The Best Of Ultravox
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£4.80+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 29 May 2009
I basically bought this item for the DVD. The past Ultravox DVD which was the same as the VHS complilation is nowhere as BRILLIANT as this DVD.

I had to buy this as soon as I saw "Sleepwalk" Live from St Albans 1980. This performance and version is so raw electronic and shows how pioneering Electronic/Synth and New Romantic was at the time and how influencial it still is. "Sleepwalk" is certainly without a doubt, one of the very best Ultravox tracks, and I am glad it has showed up on this DVD!!! I am also THRILLED that "Vienna" is featured from the same show from 1980. It's an immaculate and ever so beautifully haunting live performance. I am glad I finally have it in great condition and sound*

Another gemm here is a perfomace from "Top Of The Pops" of "All Stood Still". I love when TOTP footage is included on dvd's, and this is one fantastic piece from the BBC archives. Other highlights are "Visions In Blue", my favourite Ultravox single, and amazing choreography dance routine with such androgyny displayed. Of course "The Thin Wall", "Passing Strangers", "Vienna", "Hymn" and all the rest from Ultravox is here. The menu is also quite lovely, very impressed indeed!

As far as the cd is concerned, it is very nice to see that "White China" is included, another masterpiece from the a la fantastique "ULTRAVOX"
on 3 April 2009
Ahead of their upcoming reunion live dates comes the most definitive Midge Ure-era Ultravox collection to date. It combines an 18 track CD with a 72 minute 17 track DVD - all at a value for money price.

The CD chronologically covers the band's single releases from 1980's debut 'Sleepwalk' through to 1986's non-charting 'All In One Day'. All their UK chart entries are present, including the Top 10 hits 'Vienna', 'All Stood Still' and 'Dancing With Tears In My Eyes' - the underrated 'White China' from 1984's Lament is also here. 11 of the 18 cuts appear in "single version" form.

The DVD immediately renders the previously released Ultravox - The Collection [DVD] [1984]obsolete. The videos here have a very sharp picture and the sound is fully remastered. The 11 promo videos from "The Collection" are joined by the videos for the two U-Vox album singles - 'Same Old Story' and 'All Fall Down'. The other additions are superb live recordings of 'Sleepwalk' and 'Vienna' from St Albans in August 1980 (the uncut version of the classic 'Vienna' promo video is also here), the uncensored 'Visions In Blue' video, and a Top Of The Pops performance of 'All Stood Still' (a promo was not made for this track).

Packaging is fairly minimal with an 8 page booklet including full credits and a photo of the band. Overall this is a very impressive release - the best entry point for any newcomers and the DVD makes it an essential buy for fans.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been fan of Midge and the boys since the late 80's when they were at their prime. Sadly, they were not one of the popular bands, but did have a hardcore following. I purchased their greatest hits on video, but sadly time took its toll and it became unuseable.
This set combines two great aspects - their best hits remastered, and also the hits on DVD format. Both are of excellent quality.
Who can forget the haunting melody of "Vienna" or the sense of unease when watching/listening to "Dancing With Tears in My Eyes". Thankfully history took a different course, and youngsters today would not really understand the meaning behind the song.

So, who would I recommend this to?
Anyone who had more than a passing interest in the music of Ultravox, or the electro genre in general.
Each of the tracks is instantly recognisable, albeit some of the lyrics are confusing.....but very listenable nevertheless.
There isn't much more I can add really. This music and video making has stood the test of time. The guys have also reformed and are again touring. I have heard some of their later music, and it has developed over time, so if you have enjoyed the more recent offerings, I would say this would be a real eye opener as to what they were about back in the 80's.

I remember buying their singles on 12" vinyl. Now if they were to bring an album out of those versions I would be first in the queue :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 November 2009
The Very Best Of Ultravox
The official Ultravox website forward me to Amazon UK showing all the details of where to buy. Just as well, as I went to loads of stores in my home town in New Zealand, but no luck finding this release or any mention of tours, new remastered works etc.
If you have heard of Ultravox before I expect this to be more of the same. Would be good to have most obscure Ultravox songs in one collection with music promos alongside. I think people worry too much about the 'perfection' of the sound; life is about the wrinkles, in sound just as much in picture form. Let's hear and see the warts and all.
Great delivery all in one piece / relatively quick and not too bad considering the distance / exchange between UK and NZ.
The Very Best of Ultravox, has simple packaging and worth the cost for both music CD and DVD. The same old story seems to be the weakest of all the videos, but does show the changing dynamic of the group overall in the visual record in the music promos. Tracing the years from punk cross over into new romantics, advance into guitar rock, then easy listening - does give an informal "time line sense" of Ultravox put together for the listener. It shows the audience could never say that Ultravox didn't try new things though have to remember this is a collection of 'best of' only from the UK perspective as they don't appear to be big in the USA.
Note: the lyrics could be for any time which says this needs a refreshed listen / look at the energy and sound that Ultravox are.
Again on about the great sound, and best played loud - as there is no distortion - my neighbours can agree.
For a new fan member, this is great! I agree - a good starting point for any collection to listen / view the sound of Ultravox... now for some more to purchase. Ah, yes what's next 'Rage in Eden' perhaps!
on 8 May 2009
With the 80's making a revival and Ultravox reforming for their Return To Eden Tour, this is a welcome release. For people who have never heard of them, it's a brilliant buy. If you're a fan, there's nothing new here, with most of the tracks having been recently released on the remastered Vienna, Rage In Eden and Quartet albums. What I do like about this release is the DVD with all the their videos included. Being a fan and a completist, it's a value for money buy...but I'm awaiting for the brilliant Lament album to be released next...watch this space.
on 15 May 2009
Bought this of the back of the recent reunion concert in Edinburgh that I went to with my son. Previously had all the albums on vinyl. Listening to these songs again has rekindled an interest in the music and a urge to buy at least Vienna and Rage in Eden again on CD. Suppose it depends what this music means to you and how it forms part of your life's soundtrack. This was an exciting time for me first time round and this has brought it back. My son loves Dancing With Tears In My Eyes.
on 29 November 2012
The CD contains all the best known songs by Ultravox in the 80s (Vienna is actually '79) in their classic formation (with Midge Ure as lead vocals).
What's nice is that the songs are put in a chronological order, what I think every best of should do.
Personally I would have kept out 3 songs and put there other 3 songs but that's my taste, all the hits are there.
I went to an Ultravox concert only 3 weeks ago (they reunited after more than 20 years) and so I appreciate these songs even more. Only one thing, I would have preferred the song Hymn to be the longer album version and not the single version one (well in the concert it was more like the longer one).
Anyway a great purchase also given the price (I paid 5,19 GBP) and the DVD (some original video of the songs and some live versions).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Hearing lots of these songs played live on tour in Manchester made me rush out the next day to buy it. I can't think of anything missing from the hits CD at all. It's marvelous. The DVD also is an update - if I recall correctly - of 'The Collection', which was previously only available on VHS.

Madness are cited as being one of the UK's best bands ever when it came to the use of video pronos. Ultravox were certainly no slouches and they are all fantastically watchable, superbly filmed and just brimming with great ideas, as well as fantastic music. Great to see two live tracks added to the start of the DVD.

Happily recommended.

They can't just do a one-off tour this year and not carry on!
We need a second volume of hits to follow this!!!
on 26 May 2009
Seeing them live recently and hearing this album makes you appreciate how good a band Ultravox was and still are.Very good performances on DVD and great CD.
on 5 May 2010
Hopefully many more bands will release a similar type of package. Haven't listened to the CD as I already have the previous greatest hits, but this is worth buying for the DVD alone. Just what you want to see - all the videos with decent sound, and no hunting for easter eggs or glaring omissions to mark the compilation down a star (unlike say the Duran Duran equivalent). The only quibble would be it seems to be DVD5 and not 9 for some reason. Highlights have to be Vienna, which looks remarkably fresh 30 years on, and also the uncensored version of Visions Of Blue (had they been watching Duran Duran's 'The Chauffeur' before making it?). Fantastic compilation and 5 stars.