime warranty (two years for the external PSU) - lifetime support is what consumers want.

The unit is in a metal case and this reduces any RFI noise as well as making it more robust. All switches should come in metal enclosures, rather than some of the flimsy plastic units at the very cheap end of the marketplace.

You should not have any problems with this unit. If it is like the others purchased and used, it will work for years quietly and efficiently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Simple to Use Quality Product, 17 Mar. 2013
I've now got two of these network switches in different parts of the house to expand my routers network ports from four to twelve. One is located in the TV cabinet, supplying wired Ethernet to my TV, sky + HD box and a Blu-ray player. The other is located in my office to supply a wired network to my printer, multimedia server, desktop and laptop docking station. They literally are "plug and play " and require no preconfiguration all you do is connect an Ethernet cable from your router and then connect upto four more other Ethernet cables to devices you want to connect to the network, plug in the power lead and switch on. It's as simple as that! No real IT expertise is required, it stays realitvely cool and has no fan so is absolutely quiet. The lights on the front give you an indication of maximum throughput speeds for each device. There are cheaper alternatives out there that are plastic, but this one is a quality metal case which is built to last. I was very impressed with the first one I bought a year ago, so bought a second one when I needed to expand my network further. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to expand their wired network.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy PSU...great switch, 27 Jan. 2013
Decent quality switch, very stable.

Perhaps many of you won't be near to your switch, or maybe you just not sensitive to this type of noise, but for me the sound became unbearable.

I sold it on and replaced it with a TP-link TL-SG1008 which has mains direct into the unit and operates in almost total silence.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blinking lights of doom, 7 Mar. 2009
I've had one of these for a while now, and recently suffered what is known as the "Blinking lights of death" problem where the switch stops working and all the LEDS blink on and off.

If you search for this problem (flashing LEDs GS108 etc) you'll soon find that it's not a matter of "if" this happens but "when", however the process is sped up by having more than 2 devices attached to it.

The problem is caused by Netgear using two poor quality (perhaps under specified?) electrolytic capacitors in the switch. These fail and cause the switch to stop working. Repairing these isn't a major task if you're comfortable with de-soldering/soldering etc but frankly you shouldn't be forced to be a position of having to even consider this!

Do a search on problems regarding this switch before you purchase one at least you'll then be unsurprised when it eventually fails.

I should say though, the switch does perform as advertised when it's working..

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear GS116/16, 19 April 2009
M. Robson "Mark Robson" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace a Linksys/Cisco Giga Switch which after being purchased new stopped working after two weeks and failed to be repaired by Linksys after 2 months. Urgent purchase of Netgear and it was shipped next day, plugged in and worked first time and hasn't stopped working since.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK while it lasts, 3 Aug. 2012
Lark Associates (UK) - See all my reviews
This switch was very good while it lasted, however after about a year it is now dead. I have also used Dlink and linksys switches with debatable results. (A number of Failures)Think I might try a Cisco 100 switch, in the hope that they are more for the long term than their Linksys switches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 7 Dec. 2006
Simon Taylor (Farnborough, England) - See all my reviews
OK, it's a switch (which means it's like a hub, but allows a mixture of 10MB, 100MB and 1GB connections without slowing anything down).

It's small, neat, needs no configuration. I upgraded to a 1GB switch as I'm now using a network attached RAID system for storage of photographs. moving gigabytes of data around at 100MB gets tedious (and almost comatose over wireless LAN 802.11g), so the 1GB network upgrade was a must. As a result it's better performance than using a USB 2 drive.

Connects to my router, wireless access points and computers no problem. Runs a little warm, but having used it for four months so far, I've had no problems at all. It's never locked up or anything in that time.