5.0 out of 5 stars Live=More Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Live=More Fun, 21 Dec 2003
GPickup (Salford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
X-Box Live is the programme required by the X-Box to connect to multiplaying gaming. Its easy to setup (insert disc, enter some details and its set up) and adds tons of fun to games that have live enabled (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Mech Assault). Playing on Live is a brilliant experience that all gamers should feel and as you're competing against other humans the thrill of winning is also enhanced.
Live also allows new add-ons for games to be download (once again though it only works on Live enabled games). These vary from brand new missions (Splinter Cell), to maps (Brute Force, Mech Assault) and variations of weapons.
X-Box live comes with a one year subscription included in its price but after a year requires extending for the service to still be used. Also required is a broadband internet connection via a ethernet modem (I recommend at least a 512kbs connection or my preferred connection of 1mbs - as a faster connection means less lag).
All in all Live adds a whole new dimension to gaming and is worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, and worth the money, 17 Oct 2004
Mark E. Cooper "Fantasybooks" (STANFORD-LE-HOPE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
I've had xbox live for over a year, and on the whole it has been worth the money I paid for the starter kit. I've managed not to break the headset, which has been a problem for many, and I agree it is very flimsily constructed. For the money though, you can't expect more -- the ability to network with other gamers around the world, and download new content for your games is worth the money without the headset, so you can't really complain about a free unit, can you?

One thing that did happen to me I would like to share: I was laid up a very ill for a while, and consequently I didn't keep my xbox live details up to date when they change. It completely slipped my mind to update them with my new credit card number, and because my ISP changed around then, they couldn't tell me when the subscription ran out. In short, my account was cancelled and locked, so I lost my gamer tag and the stats I built up.

You can't reuse the subscription number you get with this kit. Once it's been used, you have to get a new kit like me to start again. So please, remember to keep your details up to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox Live Rocks, 5 Feb 2004
Belarusin (Luton, Bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
I have to admit after spending countless hours on counterstike on the pc this cannot compare to the sheer briliance of xbox live and for example rainbow six. Communicating between friends, enemies and teammates is truly awesome as too is the gameplay (software specific) itself shows hardly any lag and is just a blast to play. The underpinning work that Microsoft has put into Xbox live should be congratulated, where are you Sony?
You gotta be good though as there is a high level of competition on live especially on fps games and top spin. All in all a very good online package that comes highly recomended to anyone that wants to take multiplayer gaming to the next level, every Xbox owner should be on live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 April 2004
Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant!!!!
This bit of kit is the most amazingthing I have ever experienced in gaming.
Last night I raced against 4Americas, a Dutchman and two English people on Project Gotham, had afirefight against 15 other's on Rainbow Six, then enjoyed a leisurelyround of golf with a Texan on Links 2004, discussing everything from theweather to Iraq as we played.
If you own an Xbox and have a broadbandconnection, you really must get Xbox Live - It's truly amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Credit Card Details and Xbox Live, 15 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
Just a word to the wise about credit card details and recurring direct credit agreements i.e. How Xbox live want you to continue paying for the service after 12mths. The credit card agreement you enter into appears like a direct debit i.e. they debit your card directly however, it is not and you do not have any of the legal protections afforded to you by DD agreements especially wrt stopping payments. Xbox will notify you prior to debiting your CC and you can decide to discontinue. But if you do not write to them by registered mail to back this up, you have no proof you have done this and if they subsequently debit your CC anyway, you have to pay. I got caught out with freeserve/wannadoo and my CC company said they would have to honour the payment even if I had cancelled the card unless I could prove I had cancelled the service (hence the advice from the CC company to send a registered letter). I did not have written proof that I had terminated the agreement and therefore had to pay the extra few months (much irritation). For information really as if a company has decent customer services then it should never be a problem, just I never realised the difference between DDs on CC's and DD's on Bank Accounts and its funny how lots of companies want to set up DDs on your CC these days.
PS Xbox Live itself is great and easy to setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't do better than this, 12 May 2004
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
I've played xbox live for over a year now, and I have to honestly say I've never played on anything as good since.
Forget the competitors efforts to produce an online service as an afterthought, xbox has produced a strong service, that continues to get better. Even if you neglect the quality of games already in existence (including my personal favourites PGR2 and Ghost recon), you cannot be anything but impressed with what is coming out on live in the future.
And at the price you can get a starter kit with amazon, there is really no excuse if you already own an xbox and broadband.
You had best make a lot of room in your life if you get xbox live - it is very addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... This is not a product, it's an experience, 24 May 2004
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
Sometimes a product meets your expectations. Often it does not. However, very rarely does something exceed your wildest expectations. There are three things in my life that have done this: the original Playstation (9 years ago), my wife (who is gathering less dust than my Playstation) and X-Box Live.
I had Broadband installed for me on Saturday morning and within hours was on Live. It would have been minutes except that neither Microsoft nor Telewest (who told me on the phone, correctly, that they were X-Box Live compatible) had mentioned that I had to phone Telewest technical support to tell them my X-Box 'Mac' number. So be warned that installation may not be straight-forward!
But once you're set up you'll be hooked for hours. I stuck Project Gotham Racing 2 in the drive and searched for a Quick-Match. This landed me in a lobby and the X-Box Live Communicator crackled into life as a girl from Manchester asked me what cars we should drive. The Communicator allows for telephone-quality conversation ie its not CD quality but it IS clear and there is no delay. Thirty seconds later I was driving against her, a couple of Americans and a Scotsman. I had fears that it might be jerky or delayed in some way but it ran as one-player does: fast and smooth. I lost, which was somewhat satisfying seeing as I had never lost at a driving game before: finally I know that there ARE people in the world who are better drivers than me! (At the moment anyway.)
Later that night I played Unreal Championship against some Koreans. We didn't understand each other at all as my Korean vocabulary is about as good as yours. However, it was somewhat satisfying when, as I killed them, they obviously swore at me. If I played them for longer my vocabulary of Korean swear words would no doubt increase.
But Project Gotham 2 is where I spend most of my time and the element that makes this product stand out as an unmissable experience is this: Respect. The mutual respect as you race against International players is, as our American friends would say, "Awesome". After a tense 3-minute fight over a position only to lose it on the final bend is frustrating but as you compliment your competitor on a good race, and here his/her genuine thanks, you know you will race 'just once more' before going to bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing to happen to gaming, 11 Feb 2004
Graham Dorrian (Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
Live is amazing. Voice changes everything. You feel silly at first, but pretty soon, playing online without voice just seems wrong. Without it you might as well be playing against bots. Friends lists and gamertags complete the perfect online service. Get it now. You'll not regret it. Oh, and someone mentioned the headset being poor. Not so. It's excellent. Well made, comfy, good sound, excellent mic. If you wear it properly, then the neck band will be just that, down near your neck, and you can lean back, head against the couch all you like. Though with Live, you'll be on the edge of your seat. I've had mine a year now and have just ordered my new subscription.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gaming at a new level!, 12 Aug 2004
E. Greenwood "Blue Rover" (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
I've had an Xbox for a while now and although I own a PC and the other main consoles, the Xbox has always been my favourite. Finally I decided to get online with Live! as I found out with a network card and a crossover ethernet cable I could easily connect to Live! All I have is a USB modem and I already had Broadband (Pipex) so all in all not much outlay to enjoy the delights of online Xbox gaming.
I must admit to some problems when I tried to connect and I must say the help I received from Xbox Live Support seemed more like guess work from those I spoke to and weren't even sure that Pipex was supported. So it took my using various forums to get my problem sorted out which was a little frustrating hence only fours stars.
That said and done the effort sorting it out was more than justified when I started playing Project Gotham racing 2 and Moto GP 2 online. Its so easy to find a game just to dive into it and with all the online scoreboards you can see how you rate in the world!! The headset is comfortable and solid and fits in the expansion port of the controller and there are numerous options to alter your voice settings.
As mentioned in a previous review you have to put your credit card details in on sign up to not only affect automatic renewal of your subscription but some downloadable content may be charged for (e.g £2.99 gets you a new track and seven new cars). I didn't feel this was an issue but its worth bearing in mind.
I can only feel that having Live will further the lifespan of any game and in some cases the progress in offline and online games compliment each other and with the likes of Halo 2 and Star Wars Battlefront on the way its an even better reason to get Live!
All in all, I can only highly recommend getting Live! and I am sure that many people set it up with no problems (in fact my problem was I had shared my network connection but forgot to share my internet connection...der!) so it may be unfair to mark down but thats my personal experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars XBox Live..., 30 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ two demos (Video Game)
I bought my XBox last 26th March, I'm now using the 2 month trial that came with the console as I'm waiting for my kit, I find XBox Live the best, because I also have PS2 Online, but XBox Live is much better, and as for paying for download's, that's not like it anymore, I downloaded cars and some tracks for Midtown Madness 3 and I didn't pay anything, and I gave some friends that have XBox Live for a time, and they download much things for their XBox Hard Drive and they didn't pay a thing!
So, everyone, don't worry about this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›