Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 March 2005
This collection of Stephin Merritt compositions is a perfect introduction to one of the USA's most talented songwriters and performers. Under the guise of The Magnetic Fields, The Gothic Archies, Future Bible Heroes or indie supergroup experiment The 6th, Merritt has been expressing the complexities of modern love for nearly 15 years. While you could accuse this soundtrack of being slight, at a little under 30 minutes; the tracks here feel more consistant than 2004's 'i's 'chamber pop', and less overwhelming for Merritt first timers than his masterpiece under The Magnetic Fields name, 69 Love Songs (from which 3 songs are taken).
The 5 new compositions are worth the price alone. 'All I want to know', possibly Merritt's best vocal to date, is as lush as 'Heather Heather' is noisy and discordant bubblegum pop. 'Stray with me', an ode (like many of Merritt compositions)to uncommitted relationships, which Merritt always expresses so well. While 'One April Day', the main theme of the movie is a sparse, mainly instrumental, uke led jewel reminicant of 69 Love Songs 'The Book Of Love'. The best soundtrack album ever...?
It is certainly the definitive Merritt sampler... From Here? 69 Love Songs then... The Charm of the Highway Strip then... The Wayward Bus!
All equally recommended!
on 20 May 2016
Stephin Merritt is awesome. This CD's a great compilation of some of Merritt's best work. My favourites are 'You You You You You', 'One April Day', 'Heather Heather', 'I Think I Need a New Heart, and 'The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side'. I love it.
on 8 March 2004
I bought Pieces of April on the basis that I like Stephen Merritt's work, and his writing is as good as ever on this album- BUT it is a very short CD, especially compared to the epic proportions of his 69 Love Songs album. Also, some of the songs have appeared elsewhere in the past, hence three stars rather than five. I guess I wanted Huge Pieces of April, not the Little Bits you get here.