5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Get Better Than This
Anthony Hamilton's now 4th studio album for most will be his debut. Either way this is album stands out among a sea of neo-soul artists. His rootsy, gospel approach to neo-soul/r&b gives him a sense of genuiness (he writes and produces most tracks) that is unparalleled among male artists for the most part by capturing that essence of soulful urban music...
Published on 2 Jan 2006 by lcollens

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Down, People! This Is Just Okay
So what do I make of this CD, especially after reading all the other reviews? I find myself stuck in the middle. While it's nowhere near the magnum opus some people think it is, Anthony Hamilton's "Comin' From Where I'm From" isn't as bad as others claim. It's a very passable CD, with a few high points, but with more filler than I'd care to see. It's clear that Hamilton's...
Published on 1 Oct 2004 by Burjiz

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Aug 2005
V. Ryan (London Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comin' From Where I'm From (Audio CD)
Claimed to be one of the greatest soul albums of the last 10 years. I'd have to disagree with that. Its good, and its good because Anthony Hamilton possesses an awesome voice which has got a Bill Withers feel about it.
Raw and full of emotions he could sing the words on the back of a shampoo bottle and make it sound fantastic and oh so soulful.
The tracks on there are indifferent. There are some out of this world songs and then some average middle of the road ones.
"Mama Knew Love" Kicks off the set. More of a hip hop feel than the other tracks, but once that voice hits, your attention is grabbed. "Cornbread Fish and Collared Greens" is clever in its lyrics but lacks a real platform for Hamilton's voice to be heard to its full potential.
"Since I seen't You" is better on that scale. The frail sounding deep south voice is beautiful as its rides over a down tempo tune. "Charlene" is a continuation of that, and probably one of the albums finests moments. Again lyrically its clever and Hamilton proves he is a good story teller.
"Im a Mess" is a soulful swayer with heartfelt lyrics performed to perfection. The Title Track "Comin From Where Im From" gives us an insight in to his childhood and how it effects his life now. Again great lyrics, great vocal ability as he doesn't go to over the top. Nice hook, great song.
"Better Days" is a continuation of that.
But the tracks absolute stormer is track 8. Now this album is worth buying for this alone. "Lucille" is one of the most beautiful tracks I've ever heard. Another fantastic lyrical song, but its that voice once again that makes it's a great song. Superb in fact. I've had that on repeat many times.
"Float" is quite average, nothing new going on this one. Nice enough, voice again is top notch. Same can be said for the duet with Latoya Williams on "My First Love". Just kind of middle of the road.
"Chyna Black" has the same sort of feel as "Lucille" with the acoustic gutiar playing in the background, although the chorus becomes more upbeat. "I Tried" is the final track, which is more blues in its style and has a Ray Charles feel about it.
Overall, it's a very good debut album and I can't wait to here more from this very talented singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anothony Hamilton - Comming From Where I'm From, 26 Aug 2004
H. Belcher "hanzb04" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comin' From Where I'm From (Audio CD)
Yet again i jumped into buying an album i had only heard one song from. But it had a pretty cover so all was good. The first single, Comming From Where I'm From, was an outstanding effort. I fell in love with his rough smokey voice straight away, his soulful style sent shivers down my spine. He's not so well known over here in the UK, but has featured on tracks by 2Pac, and most recently Twista's new single Sunshine.
Little did i know though that behind this poignant soul/hiphop first single, was a world known only as musical heaven. Every song on this album makes a difference, my personal favourites being Mama Knew Love, Cornbread Fish & Collard Greens, Charlene, Commin' From Where I'm From, Lucille and Chyna Black.
I apoligise for being so dramatic in explaining how fantastic this album is, but you need to know because it will do more harm then good not buying it. I mean without this, then my neigbours would be being made to listen to abnoxious artists like D12, Nas or DMX, which i had previously turned on to full blast in my garden! Just think of this album as a gift to your neighbours.
But going back to the more serious and dramatic reviewer i started as, this album has something for everyone, it's soul, hip hop, blues, R'n'B and even pop, all in one. He's one of the most gifted artists i've heard in a long time, and sings with such ease and rhythm, he deserves every bit of praise he gets!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Album, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: Comin' From Where I'm From (Audio CD)
Anthony Hamilton is a tremendous talent and this album is a testament to that the vocals the writing and the slick production all work together to make a very good album. as far as Anthony Hamiltons voice is concerned I was a huge H-Town so I'm as big a fan of Anthony's vocals as I am of his writing skills and to me he sounds a lot like Keven 'Dino' Conner except for AH's frequent use of his falsetto. Yet the album has to be one of the strongest debuts I can remember in modern R&B...Man I miss the mid 90's pure swing and texturizer, ahh remeniscing....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, 11 Jun 2014
Sajn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't know why but I hadn't heard any of his songs before and recently came across one of his songs on Youtube which in turn led me to this album. What can I say? It is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. My current favorites are Coming from where I'm from, Chyna Black and Mama knew love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hamilton, 14 May 2014
Love all his music and was glad to get all his albums. My type of music and always playing the albums regularly

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 13 Dec 2013
just the music to get you in the mood, he has written for several artist but never showed his true potential until he came out with his own album.
apart from that the service i had was just perferct

4.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Hamilton, coming from where am from., 28 Nov 2013
I wanted it as a gift and was happy that it came within a few days of me placing the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Hamilton is the best, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Comin' From Where I'm From (Audio CD)
If your looking for good music, this is your man. I have bought other albums and this is right up there with the rest. I would highly recommend, buy now as this album can be difficult to get hold of.

5.0 out of 5 stars VOICE OF AN ANGEL, 5 Oct 2012
'Charlene' was the first song of Anthony Hamiltons I listened to, and I fell in love INSTANTLY. Moving on swiftly to 'Float,' I quickly realised this man was one of a kind. His voice and music OOZE soul. The music out there today that claims to be "R'N'B" is laughable - Mr hamilton however is one of the few artists of the 00's - that understands the true meaning of the word and how to commit it to the music he makes. His voice literally takes me to my own place of relaxation, where I can just make reality disappear. Trully talented individual - recommend all of his music!! AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 9 Feb 2004
This review is from: Comin' From Where I'm From (Audio CD)
Well I took as risk buying this album having heard only the title track "Comin' From Where I'm From" but I liked the style of this soulful southern blues style and so I did some homework and many media sources told me the rest of the album was no different.
So I ordered it via Amazon and it came two days after its release, I played it and just turned off the TV and sat and listened. The whole album is great, such an easy listen... tracks like "Since I Seen't You" and "Charlene" are personal records that most will really relate to... then it gets even more intimate as the CD goes on, my favourite tracks being "Better Days" & "Lucille" this album is no let down, and its hardly surprising Anthony Hamilton recieved no less than 3 Grammy Nominations. I recommend this album to anyone that likes soul & maybe to any RnB fans trying to flee the "pop" nature of that genre.

Comin' From Where I'm From
Comin' From Where I'm From by Anthony Hamilton (Audio CD - 2004)